Tom Magliozzi dies

Restorer32

NPR announced that Tom Magliozzi, co-host of Car Talk, has passed.

Saturday mornings won't be the same.

Tommy was a talented, intelligent individual, as well as a diagnostician with a bent for humor.

Our condolences to his brother Ray, to the entire Magliozzi family, and to the staff of National Public Radio (npr).

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/tom-magliozzi-1937

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Car Talk was the only auto related show on radio or TV that my wife would even tolerate. I still listen to their reruns every chance I get and almost always end up laughing out loud at their antics. A nice contrast to the usual self important hushed tones associated with much NPR programming. He will be missed. I always wished the brothers had been invited to speak at, say, Wednesday Night at the Museum during Hershey week.

Tom's passing received 1/4th of the Washington Post's obit page today. Their show was and is popular in the D. C. area on FM station WAMU. Not your averge mechanic, Tom had a degree in Chemical Engineering and Economics from MIT, a masters, and a doctorate from Boston University. He quipped that he turned down a scholarship from Harvard "because MIT gave me 200 bucks more for scholarship money, and that was big bucks back in 1980"... Not just a technical show, it was a very humorous program, and still is, its reruns airing on Saturday mornings at 10am. It is worth listening to just for the infectious laughter.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)