1964 Buick Wildcat

Guest bardo

Guest bardo

I am not a car guy. My grandfather purchased this 1964 4 door, hard top, diplomat blue, Wildcat. I inherited it many years ago and enjoyed it for a while. It has about 70k miles on it. However, I had to garage it about 5 years ago being newly married, young kids and all that goes with it. I hate leaving it there and know that its not good for the car. So I'm looking to sell it. A local classic car guy said he'd give me 1k for it. I've done some research online regarding value, but I'd love to get feedback from Buick experts as to how I should go about selling this car. Any advice is much appreciated.

post-99688-143142427751_thumb.jpg

What options does the car have? Power windows. Power seats, Power brakes, Air conditioning, the elusive AM/FM radio?

What is the condition of the body and interior? Rust, rips?

What is the condition of the frame and under body? rust, holes, and or oil splash?

How about the engine and trans? Burring oil? Leaking severely, all gears work?

These are some of the things you need to look at when determining a price. Then you can search online for a value of that specific make and model, and compare your notes to the values listed. That will get you a range of where you may price the car.

Then you need to select your market. Here, E bay, Craigslist? I would always want to post here first but simultaneously with a Craigs List ad. Both are free, and you never know. Later I might try e bay or other online auction places. But I would also encourage you to think long and hard about giving up this car. It's not often someone can have a car that meant a lot to his family. You don't have to drive the car a lot to appreciate that your Grandfather sat in that same seat. Running the car for about 20 minutes once a month is usually enough to keep it mechanically okay. The issue is more of how dry is it staying in the rental garage.

Here's an online price guide with which you can get a rough idea what your car could be worth. http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/64buwiat.html

You could also do a search of completed eBay listings on similar cars to get an idea what they end up selling for there.

I agree with everyone else about that thief masquerading as a classic car guy unless you plan on running him out of town.

Guest bardo

Thanks for all the helpful info. I'm in no hurry, so I will research further.

JohnD - thanks for your pearls of wisdom; you make a lot of sense.

Appreciate everyone's advice and insight.

Edited by bardo (see edit history)

They say sentimental value isn't worth much to others, but I believe you would be making a mistake if you sold that car before you had a chance to take it for a nice cruise. That's the only way you will find out what it's really worth to you. Then you can compare your value to the actual value and see if you still want to sell. Just don't do what I did and end up falling in love with all of your cars. I have 26 now and my yard looks like a used car lot.

Was that picture taken the day the car went into storage or the day it came out? I'm just wondering what the "classic car guy" was looking at. If it is in the storage unit, not running, with 5 years of dirt, condensation "fur" all over the engine compartment, no battery, and no coolant level visible, he probably took a good roll of the dice. I have made similar offers and then prayed all the way home that the owner didn't call back and accept.

Just as a casual observer I would think about the $250 wiper motors for those cars. Why didn't they park? I would be suspicious about the hood alignment. Was it off the car for some reason? The skewed antenna shows a lack of attention to detail. And there are a lot of aged consumables; tires, hoses, belts, battery, brake questions, and the like that could rack up $3,000 to $4,000 worth of work pretty quickly. Those are obvious expenses. There could be unforeseen issues due to storage.

Either the seller needs to make it a salable driver or the buyer needs to deduct the refurbishing costs. Looking at a total commitment cost, would one fan out 60 to 100 $100 bills on the hood and say I want that car? That is the question to answer when preparing a car for sale.

Not meaning to be critical, just thinking about what gets a guy to reach in his pocket.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks

Hood looks like it needs the rubber hood bumper turned a couple turns, let's not make a big deal out of nothing. If that's what the car looked like coming out of storage it appears you have a decent car on hand. more pictures if exterior and interior and engine compartment would help a lot in giving you some better value opinions.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Welcome to the forum bardo. More pics and details provided as already mentioned will allow the team here to zero in on a value range. Without that its all just speculation. I love the bias tires with winter treads on the rear and that tells us a little about the car in itself.

It actually looks like a well cared for and stored car. If your grandpap grew up around the depression era or close to it many of these guys took exceptional care of cars once they were able to afford them.

I too would have to think long and hard before selling a car my grandfather had which I inherited. Unfortunately I never had that opportunity. Once a family heirloom like this is gone, they likely are gone for good and if 10 years from now you are in a better position to enjoy the car it will be too long too late. Sometimes its just not possible to keep a car like this due to storage and finance limitations and if thats the case you gotta do what you gotta do and you have come to the right place for advice.......But if its at all possible, you may wish to reconsider. There are things you can do to help the car survive long storage until you have time for it.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Here's the quote "I'd love to get feedback from Buick experts as to how I should go about selling this car. Any advice is much appreciated." Make it start, steer, and stop. Clean it like you were taking it to a show. If something is no big deal, fix it.

Bernie

I too would have to think long and hard before selling a car my grandfather had which I inherited. Unfortunately I never had that opportunity. Once a family heirloom like this is gone, they likely are gone for good and if 10 years from now you are in a better position to enjoy the car it will be too long too late. Sometimes its just not possible to keep a car like this due to storage and finance limitations and if thats the case you gotta do what you gotta do and you have come to the right place for advice.......But if its at all possible, you may wish to reconsider. There are things you can do to help the car survive long storage until you have time for it.

I agree that you should think hard and long before getting rid of the car. I have a good friend that has I think a 69 Pontiac LeMans that belonged to his grandmother. He will never sell it because he says that every time he gets in it or walks by the car it reminds him of the good memories with his grandmother. Once it is gone, it is gone. Also realize that sometimes one must move on, but....