Can you help identify this antique car??

Guest Steam6

Guest Steam6

I know, it was an inspection car the West Side Lumber Company used, however, what I am wondering is what type of car it actually was converted from (WSLCo. had a number of other inspection cars that were converted from road cars, such as model a's, a model t, a 1939 pontiac, and this, of course). There is also a better picture of it at this website: http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,132402,132412#msg-132412

Guest Steam6

Thank you very much, I've never heard of LaSalle before, so I wouldn't have came up with that answer (I'm more knowledgeable of trains than cars). Googling LaSalle, thats what it looks like to me too. Again, thank you.

You're welcome.

LaSalle was the 'companion' car to Cadillac

The 'companion' to Buick was Marquette

'Companion' to Oldsmobile was Knight.

EDITCorrection, As John has pointed out VIKING was Oldsmobile's companion

I like RR locomotives, too.

I know a steam locomotive from a Diesel/electric locomotive.

Edit

The Viking was the Olds companion car

Thank you for that correction!!

Edited by bhambulldog
correction (see edit history)

Guest Steam6

So, was the only real difference of a Cadillac and a LaSalle the badging? Forgive me for my ignorance over the subject.

LaSalle was a lower priced companion car to Cadillac. A completely different car, but shared some parts like a smaller, lower HP version of the Cadillac engine, transmission, and some other parts that didn't show.

Sort of the way the same dealer sells Dodges and Chryslers today, which look different but share the same platform.

Guest Steam6

Looking up Graham-Paige, I find the attached picture of a 1929 Graham-Paige. It doespost-85964-143142663227_thumb.jpeg have the right visor, however, it doesn't have the smaller lights on the fender you can see in post #8.

You're welcome.

LaSalle was the 'companion' car to Cadillac

The 'companion' to Buick was Marquette

'Companion' to Oldsmobile was Knight.

I like RR locomotives, too.

I know a steam locomotive from a Diesel/electric locomotive.

The Viking was the Olds companion car

I am fairly sure the car in post #8 is a 1928 Graham-Paige.

The colour pic of the 'LaSalle' railroad car looks to have a hood and radiator from something else.

The companion car to Oldsmobile was the Viking.

Thanks for that.

When I saw that hood, I thought LaSalle .... (apparently incorrectly)

and of course if it were LaSalle it would be '27 or later

Guest Steam6

Thanks everyone. I also now believe its a 1929 Graham-Paige, due to the body lines, door hinge placements, visor brackets, and radiator. Again, thank you very much. The photo shows that there are no cowl lights, but there are some on the fenders. I believe West Side Lumber Company, or the previous owner, (when it was a road car, before the railroad conversion) may have moved them for some reason?

If we are talking about the original pictures on the top, it has to be 1929 Graham-Paige 615; the radiator was 1928-29 only, and the hood panels were 1929-1931, making the railroad car pictured on the top a 1929 Graham-Paige 615, to be specific, a Second Series Graham-Paige 615 (produced from about August 1928 to August 1929).

Thanks for that correction

Of course Viking is correct

What was Pontiac's companion?

Or, was Pontiac a ​companion?

Pontiac was companion to the Oakland. GM in the late 20s was expanding their line to include new lower priced companions for every car except Chevrolet, their lowest priced car. They dropped all the companion makes in the depression except for LaSalle which lasted until 1940. For some reason, Oakland kept the companion Pontiac and dropped the senior Oakland.

Thank you very much, I've never heard of LaSalle before, so I wouldn't have came up with that answer (I'm more knowledgeable of trains than cars). Googling LaSalle, thats what it looks like to me too. Again, thank you.

With you knoledge of trains, could you describe the braking action on steel wheel? I would asume that you would have to apply the brakes gently so that they don't lock up.

I think that if I were to desigh a braking system I would have some type of shoe that would apply friction directly to the top of the track. Any comments on that?

Great question; if you look at the picture bulldog posted it looks like they have brake lining riveted to the wheels? Your comment would also would apply to acceleration. Interestingly Top Gear just did an episode where they used a Audi A8 to pull small railcars, but it was an all wheel drive car and had antilock breaks and traction control, it worked pretty well.