55 special 4 door fix up

NC-car-guy

I had similar issues with my hood and I wanted to make the repair as painless as possible. So I found a place that was willing to clip the metal I needed from a good solid hood that had a huge crease in the rear. I didn't need the whole hood and shipping was cheaper. It made the replacement a lot smoother. I'm assuming your inner hood pan is gone too?

You can see some of the hood work on my 56

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/my-1956-special-model-43-a-341530.html

I had similar issues with my hood and I wanted to make the repair as painless as possible. So I found a place that was willing to clip the metal I needed from a good solid hood that had a huge crease in the rear. I didn't need the whole hood and shipping was cheaper. It made the replacement a lot smoother. I'm assuming your inner hood pan is gone too?

You can see some of the hood work on my 56

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/my-1956-special-model-43-a-341530.html

wow you did a great job

• 1 month later...
Yard drove the car today.... interesting...brakes dont work but the parking brake does..... runs quiet and smooth

Yeah, pretty common I think. Mine had a good pedal but could not bleed, rubber lines were so plugged up no fluid would pass them. Time for new wheel cylinders all around, 3 new rubber hoses, master cylinder rebuild and probably new shoes and drums turned. Wheel cylinders and brake hoses are now available at local auto chain stores, not sure about the other stuff. Just be thankful that your park brake cables are not siezed yet. Progress feels good doesn't it!?

Guest shadetree77
Just be thankful that your park brake cables are not siezed yet.

Ain't that the truth! Took me a whole day to get mine off of the car, unstuck, lubed, put back on, and adjusted. I was too cheap to spend 100 bux for a new one!:rolleyes: Congrats on the yard laps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Worked this weekend on replacing the bent upper control arm. What a pain in the butt!!!:mad: Ended up taking the whole thing off the car, assembling on the bench, then re attaching to the car. Also replaced the front brakes. Went to put fluid in the master and the plug is frozen solid. Removed the master and have it soaking in penetrating oil on the bench. Will get a rebuild kit while it's out, and hope it doesn't need to be relined.

Got the master cylinder opened up today..... The rubber parts seem very pliable and the metal plunger seems almost new, but it's frozen in there. I don't get it? How do such new parts "lock up". I have a rebuild kit coming, but wish there was a better option. When will someone make a bolt on upgrade.

LOL. It's hanging by a bungee with a black hook on the other side. I finally got it un seized, honed out, and painted! I got a nasty gram from the state DMV, that I had tagged and registered a car in NC from another state (bought this from Mass.) and have not had a VIN and operability (is that even a word) inspection yet. So I gotta get moving on this a little quicker than first planned. Really all I have left is brake lines, re-install the master, and drill the holes to mount the radiator support and sway bar to the new front frame rail. Easier said than done just as anything is. Now that the roof on the house is done, and the bathroom remodel is almost done I am hoping to have more time to finish her up.

Ya'll would not believe the idiots working at my local NAPA/ Autozone. Jeeeeeeeez Messed around all day trying to get a simple piece of brake line. I finally got the line, installed the master cylinder, bled the brakes and started putting the body back on. Installing body panels is an art that take patience that I don't have..... Lot's of foul language ()*&(*(*)&)^#@*&^T@(*&^T!!!!!!

20130928_181911_zpsd9e728ea.jpg

right now the bumper is way too high and I cant get the hood to line up to save my life. I have another hood on the way.... we'll see!

Got a spare bumper today, but cant seem to get the top bar of the grille, I call it the mustache....Mine is broken and I have yet to find another in one piece! Has anyone ever repaired one? I was thinking JB weld? Can it be chromed after? I heard they broke a lot when using the bumper jack.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

stuck the radiator from the 56 in her today. drove for a trip around the block.... she hesitates when I push down on the gas steady. Also noticed the tired rub bad when I turn hard (it's got 235/75/15) guess they are a little too big. The biggest worry is that when I put it in park, it doesn't lock...the car still rolls.... Is that a hard fix??

• 2 months later...

Well now I'm stressed out! While working 16 hr days I completely forgot to check the antifreeze in the buick. It was already down to 17 by 930 when I gt home. I took out the thermostat, poured antifreeze in then started the car holding a gas can over the carb..... I'm now frozen solid and hopefully my block won't be!

Well now I'm stressed out! While working 16 hr days I completely forgot to check the antifreeze in the buick. It was already down to 17 by 930 when I gt home. I took out the thermostat, poured antifreeze in then started the car holding a gas can over the carb..... I'm now frozen solid and hopefully my block won't be!

Well, freeze plugs serve a purpose! If she freezes the plugs in theory should pop and allow expansion of the freezing water. Sucks but it saves a block from cracking. Let's hope all is well and she will thaw in due time.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

I don't know if you will be OK, but the engine probably will be. If was frozen the water pump probably would not turn, and starting and warming a frozen engine would make all of the casting (aka freeze) plugs pop out. Years ago when I was too cheap or lazy to put in antifreeze, I would drain the radiator if freezing temperatures were anticipated and refill just before driving again. If temperatures were still freezing this would cause water to freeze in the radiator when cold air was pulled across it. Cardboard solved that problem. Then after sitting over a freezing weekend I connected a hose to the hot water pipe at the washer and filled the radiator, started the car and watched rusty water puke all over the driveway. (you don't want to install freeze plugs on a nailhead unless it is on an engine stand)

Willie

Guest Rob McDonald

MATTHEW, hovering between 17F and 27F, your engine block should be fine, especially if there was any antifreeze at all in the system. If you don't see coolant spilling out the bottom, you know you're good. I lost a nailhead that way but it was more like minus 40 and straight water. Most of the frost plugs did not pop but the block sure did.

Recently on a minus 25C kind of day (that'd be about minus 10F), my daily driver Valiant suddenly spewed steam out the rad cap and the temperature gauge pinned over to the right. I'd been fooling around with a periodic coolant leak and didn't have the mixture up to the recommended 50/50. Apparently the radiator froze up, as Willie described. After the engine had cooled down, I topped it back up with a full jug of antifreeze and the car has run fine ever since.

Great job on your frame repair, by the way. My Buick had a bent lower control arm when I got it. It was no picnic replacing that mess but the shop manual was my friend, loopy though it seems. You've got to just keep reading it again and again, with the car right in front of you. Eventually, most things make sense. It also really helps to have the parts manual, so you can see what each piece is called. It includes exploded views that can be very valuable.

Edited by Rob McDonald
congratulations (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no water under the car, so I assume I didn't break it! Got the new sending unit put in, tank re-installed and filled. Was a little upset that the new sending unit pickup tube is not a hard mount... Had to get a bit of 3/16" fuel line to plumb it in.

20140119_145328_zps11f45f4c.jpg

Also have a third hood now, to try to finish up this front end. Still hunting for the top mustache bar.