The Cars of Cuba

Guest Magoo

Guest Magoo

Here's a little feature on the cars of Cuba. Really fascinating vehicles, kept on the road for over half a century now with no proper replacement parts, mainly by hook or by crook. Some look a bit worse for the effort but hey, they're still running and driving. This story is essentially a gateway intro to a 15,000 photo archive. LINK:

The Cars of Cuba | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

twoplymouths.jpg

3691014249.jpg

3660621105.jpg

Guest heftylefty

This is where the crux of what I have discussed earlier comes into play. At some point in the near future, (and I don't want to get into politics or religion ) the Castro brothers will pass on. They are in their eighties. When that happens, great changes will take place and the island will probably be opened back up to the outside world in general and Americans in particular. I bet that many Cubans will be not just willing but anxious to sell these old cars or trade them for modern vehicles (particularly mini-trucks, the staple of all developing economies) and many will come into the collector market.

This will present a question. What should be done with these cars? Should they be kept as is and maintained, pulled apart and restored to factory condition no matter what, or something else? Is one solution always the ideal?

From all of the articles I've read, over the years, about Cuban cars, I suspect most of them are parts cars, at best. Drive trains have been replaced, body work is pretty crude on a lot of them, I've seen some with wooden trim pieces, painted silver, etc.

I have wondered how much the embargo really had to do with the condition of the cars in Cuba. Parts could have been sourced through third parties in Mexico or any of the other countries that did not cease trade or travel with Cuba. I think it was more economic than political. Most Cubans simply couldn't afford the correct parts.

Some hot rodder would shell out big bucks for that Willys coupe, even if it does have a forklift engine in it.

Guest heftylefty
From all of the articles I've read, over the years, about Cuban cars, I suspect most of them are parts cars, at best. Drive trains have been replaced, body work is pretty crude on a lot of them, I've seen some with wooden trim pieces, painted silver, etc.

I have wondered how much the embargo really had to do with the condition of the cars in Cuba. Parts could have been sourced through third parties in Mexico or any of the other countries that did not cease trade or travel with Cuba. I think it was more economic than political. Most Cubans simply couldn't afford the correct parts.

Some hot rodder would shell out big bucks for that Willys coupe, even if it does have a forklift engine in it.

Most Cubans in Cuba are very poor, and those that own cars of any type are among the most well-off. The embargo was not the sole or primary cause of this, as the rest of the world still interacts with Cuba: the cause has therefore to be elsewhere. I do not want to get into any discussion that could be considered political and so won't, but I think it's fair to opine that changes are imminent, and probably not for the worse because it couldn't get much worse.

Fidel Castro is 86, his brother Raoul is almost 82 and it is thought he will not continue long in power should his brother predecese him. What the changes will or will not consist of or exactly how they will play out is something no one knows, but it's likely that foreign investment and trade and some liberalization of restrictions on private enterprise will be inevitable.

The skills of Cuba's car mechanics, machinists, and maintainers are remarkable and given access to resources like materials and better tooling Cuba could become an old car parts and services source, making highly labor intensive items at lower cost and with good quality if the were inclined to do that and had some outside guidance. Old car parts have come out of South America for decades, but usually they were quality challenged or had issues of authenticity. They were made for a domestic market more interested in utility than quality and did not care to cater to the overseas restoration market. Cuba could be different.

On the other hand, Cuba is largely agrarian, and many of its most entrepreneurial and industrious people have emigrated to Florida or elsewhere. A half century of collectivism has produced what it has produced in Eastern Europe and Russia. Alcoholism is not as bad as Russia, but it's bad. To expect too much too soon would be unrealistic.

Still, when the time comes, I think some American car businesses could do well in doing business down there. Some Cubans will want to keep their old cars and will want parts and materials. Some Cubans will want to sell their cars so they can buy modern vehicles or other things. Buying Toyota trucks will be attractive to many old car owners because the fuel mileage and reliability, at least for the first five to ten years of ownership, will be better.

Guest myold88

60's and newer cars ? I looked at all the photos again and don't see anything newer than 1959 American cars even in the background.

Sorry, Am I missing something ar just not understanding your post ?

60's and newer cars ? I looked at all the photos again and don't see anything newer than 1959 American cars even in the background.

Sorry, Am I missing something ar just not understanding your post ?

You need to go into the facebook page where there are 1000's of photos. I saw quite a few 1960 Chevy's and Fords, a few Corvairs, a few 63 & 64 Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles. I also saw a Mustang II an early 70's Impala, an early 80's Cadillac and numerous 1960's to 70's Jeeps. I even double checked to see if they had Cuban license plates, which they did. There were a few bogus photos including one of a Vette on a snow covered road. It has never snowed in Cuba as far as I know. There were many other photos which didn't originate from Cuba in there as well.

There were quite a few interesting photos that were legit such as a Gullwing Mercedes, a '54 Buick Skylark and a Continental Mark II. The Mercedes was in sad shape while the other two still looked fairly decent.

Other Cuba cars in threads here

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/theres-old-cars-still-cuba-329872.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/cuba-cars-296608.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/cuba-begin-selling-used-cars-315370.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/old-cars-streets-cuba-pics-230085.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/cars-cuba-recent-pics-301765.html

From a post I made in 1 of those

Putting into google translate Google Translate that Stude may have

1 Motor Diesel Fiat 2 Caja de Toyota 3 Freno de disco en las cuatro ruedas 4 Difer

=

Fiat Diesel Engine 1 2 3 Toyota Box disc brakes 4-wheel Difer

Another 52 Dodge

----Dodge 52 Coronet--- - Autos - Carros - Revolico - Anuncios Clasificados en Cuba

Motor original Caja 4ta Volga Diferencial de alta (Toyota) Carburador de lada Frenos de pastilla.

=

The 4th Volga Motor Box original differential high (Toyota) Brakes Carburetor lada pill.

Another Buick 51

Vendo Buick 51 4 puertas motor y caja toyota automática - Autos - Carros - Revolico - Anuncios Clasificados en Cuba

Motor Toyota 3L diesel, caja Toyota automatica con aire acondisionado, dirección asistida hidraulica

=

Toyota 3L diesel engine, automatic air box acondisionado Toyota, hydraulic steering

Another for Ford guys

Ford 52 Custom Line mecánica completa nueva Volga-Misubishi 12 km/l - Autos - Carros - Revolico - Anuncios Clasificados en Cuba

8500 cuc - Ford 52 Custom Line mecánica completa nueva Volga-Misubishi 12km/L 3 fotos Motor de Volga 24 recien repado y caja de Volga 24, ambos en excele

Motor de Volga 24 recien repado y caja de Volga 24, ambos en excelent

=

Engine 24 newly repado Volga and Volga box 24, both in excellent

From what I have read replacement engines are common especially with a diesel (oil)

You need to go into the facebook page where there are 1000's of photos. I saw quite a few 1960 Chevy's and Fords, a few Corvairs, a few 63 & 64 Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles. I also saw a Mustang II an early 70's Impala, an early 80's Cadillac and numerous 1960's to 70's Jeeps. I even double checked to see if they had Cuban license plates, which they did. There were a few bogus photos including one of a Vette on a snow covered road. It has never snowed in Cuba as far as I know. There were many other photos which didn't originate from Cuba in there as well.

There were quite a few interesting photos that were legit such as a Gullwing Mercedes, a '54 Buick Skylark and a Continental Mark II. The Mercedes was in sad shape while the other two still looked fairly decent.

Cuba has always had excellent relations with Canada. In fact, to date Canada has one of the very few foreign companies operating in Cuba (Sherritt). It wouldn't be hard to understand how old car parts etc would make it to Cuba. The next misnomer is that the country is impoverished which just isn't true. There are poor people there just like in any country but the high majority working in any aspect of the tourist trade have a very high income. The problem lies in what they can spend it on. There is so little that is allowed into the country that tehy literally have nothing to spend their money on.

I have spent a lot of time in Cuba and it is interesting to know that when you go to visit they would love for you bring them batteries, headache medicine, blank DVD's etc as tips just because they have no access to it.

• 2 months later...
Guest othercubanjourneys

Hi Magoo and other AACA members,

I am a new member and looked up Cuba to see if there was a tread and/or interest in the old Yank Tanks on the streets of Cuba. I see there is. I wanted AACA members to know about LEGAL Classic Cars trip to Cuba October 21-28, 2013 that my company is offering.

I, along with my colleague, Miriam Saul, are the founders of Other Cuban Journeys. Our company recently received A People- to-People license from OFAC to organize legal trips to Cuba. Although we just received the license, our presence in Cuba goes back over 12 years. We have a long history on the island. My colleague is Cuban American, she and I have been working together and have lead over 100 groups to Cuba. We have developed connections on the island that give us access to Cuban people and many experiences that regular travel companies do not have.

I just returned last week from Cuba (after more than 50 trips) and while there I met with the Vice-president of the largest classic and antique car club on the island. How amazing would it be to bridge the love of these old beauties… between the US and Cuba; an island of classic cars and passionate car lovers only 90 miles away but worlds apart. We are the same but living under very different circumstances. People to people interactions between USA car enthusiasts and their Cuban counterparts can be a catalyst in bridging that gap and begin forming lasting friendships that have many interests in common! OCJ can make this happen.

Being from Michigan, and born in Flint, General Motors is a natural thought. Yearly when attending the “Detroit Dream Cruise” or “Back to the Bricks”, I always dreamed of marrying legal travel to Cuba with classic car interactions with people from both countries. We now have the go ahead to make this dream a reality!

This October we are offering a Cuba trip which will not only include classic car highlights but also a full and rich in depth experience rich in all things Cuban. The traveler will meet with mechanics, car owners, city tour in vintage classic, meet the director of the antique car museum and more, while being immersed in the music, history and architecture, etc. Visiting Cuba is stepping back in time and an experience that is so meaningful.

Our website www.othercubanjourneys.com has the itinerary and trip information or write to us here and I will check back. I am so excited to be entering the world of American Classics in Cuba.

Guest othercubanjourneys

hi D yaros and others,

thanks so much for letting us know about this glitch. i have already asked the website administrator to please correct and add the itinerary. i am sorry. i guess as all things cuban...flexibility is the keyword.

thanks again and the itinerary should be there soon. or write to info@othercubanjourneys.com and i will send the itinerary to your email.

thanks

Guest Magoo
hi D yaros and others,

thanks so much for letting us know about this glitch. i have already asked the website administrator to please correct and add the itinerary. i am sorry. i guess as all things cuban...flexibility is the keyword.

thanks again and the itinerary should be there soon. or write to info@othercubanjourneys.com and i will send the itinerary to your email.

thanks

Best of luck with it, sounds intriguing.

The reason for there being so few cars newer than 1959, is that when Cuba became a Communist country private ownership of cars became illegal. Along with private ownership of houses, businesses etc.

Anyone who had a car was allowed to keep it but no one could buy or import a new one. Therefore, no dealerships garages or parts stores either (they all belong to the government).

Cars and trucks were imported for official government use, usually from Russia or the Soviet bloc.

Incidentally the embargo on Cuba is purely an American invention. President Obama could do away with it any time. As it has been in force for 54 years and has not brought down the Castro government it doesn't seem to be working anyway.