pre-purchase inspection

Guest carol huser

Guest carol huser

Hello, all--

My father, who is 88, has always wanted a classic car. I'm researching the feasibility of getting him one. He likes a '37 Buick Roadmaster convertible listed for sale in NE at mapesclassiccars.com. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to know if this car is as nice as it looks and worth somewhere near the asking price or not. Can anyone recommend an individual or company who could inspect the car?

I want this to be a good experience for my dad, and I'm not qualified to judge cars at all! Help, please.

Carol

There are several national inspection companies that will have a look, and their fees typically run $400-500 (which seems like a lot, but I've seen dozens come through our shop and that's what they charge). They'll take photos and look the car over. Some more thorough guys will check the body with a thickness gauge and hopefully there will be a road test.

I've also had inspectors come in, look the car over, make a list of flaws, and call it done. While that can be sort-of helpful, it doesn't really paint a complete picture of the car in context, A good inspector should ask you what your expectations are and go from there with an overview that will give details on the car, but put them in perspective. No car is perfect, but certain flaws are acceptable and certain ones are not. For example, on an all-original car in good condition, would you call many small chips in the paint defective? I had one inspector look at my 1941 Cadillac and tell the potential buyer it was covered with chips and micro blisters, which scared the buyer away. On the other hand, it was 100% original paint that won an AACA National HPOF award. See how context can make all the difference?

Finally, that Buick is going to be an expensive car (looking at that one, I'm guessing $50,000-70,000). Is that a price range you're able to explore as a gift? If not, I'm sure we can all make some good recommendations and many of us here may know of a suitable car if something a little more affordable is what you're looking for.

Hope this helps and this is a wonderful thing you're doing!

WOW. Your father has good taste.

I second Matt's advice about a professional appraisel when you get into this much money. From what I understand there are some who will put a value on the car.

Perhaps someone on the forum in the Lincoln, Nebraska area has done business with Jack Mapes and Mike Dugan in the past and would offer a reference by PM (private message).

post-63449-143142223151_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142222878_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142222883_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142223139_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142223144_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142223148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight Romberger
spelling errer (see edit history)

You really want to get an idea of how your father would use his old car. Does he want to show it? Does he want to drive it? A lot of old cars could be difficult for an 88 year old man to drive. How does he intend to maintain the car? I am sure if the right questions are asked and answered it will be possible to find him something he could enjoy.

Guest carol huser

Thank you all for replying. The asking price for the car is $52K. That seems reasonable to me if the car is as advertised and as shown in pics, but I just don't know. I've been warned that some cars look great on the web but turn out in the flesh not to be so great. At this price level, I want to find somebody to actually look at it. I can just pick an inspector off the web, but was hoping for a specific recommendation. I know this is Hershey week.

My mother died in June. She always wanted to get Dad a nice car, and he wouldn't let her. She left me some money, and I want to use it to get a nice car. He is minimally interested in showing the car, though we might do it at nearby shows (Chestertown, MD). We wouldn't travel far with it. Dad would enjoy driving it (or riding in it as I drive it) around the neighborhood or perhaps out for a meal. He's also said he would probably spend a lot of time sitting in the garage just looking at it.

Truth to tell, he always wanted a Packard, but when I asked him if there weren't some other cars he liked, he specified this model Buick. When he saw this particular car, he was pretty much hooked. Looks gorgeous, doesn't it? He says he knew somebody who had one like this when it was new and has never forgotten how nice it was.

Guest cben09

Carol,,,Are you familiar with this vintage car,,for driving it,

Consider who can be his friend/driver for small occasions,to do errends etc,,

I don't know your traffic there but an accident would ruin everything you've planned,

I had a friend who was nimble at the wheel at age 95,drove a 460 T'bird,,

If hes now alone,,add this factor,The car is only a symbol,,unless its used,Cheers Ben

Carol,

I have one just like it 1937 Roadmaster 4-door convertible.

The price seems very fair, in my opinion.

I have asked a friend near Lincoln, Nebraska to try to contact you, but he will be leaving for Hershey, PA shortly.

post-54863-143142223303_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142223317_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142223331_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314222335_thumb.jpg

Guest carol huser

Thank you, Marty. I really value that opinion. I hope to hear from your friend. Hershey is only a little over two hours from here. I'm thinking of driving over there, but have been a little discouraged by locals' descriptions of what a zoo it is to get into it....so much traffic.

Great pictures. Thanks.

Carol

Guest carol huser

Mary, I don't understand how to send a private message. I would give you my phone number and email if that would help your friend contact me.

Guest Bob Call

Carol

To send a private message put your mouse pointer on the person's name on the left of the posting and left click. A drop down menu will come up and Private Message one of the selections. Click on that and then write your message. I'm also ending you this posting by PM.

Bob Call

Carol,

What a wonderful thing you are doing for your father. You are totally correct to be cautious regarding any car purchase done sight unseen, especially in the price range you are looking at. I purchased my 1934 Packard from a dealer through Matt Harwood. Having been burned in the past on a remote purchase I was very nervous and had him answer reams of questions and send many additional detail photos plus videos of the car. At his suggestion I did spend the money for an on-site inspection by a prewar car expert and that sealed the deal. The car that came off the trailer was EXACTLY as represented with no surprises. Good luck!

Hi Carol,

Hershey can be a bit of a zoo, but once here it is automotive heaven.. at least for me..

I will suggest that you drive several cars of the type and vintage that you are contemplating buying.. just to make sure they are comfortable or at least not intimidating to drive. Some of the older cars are pretty tough to drive, some are very much like a modern car. or at least a car from the 50's and 60's.

I used to do purchase inspections, they were a full mechanical inspection, all four brake drums off, inspect the brakes for wear, leaks etc. The engine had a compression test done, and some water was drained, and some oil was drained, both into glass jars, to inspect. Magnetic plugs from the transmission and rear end inspected.

The minor paint chips, fabric wrinkles, stains etc are part of the character of the car, but the mechanical stuff is what will make your driving safe and uneventful.

Good luck with the search and inspection..

Greg L

Guest carol huser

That's a flattering offer, but I don't think I can trade Dad in. He never finished college, but a long time ago he was smart enough to get me through medical school. In today's dollars, that cost more than a car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carol huser

Marty Roth put me in touch with someone who has agreed to inspect the car. If it's as good as it looks, we're going to get it. I'll let you know.

Carol

I hope everything works out for you. Have you started to look around your area for a really well qualified mechanic who knows how to keep these in good running order? Since you and your dad are not shade tree mechanics yourself you will want to be sure to have someone local to whom you can go for those times when it will need some 'doctoring'. Like people, most old cars will need that kind of care more of that than new ones.

Guest carol huser

I have found someone--Last Chance Garage--specializing in classic cars. His cousin has a Buick almost exactly like this one.

Probably you've heard this:

A doctor takes his car to the garage for repairs. He gets the bill--for parts plus $100 per hour labor. "Why, that's outrageous," says the doctor. "That's as much as I charge."

"Why shouldn't I charge that?" says the mechanic. "I do just what you do. I do an examination, diagnose the problem, operate and fix it."

"Well," says the doctor, "just try doing it like I do -- with the engine running."

Carol

Guest Flivver250

What a fun story and a great daughter. I need my daughters to read your posts. I do not need to tell you to cherish the time with your father, you already are there. He is going to be thrilled.

Guest carol huser

Yes, he is thrilled. So am I. As for pictures, they will need to wait a bit. As the timing worked out, we are leaving for FL this week, and can't get the car here to MD before we go. My daughter and son-in-law will receive and look after it. Hopefully we'll get a spell of decent weather after I get back from a Denver business trip in early Nov, and Dad and I can come back up here to see the car and take more pics. My daughter will take some when it arrives, and if I figure out how, I'll post one of those. The car's not going out of the garage in the winter! Nice weather Sunday driver. Maybe we'll come to Hershey next year. It's not that far.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions.

Carol