63 Rear bumper rubber filler

powerage

Matt,

Are you an Riviera Owner's Association member? If not you should join as the club is an invaluable resource both for its newsletter and its members. If you are, look in the back of the Riview and contact any of the several vendors and you should be able to come up with some. To give you a some to start with in case you strike out on the forum try: Larry Daisy, 928-530-8853 riviera60s@aol.com, Tim Sweely, 916-350-4574, elco1979@yahoo.com or Gene Guarnere, 610-359-8901, abandg@aol.com. Gene is at the convention right now but, you may be able to get in touch with him. Hope this helps.

Bill

I looked at mine this morning and they are barely visible under the edge of the bumper. I remember cleaning them and putting them back on. They used a small flat pinch clip that I wasn't real happy with. I know I used trim adhesive on the outboard corners to be sure they were tight. The flap the fuel neck comes through is another item to remember.

Bernie

• 1 year later...

Where the heck do they go on a 65???? Every company that sells them claims all 3 years, so I bought some when we put the car back together after paint, and nobody could figure where gheh went.

21 hours ago, slosteve said:

I bought a pair of these also and am wondering how to install them as my car didn't have them when I bought it.

Steve

Steve,

You will have to remove the rear bumper. Attached are some pictures of when I had my rear bumper off. My bumper fillers were all there. I cleaned them up and painted them, which of course you will not have to do. I think from the pictures you can make out the clips and the filler. My original clips were there and held the filler nice and tight. The rubber is contoured to fit the shape of the metal it attaches to and the contour of the bumper.  My filler is not visible when the bumper is on. I hope this helps.

Bill

August 001.JPG

August 002.JPG

August 003.JPG

August 004.JPG

August 005.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, telriv said:

My original fillers were NOT painted & looked like old cut up tire tubes as well as the front splash shields around the upper control arms.  I know this for a FACT as I am the original owner.

Tom,

I was not trying to imply that they should be or were ever painted originally. Mine also looked like old black tire tubes that were cut up. Except that they were 50+ year old cut up black tire tubes with 50+ years of grime, grease, etc. on them and frankly looked like crap. I CHOSE to clean them and paint them before reinstalling. No more no less.

Bill

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Steve,

You will have to remove the rear bumper.The rubber is contoured to fit the shape of the metal it attaches to and the contour of the bumper. I hope this helps.

Bill

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos, Bill. You were very helpful in helping me discover that mine were not made for my '65, which has that 'valance' below the bumper running straight across with no dips or curves and no holes for the clips.

Steve