And you thought drivers today were all over the road....

1935Packard

Interesting video from the 1930s shot from the back of a car driving on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. No clear lanes, cars weaving in and out, cutting off other cars. (Some beautiful cars, though, it being Beverly Hills.)

What I find interesting is that this video appears to be around 1936-37, just by some of the cars that are there. There is a surprising lack of Model T's and A's on the streets, that I can see. And this is around 5 years after the A and 9-10 years after the T. Does this seem odd, or is it the neighborhood....

Frank

What I find interesting is that this video appears to be around 1936-37, just by some of the cars that are there. There is a surprising lack of Model T's and A's on the streets, that I can see. And this is around 5 years after the A and 9-10 years after the T. Does this seem odd, or is it the neighborhood....

Frank

A partial explanation may be that the average age of a car on the road back then was very different from what it is today. Today the average age of a car on the road is 11 years, but that's much higher than it was in the past. As recently as the mid-1990s, it was 8 years old, and I would guess that in back in the 1930s it was probably more like 3 years. You can see this in the value of used cars back in those days. I have some used car price guides from the period, and cars devalued incredibly quickly. A five years old used car was worth something like 10% of its original sales price.

I gather that devaluation reflects the fact that cars just weren't expected to last for very long back in those days. They didn't last long, so you didn't see many older cars on the road. I've noticed this with dated photos of street scenes from the past: Before around 1970 or so, a very high percentage of cars on the road are under 3 years old. For example, you'll see a street scene with cars from 1935-37, and you'll assume the picture was taken in the 1940s. But actually the picture was taken in 1937.

My guess, at least. On the other hand, it might just be the neighborhood. ;)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

A partial explanation may be that the average age of a car on the road back then was very different from what it is today. Today the average age of a car on the road is 11 years, but that's much higher than it was in the past. As recently as the mid-1990s, it was 8 years old, and I would guess that in back in the 1930s it was probably more like 3 years. You can see this in the value of used cars back in those days. I have some used car price guides from the period, and cars devalued incredibly quickly. A five years old used car was worth something like 10% of its original sales price.

I gather that devaluation reflects the fact that cars just weren't expected to last for very long back in those days. They didn't last long, so you didn't see many older cars on the road. I've noticed this with dated photos of street scenes from the past: Before around 1970 or so, a very high percentage of cars on the road are under 3 years old. For example, you'll see a street scene with cars from 1935-37, and you'll assume the picture was taken in the 1940s. But actually the picture was taken in 1937.

My guess, at least. On the other hand, it might just be the neighborhood. ;)

I think that the auto industry in the early days up until WW2 was like the electronics industry today: How many people do you see with 5 or 10 year old cell phones?

A two or three year old car was far inferior to a new car in terms of comfort and performance even if it was in like new condition. And with something like 90% of the road mileage being unpaved very few cars stayed in like new condition very long.