Oh, oh!

Guest FreFord

Guest FreFord

Lost the keys to my '51 Wayfarer, doors locked, etc. Any suggestions for "breaking in" so I can at least hot wire and move it?

Many thanks.

I am not familiar with these vehicles. Here are a couple of tricks from my arsenal...

The window frame on the top of the door can often be sprung out enough to get a wire in.

Push down lock buttons can be hooked with a wire as above or you can spring the window just enough to feed in a loop of plastic packing strap (it is often blue), then slide it down, hook it over the button and pull the button up. You can move the loop in or out by pushing one leg of the loop through after you have it in position. You need to put a sharp crease in the strap (i.e. fold it in half first and hammer the fold to put a crease in it) to do this.

Can you open the boot (er, trunk)? Can you push the rear seat back forward and crawl through?

Pull the top of the window frame gently out at the top.

Get a length of that blue plastic tension stuff they use to go around cartons.

Make a loop at one end and push the loop through the gap at the top of the window.

The loop will push through the gap and open up on the inside of the car.

Holding both ends of the plastic at your end push one end slightly towards the car and the loop inside the car will get bigger.

While holding the plastic manouver it down to the bottom of the window so that the loop goes over the door lock knob.

pull the plastic towards you and up at the same time and the door lock should pull up and unlock the door.

I've used this many times to help people.

Hope it helps

Ian

My father reposed cars for banks for 30 years from 1960 to 1990.  He used a "Slim-Jim" that is about 1/16 inch thick and 1/2 inch wide.  It has a "L" hook at the bottom to catch the the lock button mechanism.  Slide in down between the window and the door near the button.  Do a google search on "Slim Jim door lock"

Depending on the size of the town where the car is located, a local cop usually knows how to use a Slim Jim.  It is surprising how many people lock their keys in the car & call the police.

Several years ago, our local lock smith used some chalk on a blank key & created a key without taking the car door lock off the car.