Door jamb switch from Clark's for my '63 - how to wire?

JanZverina

Another puzzler - I ordered a new door jamb switch from Clark's Corvair. I can contact them tomorrow but I thought someone might know how this is wired. The OEM switch has three terminals and three wires - black with white tracer, purple with white tracer, and solid purple. The Clark's part (see image) has one short yellow wire from ground (one metal spring clip that holds the switch in place) to one terminal. The other terminal is empty. Does anyone know how to wire this replacement switch to the OEM wiring? Thanks!

post-56475-143142399692_thumb.jpg

I don't think you can wire it for original OEM function. If you use the replacement switches each manual switch (courtesy, dome light, rear floor light) will operate all three lights.

I've seen a post elsewhere on this board which describes a modification to the new switch that used additional pig-tail wires and diodes to achieve the original function of OEM equipment.

Doesn't sound like a direct replacement. I will assume that all cars of that vintage used a ground circuit, I will soon be corrected if wrong. Your new switch is a grounding switch so see if any of your 3 wires shows voltage with lights on or off. If no voltage, see which one turns on the dome light when it is grounded and plug that one into the new switch at the open terminal. That should ground thru the switch and to the grounding spring when door is opened and break ground when plunger is pushed in.

The switch you describe is strange but all three wires need to go to ground to light the lights . You can tie all 3 together on the one leg of the switch . The switch makes and brakes the ground circuit . Perhaps they put the yellow wire there to be sure you have a good ground somewhere besides the metal clip ? You would need to tie the 3 wires and connect to the blank terminal .

Do you need 3 wires to ground a light? Or does it individually turn on 3 lamps? I don't have a schematic.

Three separate circuits: Sail panel/side console - rear courtesy light in back of console - and glove box light. They operate simultaneously when the door is opened or they operate individually with dedicated switches.

Guest onedesertdog

I was doing a search last night for door switches for my 65, and came across something similar as your picture. It was a switch that would work, but wasn't oem. It stated that the switch wasn't grounded, hence the yellow wire needed to go to a ground itself. And as stated above, all 3 wires are wired into the one terminal.

Please don't rely sole on my statement, as I'm still learning my way and don't want to give out the wrong info.

I believe I searched "65 Riviera door jam switches.

hth,

Buddy

I had my switches rebuilt from the guy Ed referenced. I can't remember his name and I'm at work so I can't refer to my invoice. He's in the Riview. Anyway, he did a first class job. Factory correct, very reasonably priced and quick turn-around. With the rebuilt switches, the body of the switch grounds against the door frame. It's best to take a small piece of sandpaper, scuff off a little of the paint inside the whole that the switch fits into, then prop the switch in. PRL

Jan,

Eric is correct in his post. If you tie all three circuits together on one terminal at the switch each of the individual manual switches will provide a ground for all three circuits. This door jamb switch will work, but take away the specific function of each manual switch. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

• 5 years later...
On 2/20/2014 at 11:12 PM, RivNut said:

If you have your original 63 - 65 switch, there's a new service provider advertising in the Riview. He states that he'll rebuild your switch with new contacts if the rest of the switch is good. $15 per switch includes USPS return delivery.

Ed,

another thank you for meaningful information that saves $$$$.  I have a good set of door jam switches and I tried to clean them inside and out. I got the outside clean. When I took the rascal apart the inside is simple enough, but loose. I’ll had to quit after 40+ minutes,?but I got one switch reassembled. The rascal is very sensitive and not stable to function properly. It is well worth what Wolfgang charges, but I’d like to complete this rebuild my damn self. To much ego can be harmful to ones health.🧠

Turbinator 

All,

My phone number has changed.  It is best to get me on my cell at 303-842-6308.  The one stated above is my old office number, it is changed to 913-232-9299.  The listing in the Riview has been revised for the latest issue.  Sorry about any confusion.

Rock On

gord