What are these called?

Steve ,they are called sex nuts/bolts.

Correct. You have to be careful with the search string that you type into Google, however... ;)

All the usual sources sell them: MSC, McMaster Carr, Boltdepot.com. Unfortunately, most of the ones available have truss or pan heads, not flatheads.

Steve ,they are called sex nuts/bolts.I think with the pick,may be hard to get.I am sure we can help with something.I will talk to my brother asap.Steve,are they for yor dads truck?

I think they are also calling binding posts and/or Chicago Screws. Although the Chicago Screws I've seen have pan heads rather than flat heads.

Guest martylum

The screw is readily available. the nut was used in wood body for attaching parts and is available from Restoration Specialties ---a hardware supplier.

Guest cben09

Without knowing the dimentions,,,,,

The upper one looks a bit like the tube nuts that

hold the battery box cover of Packards,,1923-1931

and available repop i'm sure,,,Cheers,,Ben

Our local Ace Hardware store has various sizes too!!

A similar type was used to towel/support rod on an accordian-style plexigalss shower door.

Steve, try posting this in the Ford section. Years ago I worked on a Ford sedan that used these to hold on the door garnish moldings, trouble is I can't remember if it was a Model A or V8 but I remember they were new in an interior screw kit.

Howard Dennis

Steve, try posting this in the Ford section. Years ago I worked on a Ford sedan that used these to hold on the door garnish moldings, trouble is I can't remember if it was a Model A or V8 but I remember they were new in an interior screw kit.

Howard Dennis

Steve, I found them as "tube nuts" http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modelaparts/interiortrimscrews?page=2

Something along the same idea is a riv-nut, available in many sizes thru industrial hdwe distributors. Requires a special tool to set them correctly.rivnut%20round.gif

Actually, not. The riv-nut shown is intended to be a threaded insert in thin material. The sex bolts/binding posts are intended to be fasteners like a nut and bolt. The "nut" however is the tubular part that fits in the hole concentrically to the bolt instead of on the outside of the parts being fastened. As noted above, these are typically used in binding thick books, like dealership parts books.

post-48036-143142420656_thumb.jpg

All names that I have heard, here is what I used on the racks on my 1950 F1. I bought them off eBay. I used carriage bolts with them so both sides are smooth, they are large enough they have a star socket for tightening them.