Tire treatment with white walls

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

As my cars in the past have always had black wall tires I have used Armor-all or some similar silicone tire treatment. What should I use on my Riviera tires that have a whitewall? Is silicone ok? Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

I use absolutely nothing on the white walls - other than soap and water, and plain old 'elbow' grease !

I definetly do not recommend a silicone spray - while it works wonders for blackwall tires, it will permanently stain, or yellow white side walls. There are several specific whitewall tire cleaners on the market to get them squeaky clean - some work better than others, and a stiff bristle scrub brush will certainly help.

Curb rash, and stubborn stain can be removed by scrubbing with SOS, or Brilo pads, followed by a good scrub with the brush and a white wall cleaner of your choice. Rinse them thoroughly with water and clean them regularily to keep them looking new.

I have also used laquer thinner sparingly on the white wall portion only, to restore old whitewalls, and then maintain them per above.

Try this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]196196[/ATTACH]

X3

Wet the tire and spray it with the bleach white. The tire will turn brown as the dirt is released from the pores in the rubber. Rinse the tire. Repeat, repeat, repeat until there's no more brown coming from the tire. (You guys with black walls should do this to BEFORE you slicken' 'em up. If you don't you've just got shiny dirt.) Once the tires are really clean, I think you'll like the way they look without the shiny stuff on them, the rubber actually has a nice finish to it if it's clean. Just nice clean rubber. Love the SOS pads too for the tough stains.

Ed

Have you ever heard that the sense of smell is stronger at bringing back memories than sight or sound? I found this with the degreaser that I used on my SBC for my '59 GMC project.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6227&d=1365980795

My brother turned me onto this cleaner that is a totally safe engine degreaser. I got it at O'Reilly's and it comes in a spray bottle or a gallon. I used it straight with it in a mixing cup and used a parts washer brush to apply it to the engine. As I am doing this the smell of the degreaser triggered a memory from when I was a lot boy at the Chrysler dealership. I remembered something that smelled like this was used to clean whitewall tires, which I used alot as almost every car then had whitewalls.

So I tried it on a tire that I have had sitting around that came off my '74 GTO. It had the WWs turned in so they weren't cleaned when the car was washed. This stuff cleaned that tire to like new.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6228&d=1365981162

I know most tires on cars here are not WW or RWL, but it would even clean the blackwall to look like new.

Anyway, I though that it might be usefull to some here, a great engine degreaser and a great tire cleaner in one and it's cheap.

Guest 1963 Riviera

I use warm water, toothpaste and an old toothbrush, then apply Armour All Extreme tyre shine with a cloth to the blackwall....works for me

Nick

My brother turned me onto this cleaner that is a totally safe engine degreaser. I got it at O'Reilly's and it comes in a spray bottle or a gallon. Anyway, I though that it might be usefull to some here, a great engine degreaser and a great tire cleaner in one and it's cheap.

So what's the name of this stuff? :confused:

Guest Kingoftheroad

I've always had good results using SOS pads on white walls or raised white letters..

X3

Wet the tire and spray it with the bleach white. The tire will turn brown as the dirt is released from the pores in the rubber. Rinse the tire. Repeat, repeat, repeat until there's no more brown coming from the tire. (You guys with black walls should do this to BEFORE you slicken' 'em up. If you don't you've just got shiny dirt.) Once the tires are really clean, I think you'll like the way they look without the shiny stuff on them, the rubber actually has a nice finish to it if it's clean. Just nice clean rubber. Love the SOS pads too for the tough stains.

Ed

I use it on "all" my tires, blackwall and whitewall! BUT, I use a body brush after the applying the bleach white, I let it "soak" for a couple of minutes, scrub it, and then rinse. Sometimes it takes more than one application depending on how long it has been since the last cleaning.