Help Identifying Seat Belt Anchor Bolts

Riviera63

Hi,

Back in January I had ordered some chrome seat belt anchor bolts from Classic Industries. I had read somewhere that their FB 64 seat belt anchor bolts were the correct fit for my 63 Riv. They are 1 1/4" long, 13/16" head and have a 1/2' shoulder.They are advertised on their site as fitting 64-66 GM cars and having a "fine " thread. The thread they have is not fine or at least as fine as the thread needed for the seat belts in my car. I have attached a picture of one and am wondering if anyone could tell what cars they might work on? I have not yet identified the actual thread they do have. As near as I could tell there would be 14 threads per inch if that helps. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_2014.JPG

Everything looks correct from the picture but the thread count.  I'm not positive but I thought that the thread count was 7/16" fine thread.  I don't know if I can find my box of seat belt stuff and verify that for you but when I bought new seat belt bolts, I got mine from Wesco Perfomance and they threaded into the existing holes in my floor board.  One of the anchors was broken off under the drivers seat, so I also got some of their anchors to replace the missing one (how one disappears, I don't know but...) and four more to install rear seat belts.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/boltkit.html

Ed

55 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Everything looks correct from the picture but the thread count.  I'm not positive but I thought that the thread count was 7/16" fine thread.  I don't know if I can find my box of seat belt stuff and verify that for you but when I bought new seat belt bolts, I got mine from Wesco Perfomance and they threaded into the existing holes in my floor board.  One of the anchors was broken off under the drivers seat, so I also got some of their anchors to replace the missing one (how one disappears, I don't know but...) and four more to install rear seat belts.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/boltkit.html

Ed

Ed,

For the bolts that will work I believe you are correct that it is 7/16" fine thread. For the bolt I have pictured that does not work, I was wondering if anyone could identify what the thread was and/or give me any idea what cars those bolts would work on. I had them listed and described on e-bay exactly as Classic Industries has them listed and described, 64-66 GM cars, etc. One of the e-bay vendors contacted me and said those were not the correct thread for 64-66 GM but, for 67 through....? I am just trying to ascertain what they would be correct for so that I can sell them. Thanks.

Bill

Take the bolt you have to your local hardware store.  Back in the nuts and bolts section you should be able to find a thread gauge.  See what your bolt threads into.  You'll then know what you have.  Then  buy a couple of the ones that you think will fit knowing what gauge they are and see which one fits into the holes in your floorboard.  Then you'll know what to buy.  I think the 13/16" head is correct and the 1/2" shoulder.  

Although Wesco doesn't show them, I think they have chrome ones.

Ed

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

Ed,

For the bolts that will work I believe you are correct that it is 7/16" fine thread. For the bolt I have pictured that does not work, I was wondering if anyone could identify what the thread was and/or give me any idea what cars those bolts would work on. I had them listed and described on e-bay exactly as Classic Industries has them listed and described, 64-66 GM cars, etc. One of the e-bay vendors contacted me and said those were not the correct thread for 64-66 GM but, for 67 through....? I am just trying to ascertain what they would be correct for so that I can sell them. Thanks.

Bill

Bill,

I would call Classic Industries. Maybe they sent you the wrong (as in not the ones you ordered) bolts?

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Bill,

I would call Classic Industries. Maybe they sent you the wrong (as in not the ones you ordered) bolts?

Tom

Tom,

I called Classic Industries earlier today. They did give me credit for them because they did not fit. They told me not to send them back as according to them it would cost as much for me to send them back as I would get credit. This made me think that maybe they did make a mistake packaging the bolts incorrectly. According to the packaging they are the correct ones. I just would like to identify what size they are. These are nice bolts and are no good to me. Somebody out there could use them. I am going to go to the hardware store tomorrow to check the thread size. I thought in the meantime someone might know what size thread they are and what they might fit. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_2013.JPG

Wouldn't be be nice if GM Division could have gotten their heads together and use the same bolt on all cars.......is that too much to ask?

Here are 3 different seat belt bolts ....all from GM cars, but don't ask which ones....I don't remember

DSCN0223x.jpg

That middle one should show  7/16-20......guess the phone rang.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Thanks for the pictures. That helps verify what I found out at the hardware store. I believe from what I have been able to piece together they started the coarse thread in 1967. Of course, it would be too easy to make them all the same. That would make sense. I found out something disturbing yesterday when I was trying to find chrome bolts from various suppliers that were 7/16"thread. If the supplier doesn't have the specifics listed for the bolts, length, bolt head size, shoulder size, thread type that is because they don't know. I had a service rep call the company that manufactures and sells the bolts to them. They could not give us that information as they said they did not know either. Really?

Bill

I just looked at a catalog from classicindustries (www.classicindustries.com) 1947-2001 Chevy-GMC truck catalog and they have about 5 different designs.

Their Full size Chevy passanger car catalog has similar bolts but none of the list the thread size and they don't have chrome.

Eckler's ElCamino catalog list 3 different part numbers but only shows one photo, and no thread sizes

Being fair with GM, seat belts did not become standard until '67,  so I hope they were working on a plan to standardize.

• 4 years later...