Just got back from the camper...

DAVES89

and yesterday a young man, late teens early 20's walked into my campsite because he had to talk to the owner of that neat Buick. He had been drinking so I don't know how sincere he was, but he kept gushing over how great these cars were and how he never saw a car like that and don't take me wrong but Buick makes grandpa cars and this sure wasn't one. He also said he had a Firebird and this was way cooler then that and can I buy a Reatta for less then 5000.00?

Then when I showed him the touch screen he just couldn't believe they had that technology back then.

I was tempted to give him my address and sell him the Black and throw in a 12 pack of beer to boot, but then what would I drink and then be able to drive this winter? So I told him there were a bunch out there and that he would find one.

What kind of camper?

Now that is an interesting question...

31' with a living room slide out.

Just started looking for a replacement refrig as the gas/electric one is acting goofy and we don't trust it.

Don't relish the idea of two service calls [w/trip charges] plus parts and maybe a A/C charge so thinking I would just pull out the old one and put in an electric one. The camper is at a permanent site with no intentions of pulling it. Any opinions?

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Heh,

I had a couple of neighbors checking out Reatta #3 yesterday while I was working on it. Neither was drunk, but they were intrigued by the car (both have seen my other cars, but had been up close and personal with either of those. The funny part was that I was taking out the rear interior trim, and putting it in a pile on the ground like one of those restoration shows on TV. I got a chuckle when one told me I was a genius, as they would have no idea how to tear all that apart, much less get it back together again. I told him that by the third time through, I'd better be an expert.

KDirk

Guest Richard D

How old is the fridge? I had a coachmam with w large dometic two door and sfter 10 years it was not getting as cold as it should. Friend cleaned out the boiler tube with a metal snake and it worked like new, 110, 12vdc and gas.

The fridge is original to the camper which is a 1999. I did some looking around on RV forums to learn more about these units [it is a Dometic #2652]. We had been experiencing freezing in the fridge part and that I believe is do to the thermostat probe not being attached to the cooling fins. [it had fallen off and I never knew where to reattach it] So I learned where that goes.

We also ran out of gas and that caused the fridge to shut down, which made me wonder if the unit works on the electricity side. So I am reading up on what tests I need to run to determine that.

I also learned about a variable sensor/thermostat that I can install to better regulate the temperature in the fridge, so I am interested in that as well.

The fridge works great as far as getting cold, just have to work out the "bugs"

Forget the mini fridge. How about this:

Develop a proper gasket for the rear deck storage bins, remove the carpet from the bins and shoot with Line-X (or similar). Put in a refrigeration system that will cool both bins and keep food and drinks in them for long road trips. Would probably be possible to do one as a freezer (gotta have ice for the drinks!) and one as a fridge. Not a lot of capacity, but would be handy. Yeah, it isn't at all practical from a cost/effort standpoint, but most of my ideas aren't.

Or another twist on the same idea, if one doesn't mind sacrificing the trunk pass trough and some space: build a mini-fridge accessible through the ski-door, so it would be completely concealed. I think I like that even better.

KDirk

John,

No worries. I am pacing myself, drinking lots of water and so have a portable canopy at my disposal. Also have a large shade tree above the area I am working in. As Dirty Harry said "a man's got to know his limitations".

KDirk

Guest Richard D

Dometics of that era are known for poor temperature regulation. When operating mine on propane main section would freeze overnight then thaw during the day, it did keep the temp. at 36 degrees, freezer at minus 5.