Strange body on an Essex?

Vintman

Hi Folks,

Would appreciate your help again. The attached rather grainy photo from the USA seems to show a cca 1921 Essex Touring; smaller bowl headlamps, slatted radiator. At least, the windscreen seems to be a Tourer because it is raked rather than upright as on sedans. However the side windows seem to have a 'sedan' type of 'body' which seem s to be too good as add-on weatherproofing. Either this is something 'special' or it ‘aint an Essex??

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-101031-0-69897000-1455623716_thumb.

Edited by Vintman (see edit history)

Hi Folks,

Many thanks dodedh2 for your thoughts. I doubt it was a factory option and I did notice the comment mentioned by Leif in the Standard Catalogue. It would seem that the car is a cca 1921 Essex Touring and that it indeed has been fitted with an aftermarket 'California Top'. I could not find any pictures anywhere of an Essex Tourer with that type of roof. Interesting to trawl through the various 'California Top' makers. It seems trhat the Gould top would be a close match.

Again, Many thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK)

Here is a photo of a door top to make a touring car with the California into more of a closed car.

I wish I had more photos of the set up.

Hi 28 Chrysler...

Small world; I was really squinting to see if that was a pic of a car I once owned...then could see the light blue car parked sideways in front of it!

Not only is my old car(s), but that pic was in my yard, so I must have taken the pic

That car is a 20 Reo with a All-weather top added when new.  It had a drop down panel above the drivers compartment which still had the never used side curtains to be used in summer rains when the solid door tops were removed in spring.  The curtains still had the instruction tag still stuck to them.

That car was loaded with add-ons when new; huge 35x5? Hayes wire wheels, bumpers, and lots more I forget right now

I should try to restart my old PC, as I have tons of detail pics of the entire car.....if I can get it to work

Edit, trying to recall the top manufacturer tag above the windshield.....I like to say Rex-A-something?  I know I have a clear pic of the tag too.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a photo of a door top to make a touring car with the California into more of a closed car.

I wish I had more photos of the set up.

Update on pics of my former Reo with Rex top....   I don't know if AACA rules allow me to post a link of a lot of my pics and repairs to that car, on a different car website?   I can't post the link until I know

I did find it and read all 8 pages with pics.  I totally forgot that I also showed a couple other old cars I had...and totally forgot that one was a 1918 Stude wrecker made from a touring, a long way back.. In the thread, I show that I found a super rare  REX ROADSTER hardtop for a big roadster, and I fit it on the Stude.  That top was missing the door extensions,. but still a good find

post-101902-0-77022000-1456022325_thumb.

post-101902-0-10900000-1456022353_thumb.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...