Buick Reference Books---Where are they?

Pomeroy41144

As a reference book author, I read the Buick Bookshelf thread with great interest. I decided to go with a dedicated thread for this topic.

I am a member of the Buick Club of America and I am a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club of America. I own a 1937 Ford. My father had both old Fords and old Buicks when I was a child but by the time we were teens it was all Straight Eight all the time. He had a 1941 Series 90 6P. My brother followed the family tradition and bought a 1941 Buick Series 90 like my father had. I purchased a 1937 Ford like my father had. Both me and my brother used to help my father with his old Series 90. We did not have many books or reference materials. We mostly relied on Buick people we knew --like Pete Fileca (BCA # 65) -- to help us to get it right. We were lacking in the reference book department. And as knowledgeable as my brother likes to present himself, it is evident that he does not know a great deal about his own car (he had no clue about dated window bugs for example).

When I purchased my 1937 Ford I made an effort to purchase as much reference material as I could. Fortunately for me, there is an abundance of material for pre-war Ford automobiles. The Early Ford V-8 Club of America has published a series of Ford Reference books specific to the cars recognized by the club. These books are great--offering excellent photos and tons and tons of useful information for the restorer and the hobbyist/owner. Some are better than others. For example, the 1934 Ford book is exquisitely detailed and informative--the 1938-1939 book is a close second, as is the 1937 Book. The 1932 Ford book is so detailed that it is a two volume issue. The 1940 book is slender and I hear that it is being re-written and expanded. When doing my work on my old Ford, having these reference materials was a tremendous help.

Now the question: Why isn't there similar year specific Reference/Restoration guides for Buick automobiles?

As a published reference author I am acutely aware of how difficult it is to write good reference books. The authors of the Ford books mention how difficult it is writing the books in the opening pages, so I understand that part. Still it is no excuse. Why are there no Buick reference works? Do any similar restoration/reference books exist for Buick that I might have overlooked or missed?

The truth is that some of these Buicks are very popular and I would bet that the market could stand the addition of similar Buick reference books. Regardless of if I owned an antique Buick or not (I do not-- a condition that is sure to change over time) I would certainly purchase these types of books, and I am sure that they would be popular among the BCA members.

Does any body know if there are any plans to write year specific reference books for Buick Automobiles like the Early Ford V-8 Club of America publishes for its cars?

Have there been any failed attempts to produce books like this?

Looking forward to the feedback.

post-75225-143142336974_thumb.jpg

post-75225-1431423370_thumb.jpg

post-75225-143142337026_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Now the question: Why isn't there similar year specific Reference/Restoration guides for Buick automobiles?

As a published reference author I am acutely aware of how difficult it is to write good reference books. The authors of the Ford books mention how difficult it is writing the books in the opening pages, so I understand that part. Still it is no excuse. Why are there no Buick reference works? Do any similar restoration/reference books exist for Buick that I might have overlooked or missed?

Not enough demand is my guess. Ford's out number Buicks by 100:1 or 1000:1 ?

Fords only had 1 model - engine per year (ignoring body styles) if I recall correctly.

Buicks prewar had 3 or 4 models with 2 or more engines per year

Also when they were just old used cars 20~30 years old suspect more Fords were modified. How many mid 30's Ford coupes were never souped up? Modified Buicks are less common

And Buicks were better built to begin with :)

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Not enough demand is my guess. Ford's out number Buicks by 10:1 or 100:1 or 1000:1 ?

Fords only had 1 model - engine per year (ignoring body styles) if I recall correctly.

Buicks prewar had 3 or 4 models with 2 or more engines per year

And Buicks were better built to begin with :)

Yep, multiple Series with multiple models within Series makes it complicated. But then that is kind of why a book like that would be handy.

You raise a very good point here. Bill Anderson has written a book on the restoration of 1941 Buicks. It is very detailed and even describes the level of gloss on the paint of the frame, inner front fenders, radiator frame, etc. This is a great reference for anyone restoring a 1941 Buick. I found that much of the material in this book applied to a 1948 Buick I once owned.

It is my understanding that the the Cadillac LaSalle Club has pursued the publication of restoration books for various years of these cars. Several have been completed and others are being developed. I agree that there is a limited audience for such reference books, but I think many in the hobby would find them very useful.

Joe, BCA 33493

You raise a very good point here. Bill Anderson has written a book on the restoration of 1941 Buicks. It is very detailed and even describes the level of gloss on the paint of the frame, inner front fenders, radiator frame, etc

http://www.andersonautomotiveenterprises.com/publications/booksandcds.htm

The gloss of paint has increased a lot over the years. Even in the last 25 years.

http://www.buickclub.org/otherlinks.htm

http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/

http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/archives

Thread referenced in post 1 http://forums.aaca.org/f115/buick-owners-bookshelf-197781.html

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Buicks are generally not the broken down clunkers needing restoration that Ford's are. Many survivors have led very gentle lives with quite conservative adult owners and there is still a reasonably good choice of well maintained Buicks, both for sale and for physical reference.

As a writing exercise, sit down and make three columns. Label them Buick, Ford, and Plymouth. Now list all the adjectives you can remember people using for each make. It won't take long to figure out Buicks are just big, comfortable, reliable cars that don't need someone rummaging around to find out how to keep them nice.

Bernie

I had a heck of a time getting a Reference Book for my 1915. 3 different chassis that year. Ford had one Chassis at that time. The Basic Model T to which all body styles were fitted. Our Buicks Had the C-24, C- 25, for one book, C-36, C-37 for another book. And C-55 for still yet another. And to finish it off, late in the year was a C-54 which only around 300 were built. I'm not even sure that a reference book was made for that model? (The C-55 would have had the same chassis data.) And then, least I forget the C-4 Truck which also had its own book. I finally found a very nice original for myself, and a second book that I donated to the AACA library for anyone else that would someday need a copy. They did not have one to copy for me when I asked so I knew this was one they were missing. Also there were DELCO electric reference Books for each different model. Some of these books are very rare and it would be tough to get some to even copy. I guess you see where this is leading.... Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Rather than Reference Guides, let's call them Restoration Guides as have some of the other clubs such as Cadillac Several years ago there was talk of the BCA doing this for the various years; but nothing came of it. Bill Anderson's Guide is great. Hope something can get started as we're gradually losing some of older experts on the various years.

Rather than Reference Guides, let's call them Restoration Guides as have some of the other clubs such as Cadillac Several years ago there was talk of the BCA doing this for the various years; but nothing came of it. Bill Anderson's Guide is great. Hope something can get started as we're gradually losing some of older experts on the various years.

My error. Cadillac Lasalle Club names them Authenticity Manuals. Pricey, but very nicely done.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Anderson 1941 Book. Great Work. We need more of these. The only complaint I have is there could have been more photos, especially of correctly restored cars or untouched originals. But overall I am very happy. I gave a copy to my brother for his birthday.