Engine 'floor'

Rogillio

I don't know what you call it but in the second DB car I bought, there is a 'floor' under the hood that ties to the engine and fenders.  See the pic below.  One is from my first car and clearly shows the ground below.  The other is from my second car and shows the 'floor' on both sides of the engine.  Anyone else have this in their car(s)? 

post-142600-0-89412000-1434481136_thumb.

post-142600-0-51089300-1434481209_thumb.

post-142600-0-17909900-1434481294_thumb.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

A lot of these have rusted away and as PHIL said, the mechanics didn't bother to reinstall them and they were a pest to work around. Some believe they restrict the airflow around the engine which caused overheating problems and by removing them kept the engine cooler.

Just what I've read over the years.

I know I am little off track from subject, but on dropping small object while working on engine, have you notice how many times they will end up in the direct center of the vehicle, where you have to crawl on all fours to get to it. Just a theory

Nearchocolatetown is right, the engine splash pans, or dust pans do keep the engine bay cooler by directing the hot air out, but as I will add, they also help in the engine electrical bonding to the frame. I don't know of any car of this era that didn't come with them originally.  The originals on my Dodge are Galvanized steel, and a coating of black gloss enamel for a finish.

Many of them are cracked or missing as stated above. If ya got 'em, use 'em.

...they also help in the engine electrical bonding to the frame.

I can't answer for any other models but on cars like mine with Floating Power I can't see how they could help conduct electricity since the splash pans are not connected to the engine (they just hover near it) so that the engine can rock in its rubber mounts.