Dirty 52 Special

Guest Jim Winistoerfer

Except for the engine issues, this is AWESOME you not only found it, but ended up buying it.  So cool to have that piece of family history ... congrats!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"This can't be the end" __ Bertie Higgins __ 'Key Largo'

• Like 1

The aluminum foil method is a good one.  I've never tried it with Coke though; probably enough acid in the Coke to speed up the process.  I know that this not Buick related but here's an example of what a pad of aluminum foil and some water will do to clean up surface rust.  This is a Schwinn Typhoon that I restored.  Repainted - yes; rechromed - no, just an aluminum foil pad and lots of elbow grease.  The dents were removed from the fender with a small English wheel.100_3949.JPG

100_3952.JPG

100_3958.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

100_4201.JPG

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The bike looks so nice, a few weeks ago,YOU couldn't even spell RESTORER, now you are one.

I have cleaned chrome too, but you will need to keep an eye on the work, it is prone to spot rust again, but it is controllable. IMO

Keep up the tasks of bringing the Buick back to life.  There is a ton of good info bits & pieces on this site.

Dale in Indy

Guest Jim Winistoerfer

First pass on the front seat with a carpet cleaner. Water only.  I'm leary of using detergent on it.

FB_IMG_1464802270448.jpg

Guest Jim Winistoerfer

Filled all cylinders up. All drained through the first hour but the bad one. Been soaking a week, no movement.  Thinking about trying something called metal rescue. Anyone ever try it?

FB_IMG_1464918755939.jpg

Looks like good progress is being made! Does it turn over now?

Going to your comment about the weight the head, when I brought mine into the machine shop, the machinist said that he gets engine blocks in that are much lighter than the head from my '41!

Keith

• Like 1

You will get more leverage to turn the engine with a  12 inch tool between the block and ring gear teeth than a 12 foot tool on the front of the crankshaft.

For stubborn engines I get some threaded rod the same size as the head bolts and a 1/4 inch plate and some nuts and use the plate and nuts to push some wood blocks down on the piston.  If that does not work or there are multiple frozen pistons, I install the metal plate over a head gasket over the cylinder after filling the cylinder with transmission fluid.  Next drill and tap for a grease fitting over the piston an pump grease in. (hand grease gun = 6,000 psi).  That may not move the piston, but will often force some fluid past the piston.

• Like 2