What he said. What he meant!

RivNut

Today I received an online copy of the Australian Riview and in it was this list of "What he said. What he meant!"  It was composed my Tom Kunek and I hope that I'm not violating any copyright or patent infringements by posting it here for you to read.  I think you'll get a kick out of it. 

Ed

Tom Kunek, ROA #3845 sorts out the hype from the facts in his review of car sales euphemisms.

From  THE AUSTRALIAN RIVIEW

What he said.                                                What he meant!

Restoration almost complete              Missing vital parts like windscreen, panels and diff

Restoration 80% complete                 Car is completely dismantled.

TLC needed                                       Total restoration required

Needs a little work                              Extensive restoration required

Show car                                            Not roadworthy

Must sell                                             I have plenty of time to think about your offer

Will accept cheaper car

as part payment                          I will never get full price on the $$$ I am asking

Known history                                    The service books are long gone

Great promotional vehicle                 Totally impractical

Great cruiser                                     Unable to stop or go round corners.

Has plenty of character #1                You will spend buckets of money to take part in this

special experience.

Has plenty of character #2               Odd people love this car

Has plenty of character #3               Only nasty critics hated this car

Lots of sheet metal for you money   Big without being roomy, slow without being quiet &

heavy without being well equipped.

Must sell - Going overseas               Does anybody really care where I will be going?

Firm                                                  Ring me in 2 months and I will still have the car.

Country miles                                   Very high miles

Concurs winner                                I want plenty for this ride.

All the hard work is done                 Run out of money and now it’s your turn.

Older restoration                             Yes, but needs it again.

No dreamers                                   I want my asking price

OBO                                                Try me.

Rare                                                No one wanted them then and almost no one now

Very rare                                         A colossal failure when new.

Reluctant sale                                 I want to look desperate

Fully restored                                  Looks really good to me.

Rust - Some rust                             Completely riddled with rust

Rust - little rust                                Lots of rust

Rust - No rust #1                             Possibly no rust

Rust - No rust #2                             You can't see any rust

Rust - No rust #3                             All rust painted over.

Refund of airfare to interstate          No one local will look at my car

purchaser

Economical                                      Underpowered

Custom                                            Spent lots of money which I will never recover

I still get a kick out of "XXX original miles"....what other kind of miles are there?  Non-original miles?  That, and the ones that claim "only xxxx original miles, full nut and bolt restoration from a perfect original"....I would argue that if the engine has been apart and rebuilt, "original" or any other kind of miles totally lose their meaning.

And I agree on "all the hard work is done"....really?  If that's the case, finish the "easy" work and then try to sell it....

OK Buick People: My favorite....they missed it completely...New Old Stock, the biggest hoax in the old car hobby. (Next is patina).

It ain't new because it was made 50 years ago.

It may never have been used but that's no guarantee the part is in mint condition.

Perhaps y'all can use the term "Unused old stock"?

It's not used, it's old and may have been in inventory .

Mitch

I have another one........

Must sell due to illness...........Really means I am sick to death of this car!

That one should go to the top of the list.  Should I be keeping track of the additions and adding them to the original?

Update:

I answered my own question.  Now, for you guys who offered "what he said", I need to know "what he meant."

Ran when parked   -  ???????

Engine disassembled for your inspection - ??????

Thanks

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

That one should go to the top of the list.  Should I be keeping track of the additions and adding them to the original?

Update:

I answered my own question.  Now, for you guys who offered "what he said", I need to know "what he meant."

Ran when parked   -  ???????

Engine disassembled for your inspection - ??????

Thanks

Ran when parked means  Stopped running so I parked it

Engine disassembled for your inspection I took apart but don't know how to put it together again

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)