should I buy a 66 or a 67 Riviera?

Guest Marc Rosaaen

Guest Marc Rosaaen

I’m a new ROA member, but don’t own a Riviera yet. I’m looking for a 66 or 67, and was interested in any feedback on what I’m looking for. My grandmother bought a 66 GS when I was 15, and I got to drive it with my learner’s permit. What a pleasure that was. I fell in love with the body style, the headlights, and the dashboard. Just love those gauges and rocker switches.

My perfect car has to have four things. (1) Power antenna. I can’t stand a blank spot in the dashboard where an unbought option would have gone. But do you think I could get the dash piece and antenna motor from a parts supplier later?

(2) Air conditioning.

(3) Cornering lights. My fixation on this goes back to a childhood trauma. When my dad got his new 65 Buick LeSabre, it was the first new car that I paid attention to. I loved looking at the window sticker listing all the options. But an option he didn't get was cornering lights, which was a pity. And I've been noticing them ever since.

(4) Floor shifter. This combination or (3) and (4) is going to be tough. I posted a Wanted item on Craiglist. I got a response from the owner of a car with that combination, but the car wasn’t in good enough condition. As I’ve cruised Craigslist, it looks like 1/4 of them have the floor shifter and a smaller fraction have cornering lights. If I look for this combination for maybe a year without success, I’ll probably compromise. Cornering lights win out over floor shifter.

It doesn’t have to be a GS, but that would be fun.

I don’t want a black interior, but it’s so common that I can’t eliminate a candidate car because of that. Almost all cars I’ve seen have vinyl upholstery, except for one with leather and another with cloth, but the owner wasn’t sure the cloth was original. Does anyone know what the options were?

Do you have any thoughts on a 66 vs. a 67? I know the 67 is the new engine. Does that make it easier to get parts? I much prefer the headlight and radio knobs on the 66. On the other hand, I slightly prefer the 67 grille to the 66. The chrome strip across the middle is snazzy.

To get a car in good enough condition, I think I’ll be paying up to $15K, which is fine. And I'm happy to go anywhere in the country to find one.

Edited by Marc Rosaaen (see edit history)

I'll share some of my thoughts with you, but keep in mind they're mine and mine alone.

IF, and it's big if, I were to have a choice, I think I would go with the '67. The main reason would be for the availability of parts for the engine. The 430 in the '67 was the first year for the new Buick big block. The chassis was used for the Riviera model up through '70 so suspension parts are going to be easier to find. Disc brakes were available. And the list goes on.

The '66 was a unique model. Last year for the nailhead - introduced in '53, but the first year for the new chassis. These two things combine to make the '66 a one year specific car for quite a few parts. Try finding a drag link for a '66.

It's been a loooooooooooong time since I've owned either one, but one thing I do remember was how hard it was to reach the lock button on the '66; it was at the back of the door. In '67, the lock button was moved closer to the middle making it much easier to reach.

Cosmetically, they're too close together to make that much difference to me. There are little things like the hood spear - they appear the same but on one year the sides of the chrome spear are painted argent silver and for the other year, it's solid chrome. Same with other brite work.

Otherwise, they're basically the same car. The '67 is unique to the 68 - 70 in that it is the only year that the new BOP ST400 transmission had the variable pitch torque converter.

I'm hoping that others who have owned both will chime in as well. Their experiences are probably a lot more current than mine.

Ed

Hi Marc

Welcome to the forum and first let me say congratulations for having the wisdom to come here "BEFORE" you buy. With your budget you should be able to find an excellent car with most options your are looking for. You should plan on looking in an area several hundred or more miles from home. The larger area you search the better chance you have. In my experience when looking for a special car its best to not limit yourself geographically. Paying a extra few hundred or $1000 to view and have a car transported home can be a fun experience as well as money well spent to get the right car (note my last line in signature). Since you are in CA that is a plus for finding a car that doesn't have rust issues although you still have to pay attention to the floors depending what part of CA a local car was from.

I strongly suggest you join ROA as often times some really nice cars show up in the classifieds. Some of these cars are owned by members who do not advertise on the internet.

I've owned and restored various 67s for a period of 30 plus years. The 67 GS with the Starwars air cleaner is my favorite although the dual quad Super Wildcat 66 GS I am restoring now will probably end up edging out the 67.

The main difference as Ed noted is the engine but even that is mostly visual. Stock performance and reliability between the 66 425 nailhead and 67 430 is about the same. With the growing popularity of nailhead engines being used for street rods, it is driving the aftermarket industry to keep up so in the past few years parts for them are getting easier to come by and in my opinion should not be a concern. The nailhead offers a bit more nostalgia in appearance but other than that I'd take a 430 any day. A note on the GS models the 66 GS had a special transmission with different shift points while the 67 GS had the standard transmission found in all 67s. Tough to say how much difference that made in seat of the pants feel. Probably not much if any. Attempts are made to clone GS's so use caution there. Typically those are easy to vet out armed with knowledge. I like the GS option but the 3.42 axle ratio puts the engine in too high RPM range for my liking traveling at todays interstate speeds but it sure is nice around town and for those quick launches. The 3.42 ratio coupled with the variable pitch torque converter in these cars makes them deceptively quick off the line for a heavy car. The standard axle ratio of 3:07 is awesome for highway cruising.

Adding a power antenna option is pretty easy. I too love the cornering light option but that one can be expensive to add later and more difficult as well. Leather was not an option for seating in 66 or 67......no matter what a seller's ad may say. Its often misunderstood. A combination of cloth and vinyl or all vinyl were choices. The cloth inserts were in the seating area which would have been a little more comfortable in hot weather and cold for that matter. There was a standard and deluxe interior with the latter being much more desireable. Easiest way for a novice to distinguish the two is the standard has one interior door handle and the deluxe has two with one being for the rear seat passenger.

I also prefer the floor shift console with buckets on the 66-67s as it seems to really ad personality and the console is quite functional though the strato bench seat with arm rest is a really nice bench seat and honestly might be a little more comfortable for long distance driving. I've had both and they each have their benefits.

There were a host of options available but a couple I really like not mentioned are 4 note horns, AM/FM or better AM/FM stereo, a trunk release and cruise control. Power windows and power seat were pretty common but power vacuum door locks we not though its a handy option for sure. Of course the more options means more things to keep maintained.

As for A/C do not buy a car that has the auto climate control. Buy the manual A/C which fortunately is most common. Caution if the A/C does not work as you could invest up to a couple grand depending what it needs but either way at any cost I love having A/C.

From what you mentioned you have the right approach to finding a car in that it could take as much as a year to find the right one. Do not hesitate to post a potential car here for advice before buying as the folks here are very knowledgeable and helpful and no question is stupid as the cliche goes. You don't have to post the location to avoid someone seeing it and buying it out from under you.

Lastly some parts for Rivs are getting tough to find as well as increasing restoration costs so your money goes much further by buying a higher quality car up front.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest Marc Rosaaen

Mitch,

Thank you for your help. I've been using All of Craiglist everyday for the past couple of weeks, and haven't seen the car you're describing. It must have been sold by now. Oops, silly me. I just Googled "1966 Riviera Chico" and found the listing on a new site, Pirate4x4.com. It has a beautiful blue interior, but alas, no cornering lights or floor shift. It was listed at $19,500 in June, and lowered to $15K in August. Looks like it's still for sale.

From what I've seen on Craiglist, Hemmings, the ROA classifieds, and a couple of other spots, there are gorgeous Rivieras with cornering lights, and more with floor shifts, but none with both. Since I've only been doing this for less than a month, I'll keep being picky for a while. And I'm planning on going to the ROA National in Lexington in June to do some window shopping.

Best,

Marc

From what I've seen on Craiglist, Hemmings, the ROA classifieds, and a couple of other spots, there are gorgeous Rivieras with cornering lights, and more with floor shifts, but none with both. Since I've only been doing this for less than a month, I'll keep being picky for a while. And I'm planning on going to the ROA National in Lexington in June to do some window shopping.

Best,

Marc

I've owned one 66 and one 67 with both cornering lights and console so they are out there.

Guest Marc Rosaaen
I assume you have seen this one. 66, buckets, floor shift, cornering lights, and NOT a black interior. Looks like it needs paint. If you can get it cheap enough, you can add paint and still be in the budget.

Buick : Riviera 2 door hard top | eBay

Yes, this is the guy who responded to my Craiglist wanted notice. I spoke to him, and the car had too many problems for me. The pic of the backseat headliner shows stains, so I'm assuming there's a leak in the roof or around the back window, and probably rust as well.

I very much appreciate your looking for this and letting me know about it.

There's a gorgeous one on eBay at the moment, with cornering lights and floor shift. But the price is $25K, it doesn't have a power antenna and does have an after-market radio. So I'll pass on that one, too.

I was thinking about the differences between the doors with one handle and those with two. My grandmother's had a single handle (much less than half the cars, I would guess), which meant you got the chrome pull thingie, which is angled the wrong way but snazzy nonetheless. Having a handle for the rear seat passenger would only be useful in the odd situation where there's a passenger in the right rear seat but not in the right front seat. How often does that happen? Otherwise, the folks in the front are opening the massive doors.

Edited by Marc Rosaaen (see edit history)

Guest Marc Rosaaen

Little did I realize my comment about door handles would reveal that I didn't go to drive-in movies when in high school. (It reveals something else, too.) I remember them well, though.

When I fell in love with the Riv look I did some research and ended up finding a 67 in Philly ( I live in North Jersey). It seems the 430 has built up a good record over the years and even a guy like me with limited mechanical skills can do a lot re repairs/maintainence. The previous poste all all good info as far as I can see, ESPECIALLY the one about avoiding the automatic temp control with the A/C. I still have nightmares re my 76 Eldorado. It was one of the reasons I dumped it. Take your time, don't be afraid to travel and look for the center console. I gave the guy a deposit, plus an extra few hundred and he trailered it to my house as I was afraid of taking a chance with a car I knew nothing about. It has been fun getting the A/C to work properly, and there is still a lot of guys who know who to work on them. The help from the guys on the forum is priceless- I even print out some of the threads when I think I'm seeing really intricate stuff. Be patient and don't stop looking. I pd $12,000 for mine and have put about $2000 into it- doesn't need much more so you're right re spending $15k. Again, wait for the bucket seats and console- it changes the entire flavor of the car, in my opinion.If you can. access my profile/ I have some pix posted. If not, send me your e-mail and Ill

I assume you have seen this one. 66, buckets, floor shift, cornering lights, and NOT a black interior. Looks like it needs paint. If you can get it cheap enough, you can add paint and still be in the budget.

Buick : Riviera 2 door hard top | eBay

Out of curiousity, I drove out and looked at this car today. The owner offered to let me drive it, but I rode in the passenger seat and let him drive. He bought it not long ago (doesn't even have title work back from Topeka yet) from an ROA member who lives in St. Louis. He gave the previous owner's name to me, so I'm sure he'd share it with you as well. If you have any questions, send me a PM with your phone number and I'll fill you in on what I know.

A couple of noticeable things: 1- It has a '67 grill. 2- the rally wheel on the right front is a 71 - 78 style, the one on the left front is a 66-70 style, and the third one is stored in the rafters. The choke isn't connected correctly. It doesn't leak or smoke. The mileage he's stating is probably correct. Definately not over 100K. I couldn't find any signs of rust anywhere.

He's accepted an offer of $5,500 but the guy hasn't come up with the funds yet. It's first come, first served.

PM me,

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Just noticed a 1967 with buckets and console on Pittsburgh Craigslist. Red with white top. Listed under classic car, awsome. He is asking $7500. Looks good in pics. His number is 724-628-5880. Someone can probably link it in.

Its been for sale for several months and asking price has not changed. Buick Riviera 1967

Its not far from me but I've never seen it in person. Considering the area, I'd be very cautious about rust and bondo. Its got an interesting canister possible part of the A/C system that does not belong. Since the original A/C mufflers on these were prone to rust out, perhaps someone installed a different type but pics are hard to see.