Car collection bought

Guest Gary turbo baker

Guest Gary turbo baker

Hello all iam a newbie from England and have just bought three cars a 1924 dodge a model t tourer 1919 and a holsman high wheeler not sure of year 1906 I think has rope drive 4 seater in red

Gary,

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the Forums. If you're looking for information on the cars,

contact the AACA Library & Research Center in Hershey, PA.

http://www.aacalibrary.org/

In all likelihood, they'll have brochures, technical information and more on your new "fleet".

If you join the AACA, you'll get an hour and a half of free Library research,

plus our award-winning monthly magazine, "The Antique Automobile", and

access to the Member Roster, which lists owners of similar vehicles.

Not a pitch, just a suggestion to get you started. In the meantime,

browse these sub-Forums below for individual marques;

there's even a High-Wheeler Forum.

Happy Motoring,

TG

• Like 1

Guest AlCapone

You won't have trouble driving the "T" , if you forget everything you know about driving a later car. And start over again from scratch

Welcome to old cars and AACA

f

Huh ? Wayne

It's apparent that the cars were from England where Gary said he's from. They are right hand driven and wear English plates.There are quite a few of your countrymen already here but lots more from Australia and New Zealand. We'd love to have you join the club but it isn't necessary and it might be a higher dues rate due to postage across the pond. Welcome and hope to hear more from you.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Ki

It's apparent that the cars were from England where Gary said he's from. They are right hand driven and wear English plates.There are quite a few of your countrymen already here but lots more from Australia and New Zealand. We'd love to have you join the club but it isn't necessary and it might be a higher dues rate due to postage across the pond. Welcome and hope to hear more from you.

Likely correct but remember the ass u me suggestion. I recently purchased a RHD in Detroit and another in Canada. There are indeed

" varied collections all over the world.

Wayne

Great garage and neat cars - best of luck Gary!

B) 

Edited by AC Fuhrman (see edit history)

Guest Gary turbo baker

The dodge was sold from new from the standardised motors ltd, Castlereach st ,Sydney dealers in dodge brothers motor vehicles.

Still trying to find year of holsman.

And putting roof canopy together.

Will have a go at putting roof on model t.

Will start model t and dodge soon.

The Holsman serial number plate gave a 1902 patent date consequently, all too many Holsman owners call their cars 1902 and they are not.  There was a Holsman history book written some 20 odd years ago and then only 100 copies were printed.  I've got a copy in the bookcase.  If you give me your car's serial number, I will tell you what the book's best guess is on the date of your car.  Also if you had your motor number, I would appreciate it for my own interest.

Guest Gary turbo baker

Had a good look around engine but can not see any numbers , no number on log book no plaque on car. Fly wheel has a number.

Do you no where the number should be? Regards Gary

Hello Gary,

The book is "Holsman History 1901-1910" by Franklin B. Tucker.  The book was printed in 1994 and in the front it is stated only 100 copies were printed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Antique-Holsman-Horseless-Carriage-Gas-Engine-Highwheel-Car-Truck-Tractor-/400971881133?hash=item5d5bc95aad:g:RrsAAOSwpdpVaN4I&vxp=mtr

On ebay is a rough 1905 1906 early 1907 Holsman engine.  It is cast iron.  The later 1907 and 1908 had an aluminum center casting.  I don't have a Holsman, only a Holsman engine (got a spare engineless Holsman).  The engine number is in the middle 1600s if I remember right.  The number was located on the flywheel and had an M after it.  The matching number is lightly stamped into a jug, at the top just before it bolts to the center casting.  The best I can figure out is the engine is a 1908.

According to the book only one car was made in 1902,   It also says automobile serial numbers and engine numbers weren't the same.  The automobile serial number being assigned in lots as they were built and the engine number giving a little bit better description of the pecking order it was made.  

According to the book,

year,    vehicle no. ranges,   no. mfg.

1903     100-                        13

1904     200-                         50

1905     300-   400-              129

1906     500-   700-              389

1907     800-   1000-         206  cast iron engine

1907     1800-   2200-       542 aluminum center engine

1908     2300-   2700-       451 

1909     2800-   2900-        200  aluminum center engine

1909    The double rope sheaves were double flywheels for the engine and don't appear to look like your Holsman.

• 2 weeks later...