35 custom Body Ford

I was driving by the Simone Museum in Philadelphia recently and noticed this Ford parked in the lot. It was an interesting body reminiscent of a Silver Wraith Rolls but it looked like it was done post Classic era like by a later owner. No seams in the body like it was an all fiberglass surface. Not like the Brewster or Cunningham Fords. It was flathead powered but all tricked out with Offy heads and probably more engine mods,5 speed trans and modern rear.Nice looking ride but for my money I'd much prefer open.post-108485-0-27170300-1432356212_thumb.post-108485-0-95543000-1432356223_thumb.post-108485-0-01275300-1432356253_thumb.

Interesting looking car. The windshield and top look different than an American 35 Ford, as well as earlierheadlights. I noticed the wheel covers for the 4 on the ground with larger tires and hood sides are

Dave, did it have suicide doors? Was it stretched like a Brewster? To bad you didn't get to talk to the

owner.

My guess is, it's one that was modified in it's day be folks who wanted Ford reliability and a richer look.

I think the badges, on the front, might have provided a clue. It scream British, to me. I know it's LHD, but if it has other mods (hot flathead, 5 speed, etc), it could have been converted from RHD. Are those Lucas lamps?? I dunno. Definitely coachbuilt, not some backyard job

Interesting.  Some observations, I think quite possibly a period European customization.  It's not too likely the fabric top insert would be there if it were done in more modern times.  The only part of the top area remaining original is the rear window.  The windshield wipers were moved from above the windshield to below it, and cowl lights were installed, probably from an earlier Ford, the '35's didn't have them.  On the side of the hood there are just 3 stainless trim strips, as on the '36 Ford.  '35's had 4 of these.  Wonder why the change?  I see a door handle, showing that they are not suicide.  Headlights may be European too.  

My first thought was that it might be an early stretch limo but rejected this idea. It appears to be a coachbuilt body in a formal style probably built in Europe.

At that time there was a heavy import duty on cars in Switzerland but if 40% or more of the car was made in Switzerland it was considered a domestic product. The result was, you could buy a custom bodied car for practically the same price as a stock model. There were quite a few custom built cars on American chassis in the thirties.

Wonder if there is a coachbuilder's plate on the firewall, cowl, door sill or under the carpet? Those were the usual places.

It didn't appear stretched. The edging around the grille was a little different and the lights were 32 buckets and rims with the clear lenses and perhaps Lucas bulbs. I took a picture of the dash to show the stock appearance but there's a lot of Jeep reflection. It had a red leather interior which I didn't care for.The LaLique ornament shouldn't be left on the car so freely.

post-108485-0-74899900-1432529928_thumb.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Interesting.   The dual exhaust makes me wonder a bit.  I'm not thinking period coachbuilt but maybe it is.

Personally,  a Lalique hood ornament could ruin the best looking car in the world.  The owner should be thankful to anyone that would steal it.