Motometer ?

Guest tkobo

Hi, i recently came into possession of this item,and doing research on it discovered there are a bunch of repros.Not being able to identify this as genuine or a repro ive come here to ask.Here are some pictures i hope supply the necesary info.

post-95874-14314214577_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145779_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145789_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145797_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145805_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145813_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145821_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145828_thumb.jpg

post-95874-143142145836_thumb.jpg

The pics are a bit fuzzy, but the motometer looks orig.

I can't see much of the cap/wings, that it is mounted on, to know if those are also orig.

Motometers were installed into many styles of caps, plain, or with wings, dogbones, etc. There is a chance yours was put together much later, or maybe not.

post-95874-143142145868_thumb.jpg

Sorry, i thought i put a pic of the wings up.

The red in the tube,whats the deal with that ?It appears to be "painted on " in the tube.How would you read it ?There doesnt appear to be anything in the tube that can rise or lower to the various marked levels ?

Ill put a pic up of the wings.

post-95874-143142145859_thumb.jpg

Edited by tkobo (see edit history)

The red in the tube is the liquid... its stuck or air locked or whatever happens to them. Its a thermometer and reacted to the temperature of the water in the radiator. Nearly all old motometers have this problem. It was a very popular accessory, first introduced in 1914 and popular until exposed radiators went out and temperature gages came in.

What are we looking at for estimated production date ?

Are the wings original ,most of the ones i found online were more ornately decorated ?

About $150 a fair asking price ?

I'd like to get a large, early example but that is more than I would pay. You can always put it in the Buy/Sell part of the forum or list it on ebay and see what happens. Yours is the generic version. In the 20s they were also made with the front plate showing the name of a particular car. I don't know that they are "original equipment" for any car and I've no idea how a generic accessory, no matter how popular, is handled in the context of AACA judging. They aren't rare and I don't see many of them in use. Years ago I had one on my '27 Cadillac.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

You can get the red fluid to come back down by banging it on something with give to it. I used my spare tire and banged it several times. You will see the fluid start the to come down. You may have to do this maybe 15 to 25 times to get it all the way down where it should be. Once it is down never lay it flat or the fluid will migrate back to the top over time.

With all deference to John's advice to bang it,

A better way might be to leave it in the freezer for several hours - or even overnight. This usually produces good results and less chance of damage.

Good luck !

post-54863-143142148037_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314214804_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142148042_thumb.jpg

No need to replace the thermometer part, you might be disappointed, the original part is the best. The way I have found to get the red stuff back down is by use of centrifical force. Attach a heavy twine or wire about 3 or 4 feet long to it in a manner that it is connected upside down, in other words not at the base. Then twirl the heck out of it. I have had 100% success doing this to a half dozen motometers.

K, thanks for the help all.

Ill probably try the freezer method for getting the liquid back into working order.Though the whirling method sounds kinda fun....

Your Boyce Motometer has a logo that says "Standard" on the front of it. This is not the Boyce Motometer's company logo, that I've ever been aware of. That company sold many of them, as "senior" or "junior" models. I believe it came off an early truck called a "Standard". I've not looked this up, I only am hearing the ringing bell, (Standard/old truck). I once owned a pair of Boyce motometers in the original boxes, along with the instruction pamphlet, instructing the new owner, (with pictures), to tap the stem on a tire to get the red fluid back down whereas it can flow up the glass tube during shipping or storage laying down flat. I would go with Marty or Dave's recommendations to do this. I can't tell if the "wings" are old or not. Don't try to use pliers to straighten out the threaded rim of the cap. They are very brittle and will break. Good luck, Pete.

Guest prs519
K, thanks for the help all.

Ill probably try the freezer method for getting the liquid back into working order.Though the whirling method sounds kinda fun....

Be sure of your knot on the twirling method, lest you slay Goliath!

No need to replace the thermometer part, you might be disappointed, the original part is the best. The way I have found to get the red stuff back down is by use of centrifical force. Attach a heavy twine or wire about 3 or 4 feet long to it in a manner that it is connected upside down, in other words not at the base. Then twirl the heck out of it. I have had 100% success doing this to a half dozen motometers.
Be sure of your knot on the twirling method, lest you slay Goliath!
Wave goodbye to one Motometer if that string breaks !!!

Don't do that in the same room with your big screen TV

Hhehehehhe, funny stuff.

We tried the freezer method,gave it circa 2 days,divided into about 12 hours and about 36 hours,fluid didnt seem to budge at all.My dad,in his 70's,claimed it was now thicker at the bottom (IE it had moved a bit),but hes not only very old, his eyes are even worse then mine :) So i think he imagined it.

I managed to find a very serious collector,and he was kind enough to reply to my email.

Yours is a "Standard" model Boyce motometer. It is not for the automobile called a Standard. So it is Boyce's way of designating the "Standard" model motometer.

http://motometercollector.com/Moto_Meter_Collector/Welcome.html

The guy is very nice, and appears to have hundreds of motometers in his collection,with pictures of each on the site.

</pre>