Title Question

Guest denny_W121

Guest denny_W121

If I got a vehicle from a friend of mine that had stored the vehicle for 20 yrs at her farm. Doesn't have the title, how would I go about getting a title? I know each state is different but there has to be a general process.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest denny_W121

Well since I'm military i can either do it in IL which is where I'll be living or I can do it with Fl since I'm a resident. Which FL is probably easier to do anything with but matbe I'll just call both DMV's and find out what process is easier and cheaper.

I would talk to a car person in each state (FL and IL) who has obtained a title and go with the easiest route. Most states do not want the liability of issuing titles for unknown cars. MN requires the title bonded for 5 years (an insurance policy in cast the car is stolen). I am pretty sure it is still a Federal offence to transport a vehicle across state line without proper ownership.

As mentioned, there is no general process. From what I've heard from my friends and read on various forums, Illinois is a mixed bag and your success depends completely upon where you go and who you talk to. Some owners have indicated massive problems, while others have sailed through the process with no questions asked. Similarly, I've heard that Florida is seriously tightening up their title process and giving owners the run around.

My suggestion would be to seriously consider taking advantage of vehicle registration laws in Vermont. They don't title anything older than 15 years and the only requirement in your case would be to have a bill of sale that identifies the vehicle, price paid, and who the buyer and seller are. See all of the details here: Driver's Forms | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles . Search for the registration/tax/title application and accompanying instructions.

Once you have a Vermont registration (that is all the issue, not a title), you can take it to your home state and have a title created AFTER you can demonstrate to them that it came from a "no title" state. I have done this successfully with motor scooters and am getting ready to do two more soon...it works and it's legal provided you fill out the paperwork honestly. Vermont doesn't care if you're out of state so long as you pay the taxes and fees.

Use caution with the title mill companies. Lots of states are starting to flag titles that come up as having been run through title companies via states like Alabama. It got too easy for dishonest folks to take a stolen car from, say California, and "launder" the title through a title company (claiming the car had no title). So, Alabama has begun cracking down along with the other states that were used. Many have begun to combat title mills by requiring VIN inspections. the title companies are shifting to other states (like Vermont). A title company could charge you $1000 or more to get your car legal through Vermont...that's silly when you can quickly, cheaply, and legally do all of that yourself.

Vermont is one of the last states like this...take advantage of it while you can. I doubt the "loop hole" is going to last forever!

Unless this is a car that you can not live without (i.e. one of a kind, snetimental value, etc.) I would pass on it. I never buy a car without a title because even though there are ways to get a title, it is more trouble than it is worth often.

Just my $0.02

Bob

Guest Bill Miller

Denny, I agree that you should try not to ever buy a car without a title, but that's now water over the dam. I know there are a lot of collector cars out there with absolutely no titles, even Pebble Beach cars, and it's legal to own these on a bill of sale but you cannot legally drive them on a public roadway. Without a title you are also vulnerable to a claim by a prior owner that the vehicle was stolen and you have no ownership rights other than mere possession. You don't say what state the car was last titled in and each state handles titles differently. I suspect you are going to have major problems with title passing through estates of deceased prior owners and the estates will have been closed so nobody will have legal authority to sign transfer documents. Start by calling or writing the appropriate governmental authority for vehicle transfers for the state in which the car was last registered to find out what documentation they require to issue a title to a vehicle that has been untitled for some years. In some states this is the local county clerk, in others it's the office of the Secretary of State or the Department or Bureau of Motor Vehicle Registration. And good luck.

Karasmer, Was it originally a MN car? All my experience has been with out of state cars. My friend in MN, had to bond his 1933 Ford (FL car) to get the title. I think it took him 5 years to get a clear title, they told him if anyone shows up and can prove it is there car, he could still loose the car. I bought a 1929 Graham-Paige from Maine (no titles over 20 years old). I had signed letter from the Secretary of State (Maine), a signed bill of sale, and a signed registration slip, I still had to petition the State of MN to get a title. After a court order, I got my clear title, only took about 9 months. It was the last car I will buy without a title.

Yes it was from MN but I had no paperwork to prove it just my afidavit, it would be great if owners of antique cars would all start the title process in their state in case they decide to sell. That's good to know about the out of state vehicles so next time I come across a deal I will see if I can get the seller to initiate the title process.

In KY you just take it by the local sheriff office, (or they'll send a deputy to your house), they inspect it (which in KY is basically making sure it's got a VIN), and then you get one in the mail in a week or so.

I wouldn't let the fact that a car doesnt have a title steer me away from a deal. I would just do the research.

As far as IL vs. FL, my hunch is that FL would be easier. I have a buddy who used to live in FL and he always complains about the DMV everywhere else.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

You should call your local title office, probably several times and speak to several different people and compare their answers. I don't know if it's a game they play or if they're just not the sharpest crayons in the box, but I have always struggled with the title bureau and their requirements, and I'm there at least once a week. I have a regular clerk I see now and she's very helpful and friendly, but prior to that, it was always a gamble as to whether I had all the right papers, even if I always took the SAME papers.

Nobody here can answer the questions. You need to call them and start collecting information. Get a cross-section of replies and get EVERYTHING that ALL of them tell you to get, then give it a try. Expect it to take 3-4 visits and expect to feel like you're banging your head against a wall. I think they do it for sport, but that's just me. One thing's for sure: it will be a MAJOR pain in the neck.

Good luck!

I must agree with Restorer 32 about Pa. I have two cars in the garage they will not title. One took a YEAR and my state rep. to determine I won't get a title. The other is a 1930 BMW I really hate to cut up and scrap ! But no options. The one year odyssey came from Vt. and was registered there. Prior to that it was in Romania ! Ohio is such a joy to work with, Pa. isn't worth the grief. Can I move back now ? Tried a title service........SCAM cost me $285.

My brother just spent $500 and about 4 months getting a "court directed" title for a 1949 Triumph in PA. It can be done but it requires much documentation and aggravation as well as an attorney well versed in the procedure. Steve Moskowitz recommended a PA attorney who was good to work with according to my bro.

....it would be great if owners of antique cars would all start the title process in their state in case they decide to sell.

X2! When we moved to New Jersey, one of the first things I did was to get my three old cars titled here. It has already saved me money (the title fee now is $60.00 each and was much cheaper years ago) plus when the time comes to sell there won't be any last-minute problems.

I am so glad Maine does not require titles on pre-1995 vehicles. All we need to register is a copy of the last registration and bill of sale. Ultimately, of course, when 1995 and newer vehicles become antiques, they will require titles. By the time that happens, I won't be around to worry about it.