NE Empire Express 2015 Springfield

JohnD1956

Departs 6/9: roughly 10 AM.  Stops @ Ashtabula OH, and Cloverdale Illinois ( plus a lot of rest areas in between) .  Arrives sometime on 6/11.  Packs a few adult beverages for the arrival celebration :rolleyes:   Looking forward to seeing a bunch of good friends!!!

• Like 3

This year we have:

Ed ( Summer67), who is providing transportation for Russ Bushnell of VT in his trusty 67 Skylark Convertible.

Ted and Trina Sweet, in their luxurious yet sporty 77 Electra with rally wheels. 

New this year are Bill and Molly, driving their 1987 GN which they bought new and sports low mileage.

And Linda and I in our comfy land yacht, oft referred to as "The Queen"

As yet undecided, is 4 Buffords from CT. 

I tried my best to cajole, blackmail, and lure David & Linda M from New Brunswick CA, Jackofalltrades77,  and KAD36, to join us, but those guys are just going to miss out on the fun. 

John, and the others.  I wish Bea and I were able to join you on the adventure, but you know the reason why I cannot.  You might be on the lookout for Jon Henry as he is haling a trailer, perhaps empty (looking for a load out), but to eventually head to Montana, to pick up an undisclosed Buick.

For you and everyone have a safe and trouble free trip.

John

• Like 2

Getting anxious to hit the road...

John and Bea,  I know your hearts will be with us in Springfield.  But your absence will be huge!!! 

Meanwhile we are almost packed.  I am thinking of leaving the wash bucket home though,  just so the sun will come out at some point.  At least the car will run cooler.  But I feel for Ed and Russ, as well as Larry and Joan, in rain with cars without A/C.

End of day one. 400 miles and one headlight bulb later we are out in Austinberg Oh. For ice cream. The Queen is living up to the name. Still feels like i' m cheating even though the car is 40 years old.

• Like 1

This year we have:

Ed ( Summer67), who is providing transportation for Russ Bushnell of VT in his trusty 67 Skylark Convertible.

Ted and Trina Sweet, in their luxurious yet sporty 77 Electra with rally wheels. 

New this year are Bill and Molly, driving their 1987 GN which they bought new and sports low mileage.

And Linda and I in our comfy land yacht, oft referred to as "The Queen"

Somehow missed this before, but this has to be quite a convoy to see going down the road!!!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Ain't she a beautiful sight?" __ CW McCall __ 'Convoy'

Got started a little late, but met Molly & Bill as planned. Turns out Bill had a surprise for us, ANew to them 70 GS 455. Not able to post a picture right now but its a beauty! Unfortunately his ac compressor seized up one mile before our meeting place so we added a bit more delay dealing with that.

Tomorrow we are going to hit the road earlier and push where we can to be there before 5 pm. We'll have to see how that goes.

Meanwhile the Queen is performing like a Buick! The only issue is the rear end dropping due to the luggage load. I sure hope you guys help me unload the few beers I brought before I have to haul them home.

• Like 3

Much less spectacular right now since the Ny cars are filthy from the 5 hr drive in heavy rains. Looking for a touchless car wash.

Ah, yes ... the annoying thing rain does to a clean car.....

"Is it stormy where you are?"  __ Billie Myers __ 'Kiss The Rain'

You all don't know it but this is my fourth attempt to make this post:

We arrived at 5:15 PM Thursday after leaving extra early to try and get here before registration closed. Naturally we did not make it. The Rt 44 sceanic Byway was absolutely beautiful! Lots of memorabilia, old cars, great advertisements and beautiful rolling country side. While that was so cool I did feel bad for the others in the caravan who had non functioning or no A/C. It was a hot muggy day and they were all pretty much spent by the time we arrived.

The Queen took one quart of oil for all this. But, after arriving, my other headlight burnt out, so my efforts to set the car up with non halogen It now sports two new halogen bulbs while I have four halogen bulbs sitting in the garage at home!

Giving thanks for the Queen who provided for a safe and cool trip.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Headed for home today. Stopped at the Rt 66 Diner and discovered the power windows quit working. Said a little prayer that the AC would hold out and got back on the road. As we approached the flyover highway ramps at the 44/55 interchsnge in St Louis, the sky opened.

Within minutes the elevated ramps were several inches deep with water. Visibility was minimal and we were traveling about 25 mph. Then on one turn, I hit a puddle that was at least 6" deep.

I said a puddle but were talking 20-30 feet long. I was figuring the Queen would stall, but I was wrong. Bill managed to skirt it and I radioed to the group to move to the left, but Ed hit it too. Again he figured he'd have to be towed out but the 67 swam across and kept going. By now the AC in the queen started to get warm, and i had to shut it down, and we couldn't even crack a window open.

3 God awful miles later we pulled into a Pilot truck stop. The compressor was still turning and I figured the belt must have got soaked and was slipping. We waited about a half hour and the under hood heat must have dried the belt. When we got back on the highway the AC was back and very effective. We visited Lincolns Tomb in Oakwood Cemetary in Springfield Illinois. What a sight!!! Then headed East to our stop for the night. After dinner Ted confirmed his suspicion that one of his rear tires had a substantial leak. So thats been swapped for the space saver spare and will have to get that fixed before heading out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Sounds like quite the adventurous return trip home....  Glad you stopped to eat at the Route 66 diner, but sorry for the troubles from Mother Nature & your Buick.  Glad you arrived safely at your overnight stop.  Good luck & stay safe tomorrow!

"A long white line stretching out on the road ahead" __ Vince Gill __ 'The Radio'

The good news was I fixed the windows after we stopped for the night, so they worked yesterday, and the better news was the AC continues to blow ice cubes, as it was described to me. Unfortunately we had to pass on the side trip to the US Airforce museum in Dayton, OH. What with a late start and more miles than expected, there just was not time to fit that in. Today we travel to Buffalo NY, projected trip is 7 hrs, 350 miles. Tomorrow we are planning to visit the Naval Depot museum there. It's supposed to be the nicest day of the week then. Right now it's raining, but we gotta go.

• Like 1

After delay in leaving from IHOP this AM, we made good progress and were very impressed with the vista's and views along Rt 77 through Ohio.  We made it to West Seneca, where we had dinner with Stevo and Lana Baich, by 6:30 PM.  Tomorrow the group breaks up.  Linda and I are staying in Buffalo for a visit to the Buffalo Naval Museum.   The others have decided to move out early and go back home.

No car issues today ( except some soft road tar on the lower body panels) and the weather cooled off as we approached Lake Erie in Ohio.  Right now it is 65* outside and it's kinda cool.  I've been looking at the jackets we brought all trip long and thinking WTH, why did I pack those? After all I do have a Limited amount of space!   :rolleyes:   Now I'm glad I did.  So on with the trip!  Be back here with some pictures soon.

• Like 1

I heard the others in the group arrived safely home and we just got in around 10 PM ourselves.  Always glad to be home, but always bummed about the people I didn't meet and the cars I didn't see.  Even more bummed about missing the opportunity to share a beer after the show with 1957Buickjim, Old Tank, and Buick5563. I'd explain why I couldn't but don't want to be called a wuss.  Also bummed about the folks from the Forum who were at the breakfast but who I did not get a chance to speak with.  I mean I was sitting with Mudbone, and did not even realize it till 3/4 of the way through the event.   What a missed opportunity.  Speaking of missed opportunities, I did not even get a chance to peruse the swap meet and I did note that there was a LOT of shiney chrome there. 

Still, I had a great drive, an excellent time,  saw a lot of wonderful cars, and spoke to some awesome Buick Guys.  What energy at a National Meet!!  Those who have not had an opportunity to try one really, do not know what you are missing!!

On the way home we stopped for some historical perspective.  So I'd like to share two pictures of places you may want to visit in the future:

Abraham  Lincoln Tomb: Oak Wood cemetery: Springfield Illinois: 

post-77230-0-49239500-1434725990_thumb.j

There are a few folks in this country who do not respect a site like this.  The hush of silence as we walked past the burial site was deafening!!!  Well worth the trip in my opinion.

And the other site is the Buffalo Naval Museum in Buffalo NY.   The USS Sullivan Destroyer is an authentic restoration of the ship.  The USS Little Rock is not so much a restoration but more of a floating Museum.  I never made it to the submarine, but my son did and he said it was like the Sullivan.    A wonderful job by a volunteer group!

post-77230-0-58506900-1434726733_thumb.j

I wish I could have found an angle from which to capture the entire USS Little Rock.  But it is too big! 

John, thank you for all you did.

I, too, met and visited with folks without realizing who they were/are. Before the meet, I think, someone suggested perhaps listing our forum name on our name tag. Did I?? NOOOO. Also since Ames, my first, I have promised myself a list of whome I wanted to meet. Have I?  Nooo. Perhaps someone can put names to some of the forum pics.

Ben

I think it was 1957BuickJim that recognized my name. The forum brunch is big enough now that we don't stand a chance of chatting with everyone...never mind if you're the one running that gong show

Good to hear everyone is home safe and sound.

I'm not doing the registrations for 2016, but if I am asked to do them again for 2017 I will put a place on the registration form for the forum name, then I can print it on the name tags.  I think that is a great idea.

I wish I could have made the forum gathering, but felt I was too busy at the registration desk to leave it unmanned for several hours.  Fridays are our busiest days at the show with about 1/3 of the attendees arriving on Friday.  Maybe next time we can have it after 5:00.

I heard the others in the group arrived safely home and we just got in around 10 PM ourselves.  Always glad to be home, but always bummed about the people I didn't meet and the cars I didn't see

Glad everyone arrived home safely.

As for the bummed parts of it ... I understand completely.  Attended some Nationals every year for a while & always came home realizing I either hadn't seen someone who was there or didn't see a car I really wanted to see.  That's sorta why I did road trips 2002-2011 ... to meet people without the hecticness of a car show.

"It's hard to slow this swinger down" __ Eric Heatherly __ 'Flowers On The Wall'