Genesee Car Company?

Stude Light

I know there was a Genesee Car Company in Batavia, NY back in the teens but there isn't much info on it.  I found this amongst a lot of 1920's car parts (sorry for the poor photo quality).  Anyone have an idea if it is related to the car company?

post-108790-0-03420700-1443619657_thumb.

Scott

Genny Country is a beer statement.

Here's Jenny

jennylg.jpg

She lived about 3/4 of a mile from me and stayed looking that good all her life. Some boys would ride their bikes past her house just to get a glimpse.

There used to be a advertising campaign about the secret of good beer "What's the Genny Secret?" PM me and I'll tell you what I heard.

Bernie

• Like 1

I didn't know there was a Genesee Beer company!  Since it was in with all the car parts, I figured "car", but beer sounds very plausible.....and goes well with an old car hobby too.  Mystery solved for me. Thanks.

Scott

I have a very dear friend whom gifted me  the "Genesee Country" script as shown several years ago. He had removed it from his uncles 1925 Buick radiator, in the 30's. The aluminum cast scripts were sold here in western New York, And used to promote Letchworth State Park and it's 17 mile long  "Grand Canyon of the East". The name Genesee has a Native American Indian origin that came from the river that goes through the gorge flowing from Pennsylvania to Lake Ontario.I always looked upon it as a regional statement. I guess it could have been used for other purposes as well. Very interesting as I thought I had the only existing one hanging in my shop, it was, until today!  -Bob-

Genesee Beer is the San Miguel of the Northeast. But you gotta be an ex-sailor from New York to really feel it.

A couple of years ago the Pierce-Arrow Society held its national meet at The Genesee Country Museum.

There was also a Genesee Valley Canal that connected to the Erie Canal in Rochester New York. This transportation system played a major part in opening trade and developing the (then) western United States into a prosperourscountry. In the 19th century it was probaly one of the most important trade project areas in the world.

It's a good keepsake and if you look into western New York history from 1800 to 1950 you will be able to attach some great stories to it.

Bernie

And the story gets more interesting. The radiator mount would explain the long and thin attachment studs and would also explain why it was in with a bunch of 20s car parts.

Well I live in Michigan so if there are any Western New Yorker's out there that would like this item send me an email.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

Being from upstate New York (Madison/Oneida County) area, Genesee beer was very popular. My Grandmother Betty (Elizabeth) loved Genesee and drank it frequently. I remember the kick that Genesee 12 Horse Ale had back in 1977. It sure kicked me hard at sixteen years old. :blink: That looks to be a beautiful item that would be a popular addition to the Genesee Country Village and Museum.

-Bob- can you post a photo of your script? 

Bernie - I remember seeing that same Jenny picture hanging at my Grandfathers Tavern. Pierce's Tavern in Clinton, NY. It's Don's Rok now.

Thanks for bringing back many memories Scott. :)

I live in Rochester and Genesee is still a popular beer. The brewery is on the Genesee river. The Cream Ale even though it sounds gross is actually pretty good. It is becoming popular with younger generation, hipsters I guess. I don't have any use for the script but it sure is nice. Good luck with it.

...A couple of years ago the Pierce-Arrow Society held its national meet at The Genesee Country Museum....

Perhaps the director of that Genessee Country Museum would know

more about the history of the item. It's worth contacting the

museum before anyone assumes for certain that it's from a beer.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I worked at the Genesee Brewery for a while in 1972. Many of the items on display at the museum were stored by the brewery's family in the old Cataract Building on the brewery property. The museum came later.

After western New York and southern Ontario were defoliated in the early 1800's the area became a big gain and orchard farming center. Locals know the history pretty well.

The Seldon and Cunningham cars, as well as the Stewart trucks are pretty fresh in the memories. Outside of the brewery, Mike Ognilbene ran Genesee Country Ford, a dealership in Batavia, around the turn of this century He runs this lot now: http://www.crazycheapcars.com/. He may have run those as a dealer tag, buy it looks too expensive. Call Mike and ask.

Bob is probably right. You can spit into the Genesee River from his house. I can spit into the Erie Canal from mine but it would take a couple hours to float to the River.

Bernie

Or you can SEE HIM RIGHT HERE: 

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)