What is this? "standard PE 10 1/2" No clue what this is from...help please

Guest donbjazzbones

Guest donbjazzbones

It's a wall hanger for a Standard brand bathroom sink and I will guarantee my answer. Installed one very similar to it.

Lol For real? 

For real. That's exactly what it is. The 10 1/2 refers to the distance from center to center of the mounting tabs. You screw it to the wall using whatever holes line up with your studs and hang the sink from it. There is a mating piece on the back of the sink. Standard has been in the plumbing fixture business for many years.

Guest donbjazzbones

HAHAHAHA How sad but awesome is that! Thought i had a nice old engine part now its a sink mount :( Still cool though, ya learn something new everyday. Thanks alot man! 

Our original bathroom sink had a similar one. The main house was built in 1853 and the kitchen/bathroom addition (water users) were added about 1872. We also have notches in the wainscoting rail where the water pipes left the wood burning cook stove hot water heater and a trail of pipe standoff screw holes and light spots that lead to the attached former bathroom space. In 1949 the hand pump from the cistern and dry sink were replaced with a modern Youngstown enameled sink and cabinet. A few years ago I restored the sink base; almost as neat as old cars.

Bernie

Restorer32 is correct, Standard later became American Standard, a big name in plumbing fixtures. The sink had tabs that locked into the two "bulges" on the ends and then usually had two adjustable legs on the front. Are you putting a sink in your car?

OK Bernie, we REALLY need pictures of this!  B) 

It's not too bad. I am about 1,000 feet from the Erie Canal and another 500 feet gets you to the original 1840's New York Central and Hudson Railroads. So it is a product of the first era of cut and transported lumber. The original "wing" is the low part and, at the time on the outside edge of town and surrounded by apple, pear, and cherry trees. It is a perfect place to find cast iron sink brackets, evidence of old time fixtures, iron and brass heating grilles, and even old cars in the building out back. post-89785-0-09242900-1450364875_thumb.j

The door with no porch is now my wife's "sit and have coffee window" where she watches our deer neighbors across the street.

post-89785-0-36234300-1450365009_thumb.j

Bernie

I grew up in a 16 room Victorian Gingerbread built in the 1890s in small town PA. When we moved to town in 1960 there was still a 1920's Overland lubrication chart neatly framed and hanging in the 1 car garage. I hated that place. Dad made me paint it the Summer I turned 16. If there is one thing a 16 year old doesn't want to do all Summer is paint gingerbread. It is now a B&B.

Bernie,

That is really great! Thanks for sharing. I live in Southern California where the weather is terrific, the climate is ideal for vintage cars but, unfortunately, any building 40 years old or older is deemed, no longer usable so vintage buildings/houses here are becoming rarer and rarer. You wouldn't believe how many of the old Hollywood and Beverly Hills mansions have been torn down and replaced with new architecture, monster sized homes that resemble nothing so much as a dentist's office.

Even historically famous properties that you think would be protected have been bulldozed in the name of progress. Rudolph Valentino's Falcon's Lair was bulldozed in 2006, Errol Flynn's mansion on Laurel Canyon met a similar fate only to be replaced by condos, John Wayne's mansion in Newport and Pickfair, arguably the most famous home in America was destroyed by the talent-less Pia Zadora and her middle eastern husband when they felt their vision of a 25,000 square foot dentist office would would bring more class to the historic acreage. Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford must be spinning in their graves. The list goes on and on. 

G.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

In the late 1980's I spent some time fixing a cogeneration plant for Xerox in Pomona. I stayed in Diamond Bar. It was a pleasure to find old town Pomona (I have considered a west coast office there). I spent evenings in the Frank Bonelli Park and got really excited when I found the Brea Valley and the town of Brea. Brea had a diner on Main St. like I hang out at in my town. Actually Azusa Main St. even looked like my town... from A to Z. I drove out to Riverside one morning and stopped for breakfast in a local diner. I swear the waitress and I were the only ones not packing. Her jeans were too tight.

Palm Springs did have a kind of sanitary look. I enjoyed The Living Desert in Palm Springs and that was a neat place I keep hoping to get back to.

Interesting, my house has been owned by two families for over 150 years and I plan to be in it when it hits 200. I built my garage close to 40 years ago and contemplating replacing it with a bigger one. Priorities, you know.

Bernie

I think my Dad was still making me mow the lawn when I was 16. I don't remember how much I was paying the kid who did it for me. He was a smoker and cigarettes were 30 cents a pack. I don't think he got much more than that.

Bernie

City Slicker! I paid .10 cents for a pack of Wings.

It was a pleasure to find old town Pomona

Yes, a rare gem out here! Upland, CA. which is just north east of Pomona has kept its vintage downtown strip completely intact. All the old buildings are restored, kept up and re purposed. It still looks like 1938 there. Pasadena is also beautiful and one of the few places left in California that proudly holds on to it's history. The town is full of post-war craftsman bungalows. If you need a great setting for a vintage auto shoot, pick just about any street in Pasadena!