Four Chime Musical Horns

c49er

Has anyone information on when, or who might have made these after market musical horns.

They are 6 volt and they do play. There are four red key buttons you push to play the horns....

I have never seen a set like this for sale.

I Bought them at the Portland swap meet last weekend from an old fellow who said they have been in his barn for 40 years or more..

I can find no markings on them either so far..

Vintage Four Trumpet Musical Horns (5).JPG

Vintage Four Trumpet Musical Horns.JPG

Growing up in the hobby in the 1970's, it seemed everyone had these in their 20's and 30's Packards, Buicks, Fords etc and played them frequently on tours. Those along with Wolf whistles used when pretty girls were passed by on the tour route.

Tom Muth

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have an identical set  (Four-note and same color)  and more information about these.  My dad had these from the late 1940s. I  am out of the country until mid-May, but will provide you with some details when I can.

I would like to find a music sheet or info on playing songs.  

Edited by Dick R
Spelling (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

I'm resurrecting this old post because I hope to find info. on a very similar 5 trumpet horn set that I posted a picture of in the Memorabilia section here last month. I posted it under  my topic of "Noisemakers". Mine is very possibly by the same manufacturer, but is also unmarked (may have had a decal at one time?). It was purchased (used) by me in the late 70's at Hershey, and is the only 5 trumpet set of this type that I've ever seen. At 16 pounds it would need a real sturdy place to mount!

I've made a new keyboard for it to replace the missing one, and someday hope to install it on my "driver" 1937 Terraplane. Anything regarding identification, wiring, or other helpful info. would be truly appreciated! 

Thanks,   Bob

image.thumb.png.588d2f68770f25735529f0d824988017.png

Edited by Bob Barrett
double picture (see edit history)

It would appear that you have six buttons on that panel.

I am no musician but wonder if there would be five notes that one could play with successfully?

V/Ls 57 Ford had a non op electronical thingie under the dash that I got to working. It is programed to play several tunes thru one of those cheapo speaker horns.

Maybe she would play us a tune.....

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Bob, I recently took a horn assembly off of one of my cars that have relay covers that look exactly like what you show in your earlier post.

If I recall they had a decal that made me think that they may have been a Sears accessory.

I cant seem to find a good picture of them, but they are up for grabs as I have changed horns.

Puyallup show 001.jpg

JackMild_to_Wild.jpg

Craig, I can't say for sure if it was used for something other than a car, although if the 4 trumpet horns were for a car, why not add one more to the line-up.  LOL  Hopefully, someone will come up with an original ad or something to answer that possibility. Thanks.

Jack M., You're right. I made my keyboard with 6 buttons in case I wanted a button to hit all 5 at once, or if I needed one to turn power on to a separate horn circuit. On the set that you removed from your car (nice ride!), were they 5 trumpet? Also, the possible Sears connection is interesting. Thanks!

Bob 

No, just a simple two horn set up that a friend gave me.

I wish I had a better pic to show the horns, but if you look closely you can see the two.

They hung on the front of that car for several years, but I found something I liked better.

I occasionally see a post where folks bemoan the fact that people ask a question and then never follow up if/when they find an answer. So.......here's "the rest of the story".  These horns were apparently made by E.A. Laboratories in Brooklyn, NY. ca. 1940's. Some examples that I found had identifying decals on the relays which may well have worn off on my set. E.A. Laboratories was the leader in musical auto horns at that time, as well as supplying most of the major auto makers with a wide variety of horns, windshield wipers, heaters, etc.

I found a history of the company on The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange forum:  thecabe.com/forum/threads/good-ea-laboratories-article.153493/  . It's an interesting piece of automobile industry history.

Incidentally, these 5 trumpet sets seem to be difficult to find. The hours of research digging for information turned up a number of 3 and a few 4 trumpet sets. However, only 1 incomplete 5 trumpet set showed up (the only one I've found after many years of searching). Although I expect that there are more out there considering the size of the manufacturer.

That's about it, but I would still welcome any additional facts.

Thanks,  Bob

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 12:10 PM, Bob Barrett said:

I occasionally see a post where folks bemoan the fact that people ask a question and then never follow up if/when they find an answer. So.......here's "the rest of the story".  These horns were apparently made by E.A. Laboratories in Brooklyn, NY. ca. 1940's. Some examples that I found had identifying decals on the relays which may well have worn off on my set. E.A. Laboratories was the leader in musical auto horns at that time, as well as supplying most of the major auto makers with a wide variety of horns, windshield wipers, heaters, etc.

I found a history of the company on The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange forum:  thecabe.com/forum/threads/good-ea-laboratories-article.153493/  . It's an interesting piece of automobile industry history.

Incidentally, these 5 trumpet sets seem to be difficult to find. The hours of research digging for information turned up a number of 3 and a few 4 trumpet sets. However, only 1 incomplete 5 trumpet set showed up (the only one I've found after many years of searching). Although I expect that there are more out there considering the size of the manufacturer.

That's about it, but I would still welcome any additional facts.

Thanks,  Bob

I have been watching this thread for a long time...

I thank you for your answer.

I am the original poster.

I have learned plenty from this thread.👍