63 stock brakes?

macc

How do the stock power brakes supposed to feel and operate. I have a feeling my brakes aren't working quite the way they should. When driving I really have to put my foot into it to get the car to stop. The pedal goes about halfway down before I feel it start to work. A few weeks ago I adjusted all the shoes and blead the brakes because I had no pedal and air in the lines. One of the drums was a lil tight but after driving it a few times it worked itself out.

The power steering and power brakes on the '63 Riviera were classic GM luxury car of the time. A little old lady can steer the car with no effort and can stop that 4200 pound hulk with her little foot.

Your brakes are not right.

Do you have any brake assist at very low speeds? I have a new booster (put in by the previous owner) on my recently purchased '63, but I still lose assist at higher speeds. I replaced all the engine vacuum hoses, which needed to be done anyway, but have yet to properly diagnose the reason for lost assist. From reading some related threads on the forum, it may be hardened brake linings and not a booster problem at all. Please keep us posted and I'll do the same.

I don't think I have any assist at all. Just a hard pedal. This is my first Rivi I have owned so I don't really know how the brakes are supposed to feel. I've put quite a few miles on the car in the past few weeks and the car stops just fine it just takes a lil leg muscle to do it.

Do you have any brake assist at very low speeds? I have a new booster (put in by the previous owner) on my recently purchased '63, but I still lose assist at higher speeds. I replaced all the engine vacuum hoses, which needed to be done anyway, but have yet to properly diagnose the reason for lost assist. From reading some related threads on the forum, it may be hardened brake linings and not a booster problem at all. Please keep us posted and I'll do the same.

How long has it been since the last complete brake job? If the shoes are decades old they won't have the flexibility to grip the drums.

I see a lot of posts with misinformation on drum brakes. This old guy doesn't do a bad job describing self energizing brakes:

It is a term I was family with years before US cars go disc brakes.

In 1959 I bought a five volume set of Mcgraw-Hill mechanic's books. I read those and still have all but one I loaned out. They are less than 4 feet away from me now.

If you own an old car you need to know the basics. This link is to my amazon store and at risk of promoting stuff for sale, the Stocktel book is great: http://www.carguygiftshop.com/ take the Amazon link and it is under Basic Mechanics Books.

My wife does a lot of programs with Teen Readers and one High School boy got that book as an award in his senior year. He was overjoyed that adults could find such an award. I have over 50 years of experience and still like to curl up with a book on basics.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Macc,

Your brakes should engage very quickly and the pedal should not drop halfway down before stopping the car if everything is functioning properly. Since you already removed the air out of the lines and adjusted the brake linings, my next item to check would be to see if the booster is holding vacuum and if the M/C is functioning properly. Also, make sure the brake stop switch on the front of the master is in there good and tight.