Fuel Tank Question

bob duffer

My daily driver in the early 1990's was a '56 Olds that always had very fine rust slit in the gas I had a filter in line but the stuff was so fine it always got through. The only thing noticeable was when I pulled the plugs expecting clean white tips, they were clean orange tips.

I think I drove the car 3 years like that, sold it, and had a chance to buy it back with fresh paint a couple years later for the same money. No one touched the tank but they painted the car. I guess no one found it an issue. That's experience from someone who is pretty fussy.

Bernie

If you have a radiator shop "boil" your tank out the seams may suffer. Best to pressure clean it, wash it out with dish washing detergent, use the the etching solution from Eastwood and seal it with sealer. Tough love, I know but that fixes the rust problem. Zeke

Gas Tank Renu

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

They started their operation in Detroit but have expanded into several states. They did a phenomenal job on my 1923 Studebaker gas tank.

They drilled six 1" holes in the tank, two opposite each of the three baffled compartments. Then steam cleaned the gunk out and sand blasted the inside and outside. They then apply steel patches from the inside and soldered them in and built the solder up to level the holes. It took just a little body filler to make it perfect. The inside gets coated with a "plastic" that is impervious to fuels and alcohols. Since the exterior of my tank is a class A surface, I painted it myself but they typically paint the exterior too. Cost was close to $300 but very happy with the results.

Scott

I have used this cleaner/sealer on three tanks over the last couple of years and think it does a great job. 

It is hard work as you have to roll the tank around to make sure the cleaner and then the sealer cover all the surfaces inside the tank but once it is finished it is well worth the trouble. 

After the first one I made up a hook to hang the tank off the end of my engine lifter and that made the job a lot easier to rock it around.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit_p_62.html

post-101323-0-77380500-1443791672_thumb.

Bob,

I used Gas Tank Renu service on my 1941 Cadillac, and have been very satisfied. This tank had previously been coated with a product which peeled in from all sides and restricted the 20 gallon content to only 6 gallons. It now works fine 9 years later after RE-NU. They may be more expensive, but it works.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

Bob,

I recently aquired a few more '34 - '35 Buick parts.

Call me this evening if you get a chance