1954 41-D, what to do with it?

Pete Phillips

I hauled this back from St. Louis last week; was at Paul Meyer's farm in St. Genevieve, MO, parked in the woods for decades. Stuck engine, good body, weak but intact floors, has power steering, Dynaflow, radio, 264 V8. I got it for a little more than scrap price, plus cost of driving 1200 miles to get it. I was going to take it apart and save the parts for when I do a '54 again, but I don't have the heart to take it apart. It is so complete and unmolested. Shows about 85000 miles if I remember correctly. Engine is stuck , but complete down to the spark plug covers, air cleaner, and battery hold=down. Seats have worn seat covers on them, probably original upholstery underneath. Glass is all good except for driver's door glass. Tires are all rotted and RF wheel will not turn. Yes, I tried backing off the brake shoes already. Still stuck.

Don't really want to restore it, as I will never get my $$$ back; will probably be upside down as soon as I buy new whitewalls for it, meaning I will have more $$$ in it than it is worth, but that's not the case yet.

Anybody want it for $1000? oRIGINAL paint, but looks like front clip has been replaced. Very solid car, but if I raise up the rubber floor mats and start poking around with a knife, I will probably find some small holes. trunk floor is solid. Stainless moldings are perfect; die-cast is pitted.

Suggestions? Interest? I tried to post on 1954 forum, but can't remember my user name or password, and can't get help. GRR! I hate passwords.

Pete Phillips

post-77451-0-35199600-1450843754_thumb.j

post-77451-0-49151200-1450843771_thumb.j

post-77451-0-44931700-1450843787_thumb.j

post-77451-0-54805600-1450843807_thumb.j

post-77451-0-89500800-1450843826_thumb.j

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

I'll see if my mailman might want it, to go with the Texas Pete Special I got from you and sold him a couple years ago.  Five years ago, I'd probably be telling you I'm on the way, leave the lights on. If you can shoot me some better pics incl data plate I'll try and find it a good home Pete.

Did you try the  "I forgot my password" thing  on the 54 Highway. I know...lot of trouble... Let me know if I can help get you on or post the car for you.

Texas Pete V

post-77380-0-66819100-1450893451_thumb.j

What to do with it? Restore it of course. :)

Interesting color combo on this 54. Turquoise with red interior/steering column.

Good call on the Gulf Turquoise

This could be a fun and relatively easy project. Especially if the seat material is good.floors are easy and not a bunch of body work needed. She would be beautiful painted back the original Arctic While over Gulf Turquoise. Thing is with a lower end car like this the work doesn't have to be meticulously done, just fun! Damn, if I was a young man!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dave5088

If I wasnt too far away, id be interested in the power steering setup. But otherwise, id restore it if I were you. That poor car is on the edge of entering the realm of the forgotten. With tears in its eyes even, saying.....Pete.....please.....dont forsake me. Lol.... i dunno.... no restoration really brings in profit. Not on most cars. Restoration is a deficit in monetary sense, but a gain in accomplishment and resurrection of a once doomed friend.

I personally haven't seen so many 1954 Buicks for sale within the last few years in this typical condition, either on this Forum or on the 1954 Buick Highway Forum. With that said and no takers on many of them, two ideas come to mind...

(1)  After salvaging all the goodies, donate the carcass and round up eighteen more of them and send them to Hull, GA. Paint each one of them a different color that was available when they were new and request that the Owner of Buick Gardens place them on his property in a similar fashion to what's shown in the attached link:   http://seniorcitizen.travel/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/gqycqfowbylv6hfrq3bs.jpg  Change the name of 'Buick Gardens' to 'The Buick Ranch.'

or

(2)  Extend Route 66 from OKC to Hull, GA and use the carcass as mile markers every 100 miles...nine going East and nine coming West. The nineteenth one could be installed at the now renamed (renowned?) 'Buick Ranch' high on a 50'-high revolving platform.  

Sorry, I can't think of anything better to use what's left of them right now. Are these good ideas or what? :o

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1