Music at the shows

Guest lordairgtar

...Close your hoods, people...

If I closed the side-opening hood on my Packard, I would spend way too much time opening and closing it for people that want to see the enormous 356ci factory original flathead straight eight. It's easier to close it for those that want to take pictures. After glancing at row upon row of glittering SBC's the engine compartment in my Packard cause most people to stop, stare, point at the over-engine oil bath air cleaner or the long, skinny battery and smile.

Music? I can take it or leave it. I park as far from the speakers as I can get. The car-themed music of the late 50's, early 60's does get really, really old though.

Edited by JD in KC
typo (see edit history)

That's why they make hood latches, so people can open them on request. Most people are there to look at the car, not the engine.

Not quite correct. At AACA meets the hood is required to be open for judging. Most real car folks are also very much interested in the engine bay either just to gawk or ascertain what is correct. When I do leave the hood closed at a show I'm asked to open it far far more times than I'm asked to close it.............Bob

I have no problem with hoods-open for technical inspection, but we're talking Concours and Cruises. AACA judging requirements are what they are, but I'm talking rows and rows of late-model cars with 350 Chebbys stuffed under the hood, all showing us their shiny goodies.

Guest lordairgtar
The best music I've heard at a show was the cruise in at the Cleveland tn show. A brass Dixie land jazz unit also covering classics of the forties. Anyone who missed Marty Roth and I singing to the music missed very little but we had a good time. Give me live music any day. But let me hear the cars too. The basic question comes down to courtesy. I've also found a nmber of local shows being out on by guys with PA systems looking for an excuse to use them. Their first interest IS the music, not the cars or people and all the speakers point away from them. I have actually turned all four speaker at the DJ tent inward to face the Dj. He stomped up to me and said "are you trying to make me deaf??!!!? "

That DJ had no clue as to how sound should be set. I really like to hear Dixie Land Jazz bands. A cool band like that would make a wonderful diversion. I should probably add some to the queue. I understand the opinion you have about "their interest". However, a word about handling other peoples cars applies to handling the DJs speakers. Do not do it. It's a way for people to be hurt and property to be damaged. I saw a guy try and disconnect a speaker that had the cable locked and the whole tower came crashing down on his neighbor's car. It wasn't my show as I was there as artist that day. But it did not end well with a POed DJ, a POed car owner and an instigater who was taken away by the police for fighting with the car owner when he refused to pay for the damage. So no, don't touch the gear...it ain't yours. I do understand your frustration though. The best way is to speak to the DJ about volume and if he does not care or show concern, talk to the organizers. I try my very best to work with people as to volume and other issues. I have even moved speakers away from people who wished not to be so close to them.

Edited by lordairgtar (see edit history)

Guest lordairgtar

These are great answers to my topic. I respect the opinions of those who do not care to have music at shows...I really do get that. But I'm a DJ so there is a certain monetary issue going on here in my case. Not that I make much doing it, I take into consideration that many of these small car clubs are trying to support their club or help a charity, so I price accordingly. Yes, I could make $600 to $1500 doing weddings, but I would rather have a good time with friends and just cover my expenses. I think I get maybe $100 per cruise night and then $150 to $250 for shows. AnY organiser who is paying more than that is getting robbed. Out of this I also pay my "roadie" who sets cables out and arranges the library of music.

Another aspect brought up is sound, volume and speakers. When I started this enterprise, I had two large Sonic 15 inch speakers, a couple of Denon CD players, and a Fender 500 watt amp. Covering a large area with sound so announcements can be heard was nearly impossible with two speakers and the volume was unbearable near the DJ area. Now when I am hired to do a show I've never been to, I go and see ahead of time how big it is and learn how the show people will be laying out the show grounds. Then I figure out how many speakers I will need. I now have 8 speakers (2 smaller 12 inch Sonics, four 10 inch Peaveys and two 12 inch Peaveys, a larger Mackie amp mixer that can be split into two speaker bundles for better volume adjustment, and a more professional style CD chager. Am working on a laptop based system and once I get the sunlight problem figured out, I'll be on a hard drive with a Terabyte of music. Yay me!) I find that lower volume into more speakers makes a better experience. My next attempt at creating pleasant sound waves will be to acquire or have supplied, a scissor lift. I saw a DJ use one. He put all his speakers up on the lift and raised them about 50 feet above the crowd. You heard them everywhere but it was like conversation level sound. No one missed announcements or raffle numbers and everyone tolerated the music well.

Finally, if at any show I do and you are having issues with sound, come talk to me. You won't be brushed off and I will make it a priority that your issues are solved. Be mindful that at best, it will be a compromise, but I will try and make your day nice sound wise.

Now for my pet peave with DJs, playing your music through a stereo system. If your speakers are spread over a wide area, those older stereo songs are going to sound awful. It will sound like karaoke back tracks on one side and a capella singing on the other side...play the music in mono sound. Oh! And karaoke does not work at car shows....ever.

The statement above says it all.

EXACTLY. No one likes to be force fed someone else's idea of "good" music. If the music played is universally enjoyable then why does even the OP'er say it should be heard as back ground. I almost gagged at the reference to placing speakers on a 50' scissor lift so no corner of the show field would be safe from yet more sound pollution of the Do-Wop-A-Do or any other genre..........................................Bob

Guest lordairgtar

I think you misunderstand me. Or my choice of words was wrong. By tolerated I meant that people heard it but it wasn't drowning anything out. I think I'm tryin g to do a good job for everyone, but obviously I can't. When I saw the lift and heard it, I thought this is a good idea. When I say everyone heard the thing, I meant at a nice level and announcements were heard that needed to be heard. To explain it better I guess it would be like having the radio on in the next room of where you might be in your house...but you are aware of it, you hear it, but it's kinda background As DJ, it's my job to announce lost and found stuff, paging people that need to be found, door prize ticket numbers and all that. I get a lot of complaints from people who just don't hear their name or tix number called. Obviously I can't please everyone but I make a pretty damned good effort and I am pretty proud of that fact.

Edited by lordairgtar (see edit history)

lordairgtar,

I have been reading this discussion and at the risk of offending you let me see if I can summarize what I see here. This is the Antique Auto Club of America Discussion Forum. The Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) does not provide, condone, or allow DJ music at national AACA events. The clear majority of the replies here seem to agree with me that at car shows DJ Music, if perfect, would be no better than no DJ Music. If not perfect, DJ Music is a bad idea at a car show.

Some AACA Regions and Chapters may allow such DJ Music at their local events. In my experience, most do not. In my experience, the ones that do get lots of complaints about the music.

I sense that you are not getting the responses here that you initially wanted or expected. I hope we can keep the conversation civil. Your last post seems to be getting a bit defensive. Your target audience, the people who run the types of shows that use DJ Music, probably are not going to be found on this site. You may do better finding someone who wishes to discuss this subject elsewhere.

MCHinson makes a very valid point. With something like 50 responses, no one who isn't actually involved in providing car show music has said they like music at car shows and would prefer it to no music at all. At best they say they can stand it and several, myself included, have made a point of saying they park as far away from the speakers as they can. I'd been away from old cars for 30 years and came back only in the last two or three. As such, I hadn't been exposed to being force fed "entertainment" I wouldn't have in my house or car at an event I paid to attend.

If the AACA officially disdains this practice, I have more respect for them. Now that I think of it, my most recent encounter with the "big speaker" was at the oldest of our local shows, albeit under new management (Originally it was run by the local chapter of the VMCCA, now almost defunct). The new management has allowed hot rods etc. although they have the grace to put them all together in a separate lot. They are the ones that had the speakers set up... but thankfully they were far enough away so that they didn't spoil the occasion for everyone.

Guest lordairgtar

I am so sorry if I came of as defensive. I just wanted get feed back. Although national events do not have DJs, I know that other shows do and your gracious forum members do attend other shows. I am just trying to be the best I can be. In my original post i stated I wanted to get replies good or bad, or perhaps I should have said pro or con and to see what attendees expect, or not expect. I appreciate ALL answers. I take everything said to heart. I want to be better at what I do. Thank you very much for your patience.

I am so sorry if I came of as defensive. I just wanted get feed back. Although national events do not have DJs, I know that other shows do and your gracious forum members do attend other shows. I am just trying to be the best I can be. In my original post i stated I wanted to get replies good or bad, or perhaps I should have said pro or con and to see what attendees expect, or not expect. I appreciate ALL answers. I take everything said to heart. I want to be better at what I do. Thank you very much for your patience.

I'm thinking that you need to understand that there are all kinds of car shows. The AACA and CCCA shows are all about authenticity, so they have a formality about them that would not lend itself to background music of any kind as it's hugely distracting for the judges and entrants. While the public is encouraged onto the show field it's all about the competition between the exhibitors. No aural entertainment is necessary. The competition is the entertainment. Many club shows are like this, too. Every last nut and bolt must be right. Many people enjoy that.

I've found a niche in the Concours side of car shows where there is intense judging, but they are essentially just beauty contests. The more wow factor the better your chances of being recognized. Well, except for Pebble. At Pebble it's almost mandatory that you drive the 88-mile Tour and then judges take you through the technical ringer.

I think you are really looking for feedback from a site for cruisers. We attend cruises all the time. If the music annoys us we simply leave. You can't do that for an AACA or Concours event. You've committed to stay in one spot for the entire day, except for a pass in review or award ceremony. I actually had to lightly sabotage a speaker at the Glenmoor gathering a few years ago. It was so piercing that people were taking their hearing aids out.

I have to say that I am embarrassed by the responses most people have posted on this thread. Ok, so some of you do not like 50's-60's music, it has been too loud, or you have encountered a DJ that was a jerk. Is that any reason for you to take it out on this guy that said he was looking for suggestions to improve his shows? Obviously he does not fall into this category if he is on here asking how to make his show better. He has already said that he plays his music at background level, and now uses more speakers and wants to get scissor jacks because he gets better coverage this way without blasting out people next to the speakers. You are basically telling him to get lost, and that you don't care if he has a job. What a nasty welcome for a new member who was only trying to get input to make his shows more enjoyable (or at least tolerable to those that hate DJ's at car shows). And then people on here wonder why they have a hard time getting new members.

As for suggestions:

Play more variety of music. Matching the music to the cars is a nice idea, but most shows I go to (which I hate rod and customs shows) the best prewar trophy is won by a car because it is the only one there that qualifies for it. But it couldn't hurt to throw in some Dixieland or 40's music for variety.

Play some vintage car ads to add some interest and break it up a little.

Keep announcements to a minimum. I hate hearing the same announcements every 10 or 15 minutes. As well as thanking all the same sponsors every 10-15 minutes.

I also hate longwinded stories about a song, or telling dragged out personal stories. A few quips are fine, but again, keep it to a minimum.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

You know, I kind of agree with Linc here - even though I previously said I didn't like music at car shows. We're being really critical of a DJ who plays at car shows and is asking for advice from people who like cars. I really like Linc's suggestions and would not mind music if a DJ followed some of them.

Someone mentioned car hoods being up. A few years ago I altered my photography practice and started including taking closeups of the engine bays. I hate to ask anyone to put their hood down but if someone offers I gratefully thank him for doing it but I ususally ask him to leave it up until I get a shot of the engine. There is one exception. When cars are parked six or eight feet apart and you have to shoot from the front of the car, you will not get a decent photo of a Corvette if the hood is up. That hood swung to the front and standing almost straight up just overpowers the photo and the photo will look like the hood is too large for the car. A Corvette owner asked me this summer for photos of his car after I explained the situation to him. I sent him photos with the hood raised and with it down and he promptly sent me an email telling me he understood now what I was saying.