A Centurion's Sentimental Journey Home

Centurion

One week ago this evening, I learned that my 96-year old Dad had passed away. In view of his age, I knew that his life could end at any time, but I'm thankful that he was remarkably healthy and sharp until the very end. I already miss him.

Dad purchased my Centurion as a new car, way back in December, 1970, so it's been a long-term fixture in my life and in my garage. I knew that one way that I could honor Dad was to drive the Centurion yet again to my old hometown, celebrating his fine taste in automobiles. Last Thursday morning, we left home near Seattle in the mighty Centurion, embarking on our thousand mile round-trip to rural Eastern Oregon.

I had not had opportunity to drive the Centurion more than a few miles this year, so knew that unsuspected problems could possibly arise. We were fully loaded with my 17-year old twins, my wife, and I, plus luggage for a 4-day weekend and memorabilia for Dad's service and reception. Temperatures were nearly 90-degrees (F), and we crossed four mountain passes each direction. We ran the A/C continuously, and cruised at a steady 70-mph.

The Centurion did not disappoint in any way, and I marveled again at the quality of ride and the comfort of the seats. Wind noise is a little greater than we experience in the newer cars, but we were able to converse easily, and the '71 Buick AM/FM stereo radio performed admirably, even in rural areas where the radio transmitters are few and far between.

With each stop for fuel or food, I was approached by strangers with questions and comments regarding the Buick. I'm amazed at the interest the Centurion generated, and was met with some of the usual inquiries about the '71 deck lid louvers. Many asked whether these were a custom touch that I had added.

One young man shot photos of the Buick in the rural Horse Heaven Hills area of Washington state, calling his mother outside to remember the Centurion his family had inherited from a grandfather. He shared that the Centurion had saved their lives. A sofa had fallen off the back of a truck immediately in front of them, and their Centurion plowed through the sofa as though it did not exist.

Family and friends, many of whom had owned Buicks (including Centurions) of this era, were thrilled to see the Buick at the memorial service, so it proved absolutely worthwhile to have driven the car on this journey.

A speedometer test section of the Interstate Highway (I-84) in Eastern Oregon revealed that the car's odometer is asbsolutely right on the nose, and the Buick odometer turned over 160,000 wonderful miles on the return trip yesterday.

I remarked to my wife that the Centurion was built for these long Interstate journeys. It would be difficult to imagine a more pleasant ride.

The schedule was full, but I set aside a few minutes to shoot some quick photos of the Centurion in a handful of memorable Eastern Oregon locations.

The "Little Pig Drive-In" in Baker City represented the northern terminus of the local "cruising circuit", a route the Centurion navigated many times as a new car. Once a classic 1950's/1960's era drive-in restaurant, the restaurant is now greatly-changed. Only the original sign retains the charm of the past, when it was a beacon for all of us who were "dragging the gut" in our parents' cars:

9003976726_85a6b6635b_b.jpg

Although not part of the California-based fast food chain, the sign at the local In-and-Out bears a similar style. I wish I had been able to capture a night-time shot here, but you get the picture. This restaurant has looked just the same for more than 50 or 60 years now:

9003965216_314849e9f7_b.jpg

9002782119_9e9c1e6e60_b.jpg

This photo really shows how heavily loaded we were for the return trip:

9002779861_f2eb4b5316_b.jpg

Nearby LaGrande boasts a fantastic 1959-vintage Texaco service station. There was a '66 Chrysler New Yorker in the service bay when I pulled the Centurion in to the gas pumps.

9002796111_1f2211b092_b.jpg

9003969784_1411ddf5dd_b.jpg

9003967480_f1ac87b5dd_b.jpg

Hal's Hamburger in Pendleton, Oregon -- "world's round-up city" and home of the famous woolen mills -- was the back-drop for another photo:

9002775041_a19e3dd630_b.jpg

Thanks, Mom & Dad, for years of fun in the Centurion. We enjoyed many wonderful trips together, and I promise to keep the Centurion on the road. I'll think of you every time I touch the steering wheel.

My heartfelt condolences Brian in the loss of your father. I'm thankful that he was able to be with you at the centennial celebration of Baker City Motors. Thank you for posting the pictures of the local businesses,

and I'm thankful that your Centurion performed so well on your trip to eastern Oregon and back home again.

My heartfelt condolences Brian in the loss of your father. I'm thankful that he was able to be with you at the centennial celebration of Baker City Motors. Thank you for posting the pictures of the local businesses,

and I'm thankful that your Centurion performed so well on your trip to eastern Oregon and back home again.

I couldn't have said it better.

I am sorry for your loss, Brian.

Guest wildcat465

Again, condolences on your loss Brian.

Thank you for sharing that great story and pictures of your trip.

Please accept Rita and my condolences Brian. 96 years is a long life and I am sure his was a good one. Wow, the twins are 17 now, I remember some of the first pics of the 59 with them. Would love to see more.

Great pics and story of the trip. The title says it all. Thanks for sharing.

Brian,

Many condolences from myself and my family. Dad has been gone 17 years and I still find times to miss him as he wanders into my thoughts when certain things are in "their right place at the right time". Wonderful that you could take the Centurion on the trip and even more that you had an uneventful one to boot! He's smiling from above. Matt

Many condolences from the NorthEast to you, and your family Brian. Sorry that I almost missed this thread. So honorable that you were able to return Dad's car to home one more time. You'll all be remembered in our prayers this week.

And God Speed to your Dad, a real Buickman...

Brian, my condolensces for the loss of your father. May his memory be eternal. Thank you for sharing the story and photos from your journey home in the Centurion. It's wonderful that the car performed so well on such a long trip. It's a testament to the quality of our old Buicks, to your father's good judgement in buying the car, and to your excellent care of the car over the years.

Ike

Guest my3buicks

Great story Brian, you have my condolences on the passing of your father. You can bet your Dad was riding right there between you and your wife beaming at the tribute you were giving him by just driving the car for the occasion. That will be one of the most memorable drives you will ever take in the C.

Great story Brian, you have my condolences on the passing of your father. You can bet your Dad was riding right there between you and your wife beaming at the tribute you were giving him by just driving the car for the occasion. That will be one of the most memorable drives you will ever take in the C.

You're right about that, Keith! Since I can't join you other Centurion drivers at the National in South Bend, at least I've had a really memorable trek in the Centurion this year.