55 special 4 door fix up

NC-car-guy

Mine is part time by way of a toggle switch under the dash. I activate before starting to fill the carb and when vapor lock occurs or is anticipated. Just be sure that the electric fuel pump will allow fuel to be pulled through it by the mechanical pump, that the mechanical pump has recently been rebuilt with ethanol resistant materials. If you eliminate the mechanical pump or use the electric full time install this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-cr92/applications/?prefilter=1

I use a 7-9# pump (Airtex) at the tank which will give the desired 5# at the carb. When traveling instead of carrying a replacement mechanical pump I have a hose to bypass the mechanical pump (It is a "beach" to replace the mechanical pump on a 55 with factory air).

Willie

So I broke down and ordered the electric fuel pump yesterday. However, I got it running this morning. I noticed I have a fuel leak coming off the bottom of the tank. When I drained the tank a month or so ago, I pumped it up with air and it was not leaking..... Do you think my hard line to the frame could be leaking and running down? This could also explain the hard prime issue on the pump maybe? Here's some video of it running:

th_20140125_115450_zpsfxo9kxuf.jpg

th_20140125_115735_zpsmc7jl2al.jpg

Sorry my phone takes poor quality video/audio

Wish I could open the file for viewing. My old PC would let me open an MP4. As for the leak, I would definitely think it was a line failure. Are you using the original sender? or a new one? If new, did you flare the end for a metal fitting or use a small bit of runbber line with clamps?

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

If the tank is full, I am going to say the leak is actually between the gasket and tank, or the screws. I coat the screws with sealant of some sort, and use a thin layer of sealer on both sides of the sending unit gasket. If the tank isn't full, then I bet it is the rubber line over a non flared sending tube.

Just guessing. I have experienced all of these issues.

:D

Tank patched, car running.... Question.... I've noticed the car rolls in park. Today I played with it while up on jack stands.... I'm thinking its just linkage adjustment but want some feedback. While the selector says N the wheels move pretty fast, but I'm able to stop them with my foot and good pressure. When you switch to D the wheels move to a point you cannot stop with just your feet, you must press the brake. But when you go stop the wheels and go to P....then let off the brake it seems to go back to neutral and if you let off the brake while holding the gear selector firmly at P, it chatters like hell.... Opinions??

Check the engine mounts, tranny mount and thrust pad, then adjust the shift linkage as outlined in the service manual. A quick way to rule out the transmission is to detach the shift linkage at the shift arm at the transmission and compare to the current observations ( there are detents in the transmission ).

Willie

Put the gas tank back and took it for a ride today... She rides and runs great. Stopping is a little weird so I'm going to pull and check the other wheels. I have 235/75/15 on it and they seem to rub when I turn her really hard. Anyone know what the output on the generator should be? At the Gen I have 2 volts at idle....at the battery I see no difference. The gauge on the dash seems to stay right in the middle. Also, the oil pressure gauge pegs to "H".... any thoughts? Thanks guys!

The tires are too tall. Might have to move to a 215/75R15. My experience with my generator is the gauge is in the middle at speed and the battery has a good charge. If the battery is needing a charge and lights are on the gauge will run towards the +. If I'm at a stop and idle headlights on the gauge will go towards -. If you have a tester for charging use the terminal posts on the battery to check. Bring the idle up and voltage should be above 12 volts and towards 15 volts. Much higher and the battery will cook. At idle the charge reading my be even at 12 volts or sometimes less as the firing of spark plugs is creating a draw. Generators work differently than alternators in this respect. It sounds like you are running on pure battery and the generator is not charging or your gauge in the dash is not working. It is always best to test charging with a known good battery. I had a failing battery and the generator was working like mad to charge it. The battery was boiling. Installed a new battery and charging returned to normal. Best to check the charge manually at the battery. My oil gauge runs up towards the H when driving. At idle she reads middle towards the low. Sounds like you are ok on the oil pressure.

The tires are too tall. Might have to move to a 215/75R15. My experience with my generator is the gauge is in the middle at speed and the battery has a good charge. If the battery is needing a charge and lights are on the gauge will run towards the +. If I'm at a stop and idle headlights on the gauge will go towards -. If you have a tester for charging use the terminal posts on the battery to check. Bring the idle up and voltage should be above 12 volts and towards 15 volts. Much higher and the battery will cook. At idle the charge reading my be even at 12 volts or sometimes less as the firing of spark plugs is creating a draw. Generators work differently than alternators in this respect. It sounds like you are running on pure battery and the generator is not charging or your gauge in the dash is not working. It is always best to test charging with a known good battery. I had a failing battery and the generator was working like mad to charge it. The battery was boiling. Installed a new battery and charging returned to normal. Best to check the charge manually at the battery. My oil gauge runs up towards the H when driving. At idle she reads middle towards the low. Sounds like you are ok on the oil pressure.

Thank you! I know the battery is good. I will do some more tests, I'm not sure of the voltage regulator honestly. Anyhow, She runs quiet and smooth so now I must tie up loose ends... and boy is it a long list!

Here's a photo after our drive today.....

20140205_172658_zps97ded7f5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Readjusted brakes today, and got a sweet deal on some "new to me" tires. 225/70/15. I know they're a little small but they'll work. Tomorrow is rust repair on fenders, install the third hood, and the electric fuel pump.

Got the bumper bolted on today. Also installed new 2 gauge battery cables. Discovered the horn wire is broken off in the column, so added an external switch for now. Swapped the hood again. This one looks awful but is the best of the three. Also Swapped to the full wheel hub caps.

20140302_171919_zps3b3c4506.jpg

20140302_171912_zps13bb022b.jpg

20140302_172347_zps283c697a.jpg

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping. Ordering a water pump as we speak, it's been dripping but blew all out today and soaked the engine bay! I'm just going to get a quick paint job. Next winter's project will be to rebuild the 4bbl carb but now I'm completely focused on summer cruising :-D

That looks really good. Considering the damage at the start I'd say you did an excellent job straightening the car out. .

Agreeing with Chris on the gauges. Worry about the oil pressure when it is headed to the low side above an idle. Anything above Low is good, and high is better. As for the battery gauge, remember you are reading amperage, not volts. When the battery is full there will be very little swing on the gauge. When the system needs a charge the needle moves to the positive side. When the generator can't provide enough charge the needle moves to the negative side. When your battery is discharged the needle will swing wide. Low RPM with high energy draw ( Headlights, radio, maybe stop lights and signal) the needle may move to complete negative but that does not mean anything is wrong. What you want to see is the needle move to the positive when above an idle and then settle back to the middle as the battery recharges.

Thanks John! Yes when I look at the "before" photos, I think of what a journey the last year has been. This is my first major reconstruction..... I'll rebuild a motor on the kitchen floor in a weekend, but bodywork never was my forte, seemed more like an art than a science.