Removing Broken Bolt

MochetVelo

• 5 months later...

I also melt beeswax down into the threads before welding. You'll either get it out easily or find out why it was broken to begin with.

I TIG weld, if it is flush or even down a little you can sitll get to it welding from center outwards.

Guest Pete Morris
I also melt beeswax down into the threads before welding. You'll either get it out easily or find out why it was broken to begin with.

I TIG weld, if it is flush or even down a little you can sitll get to it welding from center outwards.

Good idea

Guest frazer51

Now if the bolt is broken a thread or 2 into the hole you will need to drill. First punch a mark as close to the center of the broken bolt as possible. Then take a small drill bit , about 1/8 and with a hand held electric drill start drilling. Keep in mind that you may need to angle the drilling to help keep it in the center. You might try to drill through the broken stud but it is not necessary. Now the hard part, you need to have some left hand drill bit in your collection of drill bit. I usually find these at yard sales or even flea markets. You might even try at a hardware store, good luck. You should start with a bit slightly larger than the 1/8 starter bit. After each time you slowly drill increase the size of you left hand drill bit and if luck is on your side a some point the bit will grab and actually screw the remains of the broken stud out. In any case don't run your drills at high speed, some bolts are grade 8 and will work harden making it difficult to penetrate the surface. The same thing will happen after a stud has a welded surface. I have been involved with these kind of things all my working life

Thanks for posting. I've done this before but without the washer. Adding the washer would have made it easier to weld the nut on.

I've also had to drill them out and I've found that frazer51's technique of gradually increasing diameter left-hand drill bits works a good bit of the time.