1927 Gardner

Guest sullivan1

It will need paint and looks to have been laying their a while so some mechanical TLC will also drive the price down.  However with the amount of machinery he is probably smart to have an auctioneer who specializes in that rather than the car.  What he will lose on the car he will more than make on the machinery.    I wish I was their to bid on the car. :)

Interesting car, beautiful styling, attractive colors!

I alerted a Gardner car enthusiast to tell him about the car.

Here are a few questions for the auctioneer:

The Model 90 had different styling--are you sure this is a Model 90?

A Gardner had a different hood ornament--a griffin--from what this car has.

From prior knowledge of this car--Is this particular example's engine from a Chrysler?  It should be a Lycoming.

And are those Gardner wheels?

I have not seen this car in person, but do have a number of photos of the car.  I'm the president of the Gardner Car Club.  The car is a 1927 model 80 which came with a Lycoming GT engine 226 CID and has a 122" w/b. 

The '27 model 90 is a full Classic with the CCCA the model 80 is not a Classic.  The car was restored in the 1960's and today has a Chrysler eight cyl engine.  The original transmission was Warner and I don't know if this 

has the right one or not.  The wheels look like 1930 wheels, most 80's came with wood wheels.  The hood ornament should be a Griffin.  I would like to see someone in the AACA buy this car, I just want him/her to have a

good idea what it is.  Attached are some of my photos. 

A club member does list a 1927 Gardner model 90 roadster for sale on my web site www.gardnermotorcars.com

Maybe one will show up at the Made in St Louis Meet for Moon/Gardner/Dorris June 9-12

27-rstr-01.jpg

1927-rstr02.JPG

27-rstr-03.jpg

Gardner Roadster.jpg

Rumble.jpg

1927-Rstr-67.jpg

30 minutes ago, prewar40 said:

I have not seen this car in person, but do have a number of photos of the car.  I'm the president of the Gardner Car Club.  The car is a 1927 model 80...

Amazing how much expertise there is in the A.A.C.A.!

Such knowledge will be very helpful to any interested purchasers.

Sorry about the oversized pictures.  We often point out what is wrong and skip what is right with a car like this. To me the body looks very good,

and it has some of the unique parts used by Gardner.  Only one step plate is shown if the second one matches you have the two correct ones.

The headlights are correct, the top and top supports near the rumble lid are correct. Instrument cluster and steering wheel are right.  The horn

button and spark, throttle, and light control probably function but are not Gardner. 

As for Classic; the high end Gardner became a Classic about 6 years ago, the mid-line Gardner a Classic about 2 years ago the entry level

may one day become one as well??  It was an expensive car when new $1,495 FOB St. Louis - (this was the deluxe model). Trunk, trunk rack,

dual side mounts and wire wheels all extra.  As for the Lycoming GT engine it was used by Auburn, Elcar, Gardner and Roamer (maybe others).

Just some information for anyone bringing their checkbook to the auction.

If anyone is interested in the car, I am going to go to the auction, PM me and I will bid for you/ no charge and you just have to tell me how much you would want to bid.

Well, shucks, if you're going to buy it for me, sky's the limit!

Seriously, that's a nice offer for someone interested in the car and unable to attend...any guesses as to value?  Being non-classic, I'm thinking 20-25K if it runs?  I really have no idea of Gardner values, just a WAG...

The swapped engine is a bit of an issue.   I'll agree with you Dave that around 20k if it runs seems reasonable.   The 1930 I posted has been for sale for 70k for a while, but that is the big engine, a full Classic and probably 1 of 1.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The swapped engine is a bit of an issue....

Evidently Gardner parts aren't the easiest to locate, even among Gardner experts.

A wrong engine;  unknown transmission;  wrong wheels;  wrong mascot;

incorrect steering wheel controls;  maybe not running;  and a restoration 45 years old.

The best buyer would be a dedicated Gardner man or woman

who will get it operational, be dedicated to finding or reproducing

the needed correct parts,  and bring this mid-sized car back to glory! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

Well, shucks, if you're going to buy it for me, sky's the limit!

Seriously, that's a nice offer for someone interested in the car and unable to attend...any guesses as to value?  Being non-classic, I'm thinking 20-25K if it runs?  I really have no idea of Gardner values, just a WAG...

Not sure I can buy it for you, but I will help someone else buy it, I have enough with the Lexington and the 2 Buick's to keep me out of trouble, plus I'm looking at 4 more Lexington's to purchase. 

A couple of updates.  The phaeton is sold and is probably on a ship right now.  The correct engine does come up every once in a while but they are not common.

If your goal is a #1 concours car it will be $$$.  However if your goal is to repaint, fix a few things until you find the correct engine it could be a good car to start with.

Think about bringing an unrestored car to level 3 and think about restoring this one to level 3.  I'm not part of this sale, I just want someone who reads the AACA

forum to put it in his garage. 

The auction house gave me a photo to post.  I'll try to size this one right.  If any one finds out the high bid please post it here.

1927-rstr-03.jpg

Edited by prewar40 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, prewar40 said:

...The phaeton is sold and is probably on a ship right now.  ...

Evidently, then, they sold it before the scheduled June 7 auction. 

(Is that acceptable, once an item is advertised, to an auctioneer's code of ethics?)

And you wonder what the high bid was.  How could there be an organized series of bids before the auction?

Do you know what country it's going to?  I hope a good home in a stable, civilized country.

It should have been the next Gardner in your garage, Prewar40!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The roadster is still going to the auction.  It is the 1930 phaeton that was in the CCCA magazine that sold and is on its way to Switzerland.

It went to someone related to the family that built these cars.  This particular phaeton was one of the cars Gardner took to the New York

auto show in Jan 1930, then to Chicago where it was sold.  Low mileage and in a museum for years it was bought by Harrah and on display

in Reno for many years.  Not many cars can be documented from 1930 to today.  ALSANCLE provided the picture of the phaeton.

Only one Gardner had a Continental engine - the 1930 Gardner Griffin a Front Wheel Drive car.  They had talks with Archie Andrews about building

the Ruxton and Andrews was to bing $$$ into the deal, Andrews did not come up with any money and Gardner went ahead and made their own FWD

it only got as far as a prototype.  The likely reason for this one time Continental engine was that it was something like 6 inches shorter than the Lycoming.

Look at the design of the car and then think it was build in the fall of 1929!  These may be the only color images.  Any one know of a car built in 1929

with this type of grill?  Besides Duesenberg.

FWD-color3.jpg

FWD-GRILL-3.jpg

Edited by prewar40 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, prewar40 said:

A couple of updates.  The phaeton is sold and is probably on a ship right now.  The correct engine does come up every once in a while but they are not common.

If your goal is a #1 concours car it will be $$$.  However if your goal is to repaint, fix a few things until you find the correct engine it could be a good car to start with.

Think about bringing an unrestored car to level 3 and think about restoring this one to level 3.  I'm not part of this sale, I just want someone who reads the AACA

forum to put it in his garage. 

The auction house gave me a photo to post.  I'll try to size this one right.  If any one finds out the high bid please post it here.

1927-rstr-03.jpg

I agree, I don't want to buy it, but I'm close to the auction and I would like to see it go to a forum member, versus it being a hot rod or go over seas.  No offense to the Hot Rod group, it's a pretty nice rare car, not perfect by any means, but neither am I.

• 2 years later...

Need a left rear axle for 1927 Gardner   8BS42915  lycoming engine 4HM12298 

Shaft is 32.25 long  6 splines length 2.31  OD 1.44  end thread 1.0   V200 cast into housing  Columbia  stamped on axle shaft

Also need the left inner bearing  Bock # 03520   and seals

I understand Auburn   Cord similar parts

Call with any information  484-553-2042  Dean

•