Color change?

Guest Redmagne

Guest Redmagne

I am considering changing the color when I repaint my 63 from white to red. What is the general consensus on how this will affect the cars value? It's an early car w/ #748 trim code.

Edited by Redmagne (see edit history)

Going from white to the factory Granda Red offered by Buick in 63 will most likely increase the value IMO. Years ago I was of the belief that the value was always better if you kept the color matching Fisher Body Tag code but thats only true if its an eye popping color and pleasing to the most people. One factor that drives the price up is demand. I don't think anyone can dispute there would be more demand for a red car than a white one IMO. I also say this from watching hundreds of ebay and Barrett Jackson auctions over many years. Humans in general like bling and buyers with deep pockets sometimes buy on emotion and nothing gets that flowing more than a killer color.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

My 63 is getting painted now...I changed it to GM silver from the original light blue. In my view, it will make it a more attractive car and maybe better at resale, if I ever sell. I get the whole originality thing, but I don't think it carries as much weigh with our marque. Sometimes I'll see a really cool car, slavishly restored to original, and the color just looks crummy. It makes me sad. Does anybody really want a 70 R/T Challenger in "Expresso tan"? The main thing...the color should look right to you.Do what makes you happy. Go red. PRL

Linda and I had lunch with another ROA couple yesterday. He brought pictures of his '65 Gran Sport w/ 60K on it to show to us. The only thing he said about it in a negarive way was that it was white. He says that it's too nice to repaint but if he ever "needs" to repaint it, it won't be white again. "Just not enough bling." His opinion, I'm just relating it.

Ed

I can't remember for sure if I paid $1900 or $2100 for my car in 1978. I painted it claret mist around 1980. I am pretty sure I can avoid getting hurt on a sale.

On the thought of long term ownership, how many years would you drive a car that was a color you didn't like to make someone else happy in the future?

Bernie

Guest Gseago

What was your intent when you first bought your Rivi, was it for your personal enjoyment or to "flip" it? If you only bought it to resale then I would think that red would make for a quicker sale. If you bought it for a keeper then paint it whatever color you like. My '64 was painted silver by a previous owner but the original color was Grenada Red with red standard interior. I'm planning a pearl silver repaint and upgrading to a deluxe red interior. If you do change the color just make sure the paint preps everything well and "jambs" EVERYTHING, there's nothing worse than opening the door,hood, or drunk of a refinished car and seeing the old paint color.

Edited by Gseago (see edit history)

well I changed mine from teal mist (PP) with black interior to black and keeping black interior.

I think I read here somewhere that its your party and do what pleases you.

Just another opinion

Jim

I think it's "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to." (Leslie Gore - 1965) Please don't cry over driving a car that's not the color you want it to be. Paint it what ever color that trips your trigger. If you're painting it to please some BCA judge, you're only making him happy. Once again, IMHO.

Ed

Guest Redmagne

Thanks for all the responses guys, I am going w/the the Riviera red. I like the white leather and will probably keep that. Petelempert, I completely agree, I've have been refinishing/restoring cars all my life to one degree or another, mostly 55-7 Thunderbirds. The Tbird customers almost always wanted Torch Red. The few G.M. cars I've been involved with had owners that insisted on original colors no matter how ugly, hence the reason for the question. I do intend to sell this car eventually, it's what I do. I do however intend to build the 64 I have the way I want it(05 corvette blue w/#748 interior, lowered on Roadster wire wheels w/2.5" ww tires) and keep it. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Guest Rob J

While my response is a matter of personal preference, as others opinions may differ, but I personally do not like first gen Riv's in Red. It is my least favorite color, and IMO cheapens the appeal of these cars. If I were in the market again, I personally would pass on the purchase of a Riv in Red, irregardless if it was in premium condition. Just my cents.

If your heart desires a color change, consider Black or Silver. Personally I love First Gen's in white however.

I would agree with Jason if we were talking about a 1963 Corvette, but I have to disagree with Jason in regards to a first gen Riv. Sorry Jason, respectfully.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

While my response is a matter of personal preference, as others opinions may differ, but I personally do not like first gen Riv's in Red. It is my least favorite color, and IMO cheapens the appeal of these cars. If I were in the market again, I personally would pass on the purchase of a Riv in Red, irregardless if it was in premium condition. Just my cents.

If your heart desires a color change, consider Black or Silver. Personally I love First Gen's in white however.

I would agree with Jason if we were talking about a 1963 Corvette, but I have to disagree with Jason in regards to a first gen Riv. Sorry Jason, respectfully.

Not many 1st generation Riv's were sold new in red. Kind of backs up Rob's opinion that red doesn't suit the car. If I had one with white interior, I would want a contrasting exterior color, and my choice would be diplomat blue.

John

OK Riviera People: I purchased a 65 Riv, black with a saddle custom interior. I never liked black anything so when it was time to get a fresh paint job I went with a burgundy looking red. It took two weeks before my friend at the body shop came up with a shade I liked. The rest is history. I enjoyed that car for many years.

The First-Gen Rivs are currently enjoying their day in the sun. Except for very few colors I feel that if the car looks nice and has a decent looking paint job it's going to sell quickly at what ever the fair market price is at the time. Mitch

Yes Rob, comment respectfully accepted. I understand and personally aren't crazy about the red either on the 1st gen but in the original post, Redmagne's question was between colors white and red in the context of affecting value. Given those two choices a red car will almost always have the edge vs a white one. Remember most buyers aren't critical, analytical Riviera minded thinkers that we are. LOL. They don't call it resale red for nothing.

Guest Steeleco

A word about white. I love white! Iv'e seen some Corvettes in white that are great looking. I'm not real keen on the original first gen Riviera white but I think a first gen looks great in a nice bright white.

post-85701-143141799792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steeleco (see edit history)

Guest Redmagne

Nice car Steelco, looks great... I have several months before I paint this car so I'm gonna take my time and look around.

Rob J, I do not care for the factory red either and after your post I started looking at them more, with even less interest in that particular color. I really like these cars in black, it is my personal favorite. I just really do not want to spend the hours I would to get it "black straight" and I don't want another black car.

John, I agree the Diplomat blue is nice... I have a 64 in the driveway that is D blue. Not sure what I'm doing w/ that car yet. I just can't part it out.

Bernie I don't blame you at all, that is a great color....

As it stands now, at the top of my list is Marlin blue.

I should have been more specific with my question, I really just wanted to know if I was making a big mistake changing the original color at all, not necessarily red, or blue or any other specific color. Because I've sold every car I've ever bought, I just want to be mindful of retaining it's value if and when I do sell.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies,

Jeff

Edited by Redmagne (see edit history)

OK Steelco: I had a car painted white and the painter asked if I wanted the standard GM Ermine white with the gold tint or the white with a blue tint. The blue tint was Wimbilton White, a stock synthetic enamel color for years at production enamel shops everywhere. I believe the brite white has that blue tint to it. Mitch

If you're thinking about repainting your car and you're leaning towards keeping it white, perhaps you should consider one of the new pearl whites. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I didn't want to stick with a stock color. Most all of the upper end car divisions have one. Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln, Infinity, etc. Check them out. Some of the pearls have a tendency to lean toward a certain tint as was described in the preceding post.

Ed

Guest Steeleco

Hey Ed, I have considered the white pearl myself. We have a Toyota Prius in white Pearl (averages out our MPG with the Riviera). It is a good color.

Guest carlbraun

I agree with Jason Z on the color factor. I follow the GTO, Corvette and musclecar auctions too and can attest to value relative to the ORIGINAL paint color...whether brown, baby blue or pink. However, when I started gaining interest in the 65 Riv I was shocked to see the ULTRA high end GS cars being sold with a paint color change. Specifically, black and silver cars were pulling higher dollars that other colors...IMO. Whats funny is that every black or silver car I inquired about was determined to be repainted with a different color than ma GM did originally...mostly Verde Green or Mist Green...funny. NONE of these high end ebay cars had the orifinal paint color and these are $50K to $65K cars.

I have restored and repainted my car in the original 65 Silver Cloud Silver and it looks great. A secondary reason I went with this color was the fact that Verde Green interior pieces are pretty tough to find while black, white and blue are all being reproduced.

After seeing THIS car (below) I changed my mind from black to silver and, yes, I will be going with redlines on my machine too but they'll be bias tires for originality. Do we know who owns this (once green) car?

post-77544-143141803928_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlbraun (see edit history)

Guest Rob J

I've seen that car on ebay before Carl, and I agree, it is a striking combination. Love the Redlines too!!!

My 65 GS is originally Sahara Mist with the Saddle Custom interior. And, while I actually like Sahara Mist (it's a cool 60's color, IMO), the more I think it over, and look around, I believe when the time comes for me to restore this one, I will be doing an exterior color change to Black. I've seen a couple of Black 65's with the Saddle interior, and it is a striking combo. While it may not be totally original, I feel the Black will enhance it's value. One thing with black paint jobs, you had better make sure you have top quality folks that can block the body laser straight. Black, while beautiful, is a very revealing color.

• 2 weeks later...

While shopping for a 65 I found what was originally a Silver Mist car that had been repainted Flame Red

I purchased the car because of the condition was great, and I love the color.

Because the repaint is good quality, and the color a factory color, I had no qualms spending the $

I believe the change of color does not adversely affect the value, based on the number of unsolicited offers I recieve. :D

Edited by ArtDan (see edit history)

Guest onedesertdog

I'm having a tough time making a veh.color choice, especially with the blue on blue interior. However, the interior will also be redone. Since it is/was Arctic Wht., I like the idea of Wht. Pearl, or Wht. Diamond as mentioned.. Maybe a Arctic wht. with metallic? I wonder if anyone has ever painted a Rivi in Steve McQueen Mustang Green, with black interior?

Not a really popular color but in '63 there was a Spruce Green offered. I've only seen one car this color. The first '63 Riviera I ever saw in Oct. of '62. It was painted Spruce Green and had silver leather interior. Very attractive to that 15 year old.

Ed

Guest onedesertdog

Today, I saw a fairly new Buick in town. I think it was a Lacrosse. It looked to be white diamond in color. I was quite impressed. Color choice is a very difficult decision. lol. Went to the body shop today and looked at chips. Man, some of those metallic reds and blues really pop.

I'm having a tough time making a veh.color choice, especially with the blue on blue interior. However, the interior will also be redone. Since it is/was Arctic Wht., I like the idea of Wht. Pearl, or Wht. Diamond as mentioned.. Maybe a Arctic wht. with metallic? I wonder if anyone has ever painted a Rivi in Steve McQueen Mustang Green, with black interior?

I once owned a 1965 for a very short time that was a dark green, I'm not sure how close it was the bullitt green though.