Am I Missing Something? Electrical Conundrum....

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I bought one of the voltage reducers pictured below. This device is as simple as can be. You hook a 12 volt power source to the "BAT" side and your 6 volt accessory/device to the other side and it's supposed to reduce 12 volts to 6 volts.

When I hook it up and put a meter on it, I have 12 volts on BOTH SIDES. What gives here? This is the second one I've bought and both do this. Can anyone enlighten me here?

post-75106-143142560533_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142560535_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142560533_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143142560535_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

After searching the net for the past hour I think I now understand how this works. The voltage doesn't drop until you put a load on the reducer. So if nothing is being powered by the reducer it would read 12 volts on the output. I bought this thing thinking I could test my 6 volt radio on my 12 volt system but I have read that that is NOT A GOOD IDEA. Too much variance in the voltage on this type of resistor and it could fry my tubes. Damn....I was excited to see if the old radio worked.:(Anybody have any other suggestions on how I could do this without spending $500 to get my radio converted to 12v?

Buy a 6/12 volt battery charger. You might even find a 6v dc charger used on modern electronics, but most of those put out very little current. Another thought is check the internet for "building a 6v (DC) power source", You might also find some early cordless drill chargers and batteries that are rated at 6v DC

Guest shadetree77

Willie, that looks promising but you're right about the "rest of the search". I can't find one for sale. I found an instruction .pdf for one from a Mexican site. I found one other mention of these at a site that appears to be for Army use. Can't find one for sale in a regular online store though. I'll keep looking. If anyone knows where I can get one let me know.

Just so I have this straight if I ever find one, you're saying you put a meter on this thing and adjusted it until you got the right voltage, then hooked it up to your 6 volt radio in the '51 F-1?

Guest shadetree77

John, that's where the problem lies. Lucy was converted to 12 volts by the previous owner. That's why I've never been able to test the radio. I was trying to figure out a way to reduce the 12 down to 6 so I could hook up the radio.

John, that's where the problem lies. Lucy was converted to 12 volts by the previous owner. That's why I've never been able to test the radio. I was trying to figure out a way to reduce the 12 down to 6 so I could hook up the radio.

You could always try to find someone who has a six volt battery and try to borrow it.

Robert,

Be verry careful with any type of resistor to reduce voltage as they are dependent on the load current. For example, the louder the radio the lower the voltage. The other problem is that radios with tubes draw a fair amount of current and will most likely overheat the resistor. Your best option would be to beg, borrow or buy a 6 volt battery and a charger to be able to power the radio for testing. You really only need a small battery and charger for this test, say 6 AH gelcell and charger. Another possibility would be to try to find a ham radio operator and ask him/her about a power supply rated at 6 volts and around 10 amps... us hams are creative :). If you were in central Washington you could come to my shop and test away, I even would let you use the equipment and tools to fix if needed..... Good luck, but be cautious as the old electronics can be very touchy and expensive to fix if dammaged by voltage problems.

Robin

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C
spelling (see edit history)

Robert, call me and we can talk. I have a converter here around the house if I can find it from 12v to 6 volt and you are welcome to try it. I plan on using it to power my GPS when touring.

Also if you are clear Saturday tomorrow, come to Greenfield Village for the Motor Muster car show. It is one of the best run shows around. Then Sunday the Eyes on Design show at the Ford house in Grosse Pointe. Here are some pictures from the media preview.

http://endorphin-photos.smugmug.com/Cars/EOD-2014-Press-Day

Guest shadetree77

Larry,

Sounds like a plan. I have my doubts about this old radio working but I'd like to know one way or another. I won't be at the Muster tomorrow but I will be at the Eyes on Design show Sunday if all goes to plan. We'll talk about the converter then. Thanks.

Guest shadetree77

Mark, I will eventually. I do have the original generator. Some day, when funds allow, I will have it rebuilt and change it back to 6. For now, I think I know what I'm going to do to test the radio. Larry has a 6 volt battery. I think I'll visit him one day and hook my car up to the 6 volt. I should then be able to turn on the radio WITHOUT starting the car just to test it. As long as I don't actually START the car I don't think it will hurt anything.

Robert, Was good getting together with Mrs. Shadetree and you at the Colvers show and Larry's place. I have not been on here because as you know that I have been traveling. Just saw you several days ago and you never mentioned this to Ol Dandy Dave! Do you know that they make a 6/12 battery. This may be the way to go for now until you sort though changing everything back again. Follow the link. Dandy Dave!

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/accessories.html

Guest shadetree77

Dave,

Glad you made it back home safe. There was a NASTY thunderstorm here the morning you left. Hope it missed you! It was great visiting with you too. We had a good time. You'll have to come visit us next time you're in the area. As for the battery/radio, no big deal. I'm not in a hurry to test it. I'll get around to it eventually. I have my doubts about it working anyway. I've been talking to Larry about it. We'll get something together eventually. I have looked into those 6/12's before. Didn't want to drop that much $ on one seeing as I'll be taking her back to 6V at some point. Did you catch the thread I started over here? http://forums.aaca.org/f115/like-ants-watermelon-rind-374326.html

Dave,

Glad you made it back home safe. There was a NASTY thunderstorm here the morning you left. Hope it missed you! It was great visiting with you too. We had a good time. You'll have to come visit us next time you're in the area. As for the battery/radio, no big deal. I'm not in a hurry to test it. I'll get around to it eventually. I have my doubts about it working anyway. I've been talking to Larry about it. We'll get something together eventually. I have looked into those 6/12's before. Didn't want to drop that much $ on one seeing as I'll be taking her back to 6V at some point. Did you catch the thread I started over here? http://forums.aaca.org/f115/like-ants-watermelon-rind-374326.html

Oh, I found it. :D Dandy Dave!