Why I hate shopping the internet rant!

Guest Jeff_Miller

Guest Jeff_Miller

Sorry folks, I just need a place to vent. I've been trying like heck to get parts for my '36 and on the last 3 orders (Bobs, Cars, and ebay) I've had nothing but problems and extended delays in fulfillment.

On one order the seller sent me somebody else's order by mistake. I called the seller to try to get my order and agreed to forward the miss-sent order on to the person that likely received my order. For this effort I was promised that my shipping would be refunded. As it turns out, I not only didn't get refunded for shipping the miss-sent package to the person it should have gone to but I also got charged extra on the shipping for my package and it took about 3 weeks from time of order to fulfillment!

On the two other orders I contacted the sellers prior to purchase to try to confirm before buying. In one order (from a well know and usually well respected purveyor of goods for our cars) I emailed, got a response, followed up by phone and got another affirmative response, and finally ordered only to find out that I needed to wait at least 3 weeks for fulfillment. The goods finally arrive and guess what - not what was promised. I called the seller and they looked in their books and said that they need to call the supplier because they don't really know what I bought. Silly me to think I was paying these guys for their "expertise"! Ultimately I don't expect this one to end well and that it will only result in another valuable month of restoration time being lost as I go back to square 1 and start over again. The worst thing about this experience is that I actually tried to buy from the supplier that supplied the seller but since it took them more than 3 weeks to get back to my request I didn't think they were interested and had already moved on to try to buy from the seller that doesn't seem to know what they sold me.

So I'm trying to deal with all this and yet another screw up becomes obvious today and that puts me over the edge. An ebay seller has the actual part number for a part I was looking for on the auction but the description of the part contains both valid and contradictory information about the part. I contacted the seller and they said "we don't really know anything about the part". I explained what to look for and that it would be obvious if the part was what they are advertising. Their response was to buy it and just return it if it isn't correct. Well the part arrived today and yes, they misrepresented the part and the part they sent isn't what I expected. They advertise that the take it returns but do not refund postage. Since they misrepresented and also suggested I buy and return if not correct I have requested that they not only fully refund my purchase but also pay for return postage. Since it took them almost a week to respond the first time I'm not sure when they will get back to me.

Dang it!!! I wish it wasn't so hard to actually have people know what it is that they are selling and be responsive with communications and sending parts. I don't expect same day but certainly some acknowledgement before weeks go by would be nice.

Sigh... I think I need to find an adult beverage and go back to standing in the garage looking at a half torn apart vehicle still in need of parts :(

Jeff

Jeff,

I feel your anguish and can only offer this suggestion to the problem.... Never rush a restoration.

The process is always more time and $$ consuming than expected. Plan a bit farther ahead if you can. Yes, you won't always know you need a part until you disassemble something. That is a given.

Try to lower your expectations and extend the alotted time necessary for completion and you will be much less frustrated.

I frequently notice parts on eBay that are listed as being correct for my car, although they are clearly mislabeled. On occasion I will tactfully inform the seller as to their mistake and about 50% of the time the seller will continue the auction of the part without any change to the listing and without any regard to the fact they are consciously misrepresenting the item. I feel sorry for the poor soul who purchases the part and is not aware that there is no possibility that the given part is going to work on their car. I myself have a significant collection of parts that I purchased on eBay for my Buick that were not correct or in much worse condition than listed. My sense of morality does not allow me to attempt to sell most of these parts to someone else, and thus I am resolved to just figure in these mistakes as a part of the cost of the restoration.

Thanks,

Guest Jeff_Miller

Thanks for all the support. I've calmed down and I'm working on a recovery plan.

Sadly, I know exactly the issue the Michael talks about and have fallen pray to those unscrupulous vendors myself. It is extremely annoying when I, like Michael, go through the effort of informing the seller and they don't bother correcting the issue. Sadly, I too have a collection of parts that I have purchased that are not what they were represented to be.

As for taking too long, I too am all too familiar with that issue as well. My last car wasn't much to start with and required a lot of work. I worked on it for several years before I grew tired of not being able to enjoy it. I eventually sold it and replaced it with a driver. My plan was (and continues to be) to attack portions of the car over the non-driving winter months and enjoy the car during the summer. Every year the projects seem to take longer than I'd hoped but until this year I have managed to finish them in time for early summer driving.

Unfortunately, with two separate multi-month delays due to parts I am not very confident that I'll get things back together before fall and that has me very frustrated. I managed to make it through all the front end work but after a rather lengthy discussion about wiring I realized I really need to do something about mine before it burns to the ground. Sadly, getting a wiring harness has proven to be not only expensive and confusing it also seems to take forever. I'm contemplating doing my own as well as contacting vendors to see if they might be willing to work in some additions. It looks like the process will likely take me into June and by that time I won't have much time left to work on the car again until next winter. I'm not looking forward to a summer without the car :(

Jeff

Jeff,

With respect to your wiring harness, you might want to consider YnZs Yesterdays Parts | Classic, Antique and Custom Auto Wiring Harness | (909)798-1498

They were able to to supply me with one for my 30-68 at a reasonable price with some customizations added to support turn signals (which did not originally appear on the car) and driving lights. I believe that I received the harness about 3 weeks after I ordered it, and although I have not yet installed it, I am at the point in the restoration when I will be ready for that very soon.

Thanks,

Guest Jeff_Miller
Jeff,

With respect to your wiring harness, you might want to consider YnZs Yesterdays Parts | Classic, Antique and Custom Auto Wiring Harness | (909)798-1498

They were able to to supply me with one for my 30-68 at a reasonable price with some customizations added to support turn signals (which did not originally appear on the car) and driving lights. I believe that I received the harness about 3 weeks after I ordered it, and although I have not yet installed it, I am at the point in the restoration when I will be ready for that very soon.

Thanks,

So the big three as far as I can tell are Rhode Island, YNZ, and Narragansett. RI broke things down into various harnesses with descriptions which until I actually tore apart my car didn't make any sense. YNZ has a single +$800 number for everything listed on their website. Narragansett does the breakdown like RI and comes in $100 to $200 cheaper than the others for what I think is about the same deal.

RI didn't answer my requests by email and until now I didn't want to call somebody that couldn't be bothered to answer submissions from their own web site. I have seen there work and I really like it so I expect I'll be calling them this week.

I have some wire from YNZ and bought from them in the past. I think they might be good to talk to but holey smoke, greater than $800 before I even talk to them has me moving slow toward them. If you don't mind, can I ask what they charged you?

I also priced what it would cost me to build the harness and the mark up looks to be about 3x. Very disappointing that the mark up is so high but I suppose it is there expertise that I'd be buying.

Jeff

I believe that I paid $460 with the customizations and shipping in 2010. I probably will not use an electric fuel pump, but I have the wiring for it if needed. Note that the wiring harness for 1930 is rather simple compared to later years which could account for the difference in price:

Wiring harness $304.00

Simple turn signal system with 6V flasher $80.00

electric fuel pump $25.00

Trippe lights $31.00

Shipping $20.00

Thanks,

Guest Grant Magrath

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. Never had any time for Cars Inc after they ripped us off on some bumper arm grommets. I found Rhode Island Wiring to be pretty good. Threads like this are quite common place over on the Corvette Forum.

In NZ, you can't misrepresent what you are selling, or you will run foul of the law. The stuff you buy has to be fit for the purpose it was intended, and be of a reasonable durability. All backed up by law. Makes things a lot easier and clearer, although folk still try it on!

Good luck!

Cheers

Grant

I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO PUT A REPLY ON THIS THREAD AND HAVE BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL. PLEASE BE WARNED THAT ONE MUST NOT PUT THE BADMOUTH ON A COMPANY OR PERSON IN THESE FORUMS OR THE 'POLITICAL CORRECTNESS' POWERS WILL SHUT YOU DOWN. MY POSTING(S) WERE STRAIGHT FORWARD, HONEST AND WITH NO HARMFUL INTENT TOWARD ANYONE. WELL, I DID LIE A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THAT LAST PART. THE INDIVIDUAL ACROSS THE POND TRYING TO SELL THOSE CRUMMY BUICK WATER RETURN TUBES IS A DIRTBAG. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA

I've gotten so agrivated with the incorrect representation of parts on ebay. I now contact the seller and let them know of the misrepresentation and also inform them that if they do not remove the listing or make a correction, I will report tthem to ebay for fraud. No point in being polite!! ebay has removed several people from listing upon being notified of the the fraudulent practice.

Bob Engle

I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO PUT A REPLY ON THIS THREAD AND HAVE BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL. PLEASE BE WARNED THAT ONE MUST NOT PUT THE BADMOUTH ON A COMPANY OR PERSON IN THESE FORUMS OR THE 'POLITICAL CORRECTNESS' POWERS WILL SHUT YOU DOWN. MY POSTING(S) WERE STRAIGHT FORWARD, HONEST AND WITH NO HARMFUL INTENT TOWARD ANYONE. WELL, I DID LIE A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THAT LAST PART. THE INDIVIDUAL ACROSS THE POND TRYING TO SELL THOSE CRUMMY BUICK WATER RETURN TUBES IS A DIRTBAG. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA

Terry, I am not sure what happened to your reply's to this particular thread, I have not been aware of them being deleted and do not see them below in the mods Deleted Posts section. Please PM me with additional info if you wish for me look into it further.

Terry et al, regarding "badmouthing" companies directly within a thread, yes, that is cause for a post to be either edited or deleted. If one sincerely wishes to make known a bad experience with a vendor or person, they need to follow the guidelines spelled out in our rules. IE No critical or disparaging remarks toward any domestic or foreign business, domestic or foreign product or person. If you have something you feel should be known by the members simply say "For information about Acme Parts Company, PM me". The same thing can be accomplished without the drama of name calling and bashing within the forum which sets the AACA up for possible lawsuits or having to answer to the vendors complaints.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter everyone buba.gif

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

MR. EARL, I REALLY WISH YOU WOULD EMAIL ME DIRECT WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER. THE PREVIOUS REMARKS ARE TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE THEN ACCORDING TO AACA FORUM RULES. THIS ISSUE IS NOT GOING TO GO AWAY. THERE ARE GOING TO BE DIRTBAGS THAT WILL CONTINUE TO PREY ON HONEST FOLKS IN THIS HOBBY UNLESS SOMETHING IS MADE KNOWN TO THE PUBLIC ABOUT THEM. YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT - terrywiegand@prodigy.net I AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

MR. EARL, I REALLY WISH YOU WOULD EMAIL ME DIRECT WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER. THE PREVIOUS REMARKS ARE TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE THEN ACCORDING TO AACA FORUM RULES. THIS ISSUE IS NOT GOING TO GO AWAY. THERE ARE GOING TO BE DIRTBAGS THAT WILL CONTINUE TO PREY ON HONEST FOLKS IN THIS HOBBY UNLESS SOMETHING IS MADE KNOWN TO THE PUBLIC ABOUT THEM. YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT - terrywiegand@prodigy.net I AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA

You have a PM sir.

As a follow up, I had a very nice phone conversation with Terry (luckily I had my hearing aids in and his northern accent wasn't too strong) and as I explained to him and as he was very understanding of, as moderator I am charged with ensuring that the best interests of the AACA are taken into account and that their guidelines relative to such matters as these be carried out. Do I always agree with them, honestly no. There have been several discussions relative to this particular matter and AACA stands firm that no derogatory or negative posts toward any vendor or company is allowed.......even if they are true. Suppression of freedom of speech you ask? Maybe. But we are their guests and I find it easiest to just comply. Sorry but that's the way it is. As hopefully can be seen above however I try to be as liberal as possible in carrying out this charge. Again thanks for everyone's cooperation. buba.gif

Guest BigDogDaddy

Many years ago I had gotten the wiring harness for my '40 Limited from Harnesses Unlimited. It was a very good quality product. I was going to post their website info, but when I tried to search for them, I kept getting dead ends. So Maybe they are out of business. Their logo was an octopus whose tentacles looked like a wiring harness.

I kind of like rants. They are like a cry out against the mediocrity we see from corporate executives and political "leaders" to the cashier at the gas station having a private conversation while you try to pay.

Sometimes I search Ebay for 1960 Buick parts, not often, though. It's a riot what shows up in that "fits 1960 Buick". I would like to see a half hour show on installing those parts- like the O2 sensor. I bet The History Channel would do it if they thought they could make a buck.

When you are an old guy with one foot in the grave you don't need these lame vendors. I missed driving my '60 in the Rochester Lilac Festival Parade because of a bumbling Ebay parts vendor in Minnesota. I missed the Boston Buick Nationals because of a rattling, banging, poorly made exhaust system. His stuff is in the tin pile at my nephews.

Pretty good at ranting on my own, huh. Personally, I deal with them once and take satisfaction that they live on in their own ignorance. I know it is cruel to sit here smiling at the stupidity I never told them of. It is Bernie Daily, Brockport, New York in case I'm on your customer list and only bought once.

Bernie

Guest Grant Magrath

Bernie, I'm about to make your life a whole lot better.......

When searching for parts for your car, type in ..... 1960 Buick -fits

The -fits gets rid of all those car cover, drink holder, o2 sensor type products so you're left with mostly the good stuff.

Cheers

Grant

I must be the luckiest guy buying on ebay. I have purchased 160 items, and not one single issue. Items arrive in quick order, and better than described.

I don't buy cars, watches, jewelry, mostly car related items, and reading this thread, well, I will count my blessings. Well, I did buy my 46 Roadmaster on ebay. When I asked the seller if it would drive ok from Cleveland, to Indy ok, he said, I THINK SO, but I would hate for you to break down, so how about I deliver it for gas money? He also said when I get there if you don't want it, I will take it back home, you pay my gas. I didn't even pay a deposit. He knew that I would keep it, it was only $1,700.00 plus $200.00 for gas. It runs great, and I am super pleased.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeff_Miller

A quick update on my sagas:

The vendor that accidentally swapped shipping labels on my order contacted me to explain that the shipping charges he was going to reimburse me fore were in the form of a store credit. Mistakes happen so I'm glad that he was forth coming and ultimately both customers received their packages. I tried to use the reimbursement today but the vendor's website stymied me. I contacted the vendor by email and he was most gracious about resolving the issue and will have the part I purchased with the reimbursement in the mail shortly. This vendor did a lot to restore my faith in them but the jury is still out on the website.

The vendor that sold me the wrong harness ultimately did good by me as well. I had to send the part back to their supplier and they agreed to pay postage and that I was not responsible for any previous postage or new restocking fees. Unfortunately their vendor took a week after receiving my part to credit my vendor so it took until today before I finally saw my refund. It took some effort but the vendor came through and was pleasant about the whole thing but given that they didn't know what they were selling and the amount of time it took to resolve the issue my faith in this vendor isn't so good.

On the third issue that put me over the edge the vendor agreed that they didn't know what they were selling and just credited me for the part and told me to do with it what I would. Issue resolved reasonably.

Since I still need a harness I started to work with another vendor to get a harness with some modifications to include turn signals, electric fan and a fuel pump. It took almost 2 weeks to finalize the deal. I guess they are busy but it makes me wonder if I'll get it in about a month as they promised. Ultimately, they have what I need so I'll need to learn to relax and let things happen at their own pace.

I also ordered additional parts and apparently the dark cloud of internet shopping continues to haunt me. First paypal gets stuck into thinking I'm not verified and starts sending echecks instead of instant transfers. This adds more delay. I finally see the shipments get sent only to watch USPS re-route multiple packages and what should have made it to me in 2 days took a week.

So life goes on and I'm still at least a month away from having parts to put back in my car. I'm very concerned about being able to drive my car to the Back to the 50's show in June but if the wife is content being a garage widow I might still have time to get the car operational again by then.

Jeff