1977 Nova or 1977 Mustang? + Dodge sedan!

Which would you rather drive &/or own:
1977 Chevrolet Nova or 1977 Ford Mustang!?
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/04/21/thursday-survey-60/

Spotted in South Dakota, a Dodge sedan with a vintage wooden building in the background:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/04/22/friday-photo-60/

Cool color combo on this scale model Chevelle, black & blue:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/04/23/scale-saturday-60/

Cort ;) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic
"We were shinin' like lighters in the dark in the middle of a rock show" __ Jake Owen __ 'Barefoot Blue Jean Night'

Only 77 of interest was the Pontiac Phoenix that was on the NOVA platform (as was the Caddy Seville in 75 also an interesting car). Had a GP dash and was the first GM car with oval headlights. A few were built with V8s and 4-speeds.

I would take the Nova, in fact I did in 1977.  I bought a Rally Nova, 2dr with 305 and auto trans.  It had HD suspension and handled quite well.  It was a very good car, decent gas mileage and fun to drive.

Terry

Certainly the Nova. 1975-79 X cars finally got all the suspension together. They handle great plus if you want them to handle better all the parts are there out of the GM parts book. Pontiac Trans Am and Camaro Z28 use the same front sub assembly and Cadillac Seville. This means you can tailor the car to your needs. HD springs, Sway bars, fast ratio steering boxes, rear disc brakes, Cadillac Seville 5 on five wheel lugs and 15" rims for Cadillac's 12" disc brake rotors.

I special ordered this Omega Brougham in 1976.  Now at 114,000 miles. Original Paint, interior, Just routine service and runs like a Swiss watch. Never thought I'd have it for 40 years.

img_0125.jpg

img_0124.jpg

About 1984 or '85 I bought a black 1978 Nove 2dr, V8, 4 speed, red bucket seats. It made me smile pulling through the gears. I bought it from the first owner who ordered it through Van Bortel's  Chevy/Rolls dealership in Palmyra, New York. He had a tough time with the salesman who kept telling him he was confused and wanted a Camaro. Finally the order went in at their famous $1 over invoice price. I still have a bumper sticker advertising that somewhere. Anyway, the car came in through Hallman Chevy in Rochester and had to be driven the hour's drive to Shady Deals. People saw it through the impound fence at Hallman's and on the lot at Van Bortel's. Five calls had come in on the car and the salesman asked the buyer if he could sell it and order another for him. The little old man told him to sell them a Camaro and showed me the gesture he gave the salesman, Sicilian sign language I think. It was my driver for a few years. I think it is still around. I have seen an article on an FBI spec 4 door that I'd like.

New car salesmen, no imagination. I'm trying to buy a new Silverado trimmed out with the options I would have bought on a 1970, basically the same as my '05. They can't comprehend the options I want.

Bernie

Only 77 of interest was the Pontiac Phoenix that was on the NOVA platform

Yep, I remember the Phoenix!  Some family friends had a tan one, iirc.

On May 2, 2016 at 7:56 AM, TerryB said:

I would take the Nova, in fact I did in 1977.  I bought a Rally Nova, 2dr with 305 and auto trans.  It had HD suspension and handled quite well.  It was a very good car, decent gas mileage and fun to drive.

Cool, Terry!

On May 2, 2016 at 11:13 AM, helfen said:

I special ordered this Omega Brougham in 1976.  Now at 114,000 miles. Original Paint, interior, Just routine service and runs like a Swiss watch. Never thought I'd have it for 40 years.

img_0125.jpg

img_0124.jpg

I'm glad you still have it ... it is a gorgeous color.  Love those gold wheels on it, too.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"So many people have come and gone; their faces fade as the years go by" __ Boston __ 'More Than A Feeling'

1 hour ago, ScarredKnightfan said:

Yep, I remember the Phoenix!  Some family friends had a tan one, iirc.

Cool, Terry!

I'm glad you still have it ... it is a gorgeous color.  Love those gold wheels on it, too.

"So many people have come and gone; their faces fade as the years go by" __ Boston __ 'More Than A Feeling'

FYI, the gold color is not stock. Those wheels are stock Olds Super Stock wheels, however they originally were painted body color ( dark blue ). The white interior is all original,  took a little time at the zone office to get it that way as all broughams came with velour upholstery fabric. I wanted something that would clean up better. I've never seen another one like it, and the white against the outside dark blue really pops.

Thanks for the complement! 

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

My Rally Nova did have gold rims, the snap in Chevy center caps, and Uniroyal wide tires with raised white letters.  The car was painted was burnt orange with gold rally stripes too.

Terry

Still kick myself today as in '79 I had a chance to buy my own brand new 9C1 Police Package Nova. I worked at a Chevy dealership that ordered two instead of one. Once the new car sales manager found out that I was looking at it he was all over me like a cheap suit. Only problem was that I could not talk my new bride into trading her non A/C Pinto off for a black four door Nova. I even offered to give her my 77 El Camino that she loved (modified 350, Corvette YJ8 wheels) as she didn't want another car payment. 

On May 8, 2016 at 0:14 AM, helfen said:

FYI, the gold color is not stock. Those wheels are stock Olds Super Stock wheels, however they originally were painted body color ( dark blue ). The white interior is all original,  took a little time at the zone office to get it that way as all broughams came with velour upholstery fabric. I wanted something that would clean up better. I've never seen another one like it, and the white against the outside dark blue really pops.

Thanks for the complement! 

YW! I wondered if that gold was stock, but wasn't sure it was.  Appreciate the clarification.  & yes, I agree about the white vs the outside dark blue!

On May 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM, TerryB said:

My Rally Nova did have gold rims, the snap in Chevy center caps, and Uniroyal wide tires with raised white letters.  The car was painted was burnt orange with gold rally stripes too.

Terry

Oh my ... 1 of my favorite colors ... burnt orange!  Was the interior tan, by chance?

On May 9, 2016 at 5:21 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Shouldn't that Phoenix rise again?  Just thinkin.

LOL!  Yes.... ;)

"Don't let your life pass you by" __ Sarah McLachlan __ 'I Will Remember You'

Guest Chef Voyardee
On May 2, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Sadly, they didn't build any Mustangs between 1974 and 1978...

???

image.jpeg