1922 Buick 22-35 Starter Generator

crazycars

If you decide to remove your starter/generator (sometimes called the motor/generator) the trick is to tap out the tapered pin on the shaft between the water pump and the unit. Next, remove the small bolts holding the flange plate behind the coupler. Next, using plenty of WD-40, tap the coupler towards the water pump. It may be necessary to tap forward then back to loosen but it will come free. After this, you can unbolt the unit from the block and wiggle it loose.

Upon close inspection, after opening the case, I have found that many wires are missing most of their insulation, due to age and deterioration. Some were originally fastened to the inside of the case with metal clips to keep them out of the way of the turning armature. These are dead shorted!

Purchased a spare motor/generator at a good price. I replaced a couple of brushes and tension springs from my old unit then gave it a thorough cleaning with electronic cleaner spray. Oiled up the shafts and it ran when 6 volts was put to it! Hope I get this lucky finding a front and rear spoke wheel and split rims for this beast at Hershey.