Knit Picking

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

I finally figured out how to move these pics to a folder I can post here.

Hey Guys, meet Goldie

post-98889-143142535629_thumb.jpg

She is doing her best to be correct. Looking pretty good for 49 years old.

post-98889-143142535604_thumb.jpg

post-98889-143142535607_thumb.jpg

post-98889-14314253561_thumb.jpg

post-98889-143142535623_thumb.jpg

post-98889-143142535626_thumb.jpg

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
Goldie's looking very good! Nice headlights! Wait - seriously, nice headlights.

I bet you say that to all the girls :rolleyes:

Guest clamshells
Clams....whats the name of your interior color. There are a few 'browns' and I havent been able to find that one.

65 Custom trim code 629 Vinyl Saddle.

Guest clamshells
Nice car. I see the tilt wheel, power windows, and probably a power seat as well as power vents, and electro-cruise. What other options (besides the Gran Sport) are there?

remote side view mirror

power seat

4 note horns

rear defrost

Guide Matic

AM/FM

power antenna

tilt steering column

air conditioning

power windows

power vents

rear arm rest

Custom package

Gran Sport

road wheels

Electro-cruise

remote trunk release

purse hook

Just for today all options fully functioning ice cold air & power vent windows including heat. The Guide-Matic is yet to be tested. I'll keep her standard steering wheel since she came from the dealer that way on Aug 16, 1965.

Trust the sample, not the resolution of your computer screen. I have a laptop but it's hooked to a larger monitor. If I have the laptop open at the same time I'm viewing the monitor, they'll show the same picture in different hues.

Ed

Guest clamshells

I have hundreds of pics taken by 3 different cameras in different light. The color is 50 years and faded nicely. I know what you mean the samples I see are all ruddy brown "tan" and I don't like them at all.

See what else they have and check them all.

Guest clamshells

Not my shop :-( but she lived there for the last 10 years inside covered and loved.

The car spent most of her life garaged and was owned for two decades by a Buick Dealer in Nevada.post-98889-14314253569_thumb.jpg Just look at those inner panels behind the drive wheels!

She is a matching numbers survivor with just enough imperfections to drive her to local car shows and a Sunday driver.

Guest clamshells
beautiful car! did you do the work?

arnulfo

I found her as is. I almost walked away from the Sahara Mist & Saddle but she grew on me. The interior is a solid 4 but my OCD has lofty ideas of going white or black but my conservative side argues keep her trim code correct.

She was very lucky to have a 65 427 six pak 4 speed Vette, a 65 Electra LX 4 speed and two other 65 Riviera Gran Sports to keep her company.

I almost walked away from the Sahara Mist & Saddle but she grew on me.

a 65 Electra LX 4 speed

If it's the original paint and it's in good shape but just dull, take heart, it's lacquer. It can be brought back to a nice luster. If it's already suffering from lacquer check, it's a great 20 -20 car and you should be driving it like you stole it.

The '65 Electra 425 w/ 4 speed - this one I'd love to have a look at. Torquey nailheads and 4 speed transmissions are born to be mated together.

Guest clamshells
That is one FINE survivor Clamshells; glad you figured out how to post the photos. Thanks.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I love those 56 & 57 F-100's. Nice selection of rides you have, a 76 EGlide is now a Roadking am I correct?

Guest clamshells
Clamshells,

I have factory white interior in my rivi. Wish it was black. White is a b--ch to keep clean.

arnulfo

Yes Arnulfo I had a 69 GS400 with a white interior, I know what you're talking about, but they sure look nice in pics or someone elses car :-)

Thanks Steve. I love those 56 & 57 F-100's. Nice selection of rides you have, a 76 EGlide is now a Roadking am I correct?

Actually still have the 'ol FLH but tend to ride the RoadGLIDE mostly. Just 'cuz I have legitimate bragging rights I'll mention that my '56 made it as a feature in Classic Trucks Magazine (July '2014 issue) AND made the cover as well! :cool: Thanks for giving me the opening.

Steve

Guest clamshells
Actually still have the 'ol FLH but tend to ride the RoadGLIDE mostly. Just 'cuz I have legitimate bragging rights I'll mention that my '56 made it as a feature in Classic Trucks Magazine (July '2014 issue) AND made the cover as well! :cool: Thanks for giving me the opening.

Steve

I'd ride a 2013 Roadglide if I could afford one. That's one sweet 56 you have there :-P

Guest clamshells

Thanks for all the love guys, now on to the Knit Picking!

Too many "blacks" under the hood: I see satin, black and semi.

Incorrect hose clamps, battery & cable(s)

Cowl grilles are supposed to be body color

Bumper chrome looks its age

BC/CC paint jambs were not done

I like her patina but a set of 65 Road Wheels are out for chrome & paint. She needs a driver arm rest the match is pathetic..........I'd rather have a patina arm rest than the one size fits all giraffe on predisone look it has now.post-98889-143142537809_thumb.jpg

You did a great job finding one in this condition, almost impossible to find, numbers matching to boot. It pays to wait and look until you find what you want and not too far from home. Congratulations, Paul

I second that, Congrats Mike!

She looks great in the pictures!!!!!

Chris

Niiice!!! And she was built on my seventh birthday! My Gran Sport was made the first week of January '65. How did you determine the actual build date? Did you find the build sheet? Where did you find it? The Fischer Body plate only gives the week of the month the body was built. Hmmmm.

Guest clamshells
Niiice!!! And she was built on my seventh birthday! My Gran Sport was made the first week of January '65. How did you determine the actual build date? Did you find the build sheet? Where did you find it? The Fischer Body plate only gives the week of the month the body was built. Hmmmm.

My mistake she was first sold on August 16, 1965. She was built onpost-98889-143142549416_thumb.jpg.

post-98889-143142549416_thumb.jpg

Your body build date says 02C, which I thought meant the third week of February. If that is true then your car remained unsold for almost six months. Perhaps your car was assembled rather later than February, which would explain the delay. Just curious... Did you ever find the build sheet in your car? Some say it was placed under the back seat, or on top of the gas tank. I never found one in my G.S.

Guest clamshells
Your body build date says 02C, which I thought meant the third week of February. If that is true then your car remained unsold for almost six months. Perhaps your car was assembled rather later than February, which would explain the delay. Just curious... Did you ever find the build sheet in your car? Some say it was placed under the back seat, or on top of the gas tank. I never found one in my G.S.

Henry Karp of Fort Dodge Iowa was the original buyer on August 16, 1965. I'll pull the back seat one of these days and look for the build sheet. Goldie is the most optioned car I've seen which may (only speculation) be the reason she didn't sell due to a hefty price tag or possible show room car?

If Henry was only 20 when he bought her he'd be 70 now, kind of a long shot a 20 year old bought a car like that so I'll leave that alone. The speculation and mysteries are all part of the fun ;-P.

• 1 year later...
Guest Spineguy

Clamshells,

My dad Henry Karp was the original purchaser of your Goldie. We lived in Iowa at the time. I can't believe my dad's car still exists! When my brothers and I get together the conversation will always turn to dad's 65 Buick Riviera! The pics look great! I travel a lot for my job and maybe one day I'll stop by one of your local car shows and introduce myself. What state do you live in?