1917-18 Buick Photo — Custom body work?

allcars

Just finished digitally restoring this photo, which was badly torn and cracked when I got it. I'm betting those of you who know these early Buick tourings well may be able to tell me more about this circa 1917-18 example. In addition to the wire wheels and obvious non-standard  "Victoria" half-top (a type that was briefly in vogue around that time), it seems to have some custom body work, specifically around the upper body. It has something on the front seat back cowl that I first thought was a flip-up windshield, but might that be a "parade bar"? It bears a 1917 New York license plate and proudly carrying a pair of American flags—which may indicate the photo was taken after the US entered World War I.

post-76738-0-31605800-1453402152_thumb.j

Terry, it was an online auction find, came to me from a seller here in Michigan. The 1917 New York plate and American flags are the only indication of where it was taken. The radiator emblem and hubcaps are marked only Buick...McLaughlin may have had their own versions? There is a signature and date in white at lower right, but it is so faint I cannot make it out for sure...it may read, "White, '17." No other markings front or back. The 14 x 16-inch original photo was tinted back in the day (the emblem is blue and white) and mounted on paper board. It had been framed at one time.

I will say that the car given that it has a 1917 license plate on it is a late model '17 or a 1918. 

The reason is that from what I have seen there was a mid year change to the fenders from a flat fender which was 1917  to a rounded fender seen in 1918. 

I believe that the rounded fender was the model change for '18.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wonderful picture! Seems to demonstrate that the car in my image is essentially a production E-55, except for the accessory Victoria top and tonneau rail or windshield. I agree with Larry, it does look like that is one of the two 1910 Buick "Bugs" down the row. Also notice the very early Buick touring car, ca. 1904-05, which is facing away from the camera behind and to the left in the display. It is impressive to see that Buick was already emphasizing their experience and performance heritage with these older cars. Do you know where the photo was taken?

Rod, I love that photo that you posted.  Getting back to the first photo though.  There is something really unusual about that car.  The front license plate and the American flags really make me think the photo was taken here in this country.  Larry, crowned fenders were introduced fairly early in the 1916 model year.  The '55' model designation started in 1914 with the 'B' series and continued through 1915 and 1916 with 'C' and 'D' series respectively.  ALL three of these models were 7-Passenger Touring's and used the BIG SIX engine.  The '55' model was dropped at the end of the 1916 model run.  The model 49 took its place.  The '55' model designation was re-introduced as a 1922 Sport Touring seating 4 Passengers.  The Big Six engine was only used in three model years and I am convinced that the car in the photo is NOT one of them.  The wire wheels are another feature that just doesn't quite fit the average Buick automobile at that time.  They were an expensive option in their time.  I have a lot of sales material from this time period and nothing shows up in there that comes close to what is shown in this photo.  I'm hoping that someone out there can shed some light on the body angle.  Guys, I am at a loss on this one.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Larry, Could it be that the 4-cylinder models did some things different?  I know that in 1916, and fairly early in the production run, the headlight buckets went to being mounted on the inside of the fenders with a tie bar between them. The frame mounted headlight forks went away and the fenders went to the crowned style when this change was made.  Again, these changes were made to the six cylinder models that I know about.  That car in the first photo is definitely later than 1916.  The radiator is noticeably taller than a 1916 model.  The louvers in the hood side panels are different than on the 16's.  The windshield posts are canted rearward.  The 1916 models (6 Cylinder) had windshield posts that were straight up and down.  This was done on the '16 models only in this time frame.  Look at the body configuration on the top back of the front seat.  Every '16 D-45 and D-55 that I have ever seen is not like that.  There is something different about that body in the photo, but, I don't know what it is.  I am thinking that this could be a mildly custom built body.  I have never seen a 'top' on a Buick built automobile like what is shown in the photo - ever.  This is going to take someone who is familiar with custom body builders at that time to tell us what this car is/was all about.  I'm sorry guys - this is out of my field of knowledge here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

Thanks for all the helpful and interesting discussion. I think the top is an accessory unit, such as dibarlaw spotted at Hershey. The folding "cape top" over the rear seat, such as seen on the Touring in the color-tinted photo, was characteristic of the horse-drawn open "Victoria" carriage before the appearance of the automobile. The Victoria carriages were prestige designs, used by prominent people who wanted to be seen but protected somewhat from inclement weather. The Victoria style tops seem to have come back into style as an accessory or custom feature for Touring Cars briefly, between about 1915 and 1918, as I've seen several photos of such installations on other makes, including Cadillacs and Marmons (but, like Terry W., I've never seen another Buick with such a top). Typically these Victoria-top cars had a tonneau windshield also installed and several I've seen were probably chauffer-driven. There is a non-Buick Touring Car equipped with the "cape top" visible in that great auto show photo ROD W posted...it is diagonally behind the Buicks, almost in the corner of the building. The cars directly behind the Buicks are Stutz models, but it appears the car with the Victoria top is a smaller make...can't make out the exhibitor name on the lamp post. I believe the top on the color-tinted Buick I originally posted is trimmed in leather, which wasn't uncommon for this type of top, I believe.

I am always on the lookout for wire wheels for my E- 6- 45 McLaughlin.  I have come across a few parts chasses over the years with wire wheel equipment and they have almost all been the model 49. The parts catalogs from this period show quite a few axle and hub differences between the model 45 and 49 cars.  I have always passed on the ones I have found  because of the transportation costs for parts that have a good chance of not fitting . If one was to turn up nearby no doubt I would take a chance that I could alter  the hubs to fit my axles. But so far no luck within a reasonable distance.

It makes sense the top of the line car would be the most likely to have expensive options.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)