64 Riviera, something let go in the engine

Bill Stoneberg

Now, mowing the lawn it just what it sounds like, following a mower while taking a walk.

Yesterday, we put the pistons in. Sounds easy, well 7 went in with no issues. # 8 that was a different story.

Tried that one numerous times with a couple of different ring compressors. It kept getting hung on the oil scraper. Just wouldn't go int the hole correctly.

After some studying, it seems that the hole was the only one that was not chamfered. A file and a grinding wheel (not running just scraped) fixed that issue.

It still took two of us to get that last one on, one holding the ring compressor tight to the block while the other hit the piston gently.

Anyway it took two hours to get the last piston in.

• 6 months later...
could a timing chain failure been the cause of the valve tearing up that piston? What would cause a valve to just let go?

Adnulfo, The valve stem broke in half right above the valve, dropping it into the combustion chamber. There it acted like a large ball bearing in a dishwasher full of glass. It broke at least 3 pistons and I dont trust any of the rest and it broke the bottom of some cylinders. I still had compression and I am hoping I dont have to have them sleeved. Will know more after I take it to the machine shop.

John, I will keep you in mind for the pistons as I dont know what I will need yet. I would perfer not to go oversized if I can avoid it.

Good news is that the crank looked good, no scoring or scratches on the rod bearing surfaces. Going to pull the mains tonoght and look at them. Oil pump screen was full of metal particles though. I pulled a baggie of metal out of the bottom of the engine.

Brought this up again because i read in a motorcycle forum that some valves are two piece valves . That is they start off as two pieces and are welded / machined into one. They are notorius for breaking the way bills did on harley evo motors. Could it be that nailhead factory valves are two piece? Thats a scary thought! First time i ever heard of two piece valves. Seems like a bad design . What say you men?

It still took two of us to get that last one on, one holding the ring compressor tight to the block while the other hit the piston gently.

Anyway it took two hours to get the last piston in.

That story told by a Chief Financial Officer makes me think of how hard it is for my wife to make a simple Quickbooks entry sometimes She keeps the books for my work.

Bernie

Nope, The engine is in the car, most everything is re attached and I was hoping for some time this Christmas to work on it.

BUT, as usual, life got in the way. Cold weather (for us) and a pulled muscle has made it so I couldn't stand in the garage for any period of time.

It is supposed to be warmer this weekend and if it is, I plan on working on the car. I want to get it up and running again.

• 10 months later...

Its been 11 months or so and I blew up the engine I put in above.  Didn't even make it through cam break in before starting to knock.  Pulled it apart and the bearings were trashed and the bores scored.  

Rebuilt another engine and it is back in the car and about to start.  Need better luck with this one...

• Like 1

Any idea what lead to the immediate failure of the bearings?

I imagine it was crap (technical term) left in the engine when it was rebuilt. Dirt or dust left in the oil passages did me in.  The oil came out silver / grey when I drained it.  Had it checked by another machine shop and he wondered who fouled the engine up.