I need help selling 35 year collection of cars and parts in MD, thinking time to scrap nos parts

Guest Henry White

Guest Henry White

I am in a bad way, need some ideas or something. I have buried half my family in the past 6 months so I dont care about nothing anymore. I need to sell my cars and parts now, get my affairs in order. Cars I've had nearly 40 years, wanted to keep for life. Part of me says scrap the parts, take a beating on the cars, because it seems the market is down that bad. but I need the money it should bring. But I have lost so much already that meh, it's just "stuff" I lost what was important to me. No big deal if it all goes to the dump. But I hate waste too. I have no computer skills, no picture capability, no one to help me with this stuff and perhaps most importantly no will to deal with it anymore. I'm old, tired, and beat. Stuff needs to go away now. I dont know what to do. One nice thing about scrapping it is they dont ask questions and it will go away quickly.

My sales stopped back in 2006, this stuff used to sell very well, now I cant give it away. We're talking 1970 Buick GS and most years of NOS Mopar parts. Eight years ago it sold like hotcakes.

I know, pictures are everything, and if it dont sell the price must be too high. I can sell at a loss, but there are limits to that, at some point it isnt worth the bother. I am about to give up.

If I were close to where you live, I would be glad to help you take photos and post and list stuff. I feel badly that you are going through the things that you are dealing with. Don't give up. John

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

Henry if you are serious about moving everything, post the town you live in and maybe a phone number and hopefully someone that is not too far away from you will be interested in your car and parts and will contact you. Or maybe someone will help with selling the stuff. I'd hate to see good useable stuff go to the scrap dealer.

I know a loss of family can be devastating but you need to keep an interest like your cars, or, join a support group at your church or synagog. I lost my wife of 43 years and friend of 48 years 10 years age. I still think of her everyday but the deep pain has subsided. I keep busy with my car stuff and have returned to work full time after retiring 5 years ago. Hang in there Henry. Bless you.

Henry if you are serious about moving everything, post the town you live in and maybe a phone number and hopefully someone that is not too far away from you will be interested in your car and parts and will contact you. Or maybe someone will help with selling the stuff. I'd hate to see good useable stuff go to the scrap dealer....

Another post here with details

http://forums.aaca.org/f153/sale-1961-desoto-tail-lamps-nos-350197.html

Henry has many for sale adds in the last week or so

http://forums.aaca.org/search.php?searchid=185584&pp=

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

henry...i can relate to your situation. my interests and drive has changed too recently. i am slowly liquidating so i can move on. i still like the cars and stuff...but i don't need to own them anymore. i can enjoy looking at somebody elses stuff.

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Found this on another post listing the 1970 Buick for sale three weeks ago: "Seller name, Henry White. Location is Poolesville MD 20837 And asking price is $95,000.00 ( Ninety five thousand dollars ) for car only. Selling at a loss. Will consider close offers.

Contact, email is best at hwhite7860@aol.com Phone is 301-349-2747 evenings are best."

Then five days ago: "Price cut now $90K car only, or for an even $100K you get absolutely everything automotive that I own. Car, tons of goodies, 1940 Dodge coupe, tons more 1940 goodies, and all of my NOS Mopar & Buick inventory."

Then 11 hours ago: "Will consider reasonable offers."

Also additional details about his situation: "I always said I would NEVER sell, but, reason for sale, I lost both my parents recently and now want to buy their house, my boyhood home. I will soon offer my 1940 Dodge coupe and all parts, giving up 38 year restoration. NOS EVERYTHING."

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

8 hours is nothing, for the right NOS parts, you should be able to put a few things on eBay and be ahead on all of your fuel and lodging costs - which should be under $500 if you don't stay at the Ritz Carlton.

I was up at an auction the other day and even with someone stealing some of my stuff I brought home six pallets of old parts with a total investment of around $400. If you want to sell it all, and fast, bring in a good auction outfit, one that knows to advertise to car guys for car stuff. and let them sell it all in lots.

I'm getting mixed messages. The first sounds like a person ready to stick their head in the oven and the other sounds like a person selling his stuff to buy a house. Loosing your parents is tough, but it's life and most of us have been there or soon will

8 hours is nothing, for the right NOS parts, you should be able to put a few things on eBay and be ahead on all of your fuel and lodging costs - which should be under $500 if you don't stay at the Ritz Carlton.

I was up at an auction the other day and even with someone stealing some of my stuff I brought home six pallets of old parts with a total investment of around $400. If you want to sell it all, and fast, bring in a good auction outfit, one that knows to advertise to car guys for car stuff. and let them sell it all in lots.

Well 16 hours of driving round trip, not to mention the cost of the actual driving, fuel and food, not knowing what you are getting until you get there often not knowing what you are paying as well, and still taking the time to sell it is a big investment, especially when I'm buried in stuff to get done here.

I sell parts online as my business. It's alot more time and dedication than it seems like it should be. Especially when you have to figure out what everything fits, clean it, photograph it, describe it, then actually get it boxed and shipped as well as deal with returns or lost items.

I'm not complaining, I like old cars and this is one way I have found to pay the bills but I'm definately not getting rich at it.

That said, I'm always interested in any NOS parts anyone wants to sell.

I drove from upstate NY to central South Carolina last fall in a 22 year old van that pulls 15 MPG and stayed an entire week. The fuel and hotel cost me about $750. It was about 14 hours drive one way and I took my time and went down some US and state roads, hit the Petty museum, etc. Then I did a hobby show while I was in SC and made $300 or so back on my expenses. That doesn't count the things I bought to re-sell when I got home - out of that I sold another $350 on just three pieces. And it was just me, by myself, with money I made selling one of my cars.

If I hadn't just spent a bunch at an auction an hour from me (and still need to make a 4th trip to get stuff from it) I'd go down here no problem and see how much I could fill my van with. If you can't find two or three things you can sell for enough profit to break even on your expenses, something is wrong.

Edited by Pontiac59 (see edit history)

Guest Henry White

Yes, losing your parents is tough. Losing your parents and one son is tougher. But I think I'm more of a shotgun to the chest type than an oven type. But that's just me.

And thank you to those who offered suggestions as well.

Henry, I am very sorry for your loses. Would you consider donating them to AACA musuem for a tax deduction? There would be no tire kicker haggleing and trying to take advatage of the situation. It could be accomplished quickly and do some very good things for them and to make you feel better about life. I've lost both parents and can not imagine the feelings a person goes through burying a child. I hope things get better.

Guest Henry White

You know, For many years I have wanted to donate something to the AACA. 30 years of Hershey mud was some great times for me, so I should give something back. I've never been to the museum, but what with their exotics and many of those owners cars being older than most of my stuff, I figured they wouldnt want what I have. What sort of items would serve the museum best? I have one or two other questions also which I wont post here. But I am receptive to the idea. Let's explore that a lil further. Thank you

If it is any help at all, there is a fellow in Freeport, MA (about 9 hours North of you) that deals in lots of 'different' cars. I am aware of somebody who has purchased from him and it was for top dollar! Goldenrod Garage Goldenrod Garage old cars and trucks sold and talked about (207) 865-6269 are his contact numbers. I can't make any statement or judgement regarding this fellow, or his business practices, as I live on the opposite coast and have only spoken with him once. Possibly he would buy some/all, take some on consignment, or work something else out with you.

Wishing you the best!

Guest Henry White

Nearcholcolatetown, First, THANK YOU. I tired to edit my post earlier to say that.

I have met Steve once, a real nice guy. I have some ideas of what I think would be good items to donate. But there will still be a truckload of items they wont want. Still need to move out a big load of Mopar, my 1970 Buick GS STAGE 1 show car, and many GS goodies, and my 1940 Dodge coupe.

THANK YOU

If it is any help at all, there is a fellow in Freeport, MA (about 9 hours North of you) that deals in lots of 'different' cars. I am aware of somebody who has purchased from him and it was for top dollar! Goldenrod Garage Goldenrod Garage old cars and trucks sold and talked about (207) 865-6269 are his contact numbers. I can't make any statement or judgement regarding this fellow, or his business practices, as I live on the opposite coast and have only spoken with him once. Possibly he would buy some/all, take some on consignment, or work something else out with you.

Wishing you the best!

He's in Freeport, Maine (ME), not Massachusetts (MA)....