Need advice quickly please

Guest Amicus

Ok, so we finally have an appointment with the State Police for the VIN inspection on the '54 Super tomorrow at 12:00. Since we got the car last Septemer, we have driven it periodically and at least started it regularly. We went out this afternoon to start it so it wouldn't be so hard in the cold tomorrow morning. It ran for a few minutes, then died. Would restart, then die, restart then die. Battery ran down FAST FAST. Put charger on battery, started right up, then died. We started talking alternator, then I realized, duh, old car, it's a generator. We get under the hood and find a generator AND an alternator, with belts around both, but no wires connected to alternator, only generator......WTH?????? Anyway, could it be the generator has gone out? If I don't get this thing to the State Police tomorrow, they cannot get me in until May. I MAY have use of a trailer, but just in case........any ideas??????

Stupid question, does it have fuel? Put a meter on the battery, may be just a weak battery!

Not a stupid question at all, and I thought of that too. Never know when you'll have a fuel gauge go out on something so old. I sent hubby to get gas for it while the battery charged. Still doing the same thing. And just all of a sudden, had NO problems till this. New battery. Why on EARTH would there be an alternator in the there with a belt attached but no wires attached????

Curious. Are you sure it is a generator and an alternator? Not maybe an AC compressor or something.

By all means, this old woman isn't sure about anything!!! lol, BUT, it sure LOOKS like and alternator, and the car doesn't have any AC, not even after-market. I wish I was at home right now so I could take a pic and post it. The two sit with the (what I'm pretty sure is an) alternator sitting on top. No wires attached, but there is a belt on it. Not sure where else the belt is attached. I was on my way out when we noticed this.

Ok, have hubby on the pnone now, and he says that it is an alternator and that the belt goes around BOTH at the same time, almost like they put a belt on that was waaayyyyyy too long and needed something else to put it around, and the alternator is attached with it's own bracket that just doesn't look like it belongs.

Anyway, that aside, could my generator be bad? The trailer is on it's way, but they have to get the car on it. I just need it to keep running for a few minutes!!! LOL

Edited by Amicus (see edit history)

Hmmm. I'm not sure why anybody would do that. I'll just say hmm.

Back to the problem. This is kind of a shot in the dark, since I'm not there and don't know the condition of the car.

I am assuming the car has sat for a while. So you cranked and cranked to start it. That is most likely because the fuel lines and carb had dried out. Keep the charger on the battery so that it is fully charged. Put some gas in the accelerator pump bowl (two screws on right side as you look at it). That will run the engine for a bit so that you can basically prime the fuel pump. That'd be my first thing to try as opposed to figuring out the electrical oddity right now. Check back often, others will chime in soon...

Hmmm. I'm not sure why anybody would do that. I'll just say hmm.

Back to the problem. This is kind of a shot in the dark, since I'm not there and don't know the condition of the car.

I am assuming the car has sat for a while. So you cranked and cranked to start it. That is most likely because the fuel lines and carb had dried out. Keep the charger on the battery so that it is fully charged. Put some gas in the accelerator pump bowl (two screws on right side as you look at it). That will run the engine for a bit so that you can basically prime the fuel pump. That'd be my first thing to try as opposed to figuring out the electrical oddity right now. Check back often, others will chime in soon...

That's actually what we did to start it because it was so cold. It hadn't been started for about 3 weeks. It ran really good (like always) for about 10 or so minutes cause I wanted it to warm up nice. Then, just all of a sudden, it started to die. I tried giving it some gas, but it died. Started right back up, ran a few seconds and died. Started right back up, ran a few seconds, and died. 2 more times, then battery was getting really low. Put the battery on the charger, hubby went to town and got gas just in case. Started right up, no problems, ran for about 2 minutes, then died again..........

Sounds like fuel delivery problem right now. try tapping lightly on the carb, maybe float isn't letting gas in the carb?????? Maybe condensation frozen in the lines? What's the temp like now?

Hubby an a friend are looking at it now, I will relay this to them. It is probably about 35 degrees now (almost like summer! lol)

He says they have it running now and are getting it on the trailer (hopefully) before it dies again....LOL

Amicus,

Sure sounds like you have a partial plug in the fuel line, and it's probably in the gas tank pick up tube.

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and blow SOFTLY into it. Use a rubber hose to the steel line. have someone take the gas tank cap off and listen for bubbles. DO NOT use a compressor, 'cause you are blowing thru the fuel pump, and you could destroy the diaphram.

I had "short runs" like that when I got mine, and it drove me nuts, till I pulled the gas tank, and cleaned out the whole system.

Mike in Colorado

Amicus,

Sure sounds like you have a partial plug in the fuel line, and it's probably in the gas tank pick up tube.

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and blow SOFTLY into it. Use a rubber hose to the steel line. have someone take the gas tank cap off and listen for bubbles. DO NOT use a compressor, 'cause you are blowing thru the fuel pump, and you could destroy the diaphram.

I had "short runs" like that when I got mine, and it drove me nuts, till I pulled the gas tank, and cleaned out the whole system.

Mike in Colorado

How funny, I was just about to post the same thing. The first time it died, my gut said something in the fuel line. Well, they got it started, it died twice, then started and ran and ran and ran.....like maybe something was in the line and went on through. Hopefully that is the case, cause the car is too wide for the trailer and we are driving it to town tomorrow........God, why do I feel like I did when I was young and drove POS cars that I never knew if they would get me there???? LOL Just wish it was closer, about 26 miles one way.....uugggghhhh wish me luck :) Thanks for all the replies.

Guest BigDogDaddy

I think Mike is right. It sounds like you have what some guys call a "Jellyfish" in the gas tank. A Jellyfish is a blob of gunk that floats in the tank and as it moves around it clogs the fuel line, and then it unclogs and clogs again. it can drive you nuts trying to figure out what is wrong. The only cure is to drop the tank and have it cleaned out.

Phil

Mike, where are you in Colorado? That pic almost looks like the San Luis Valley....I have some property up there.

I'm in Buena Vista, north of poncha pass, and the mountain in the background is "Princeton" looking west from our yard.

Bigdog has a point about the "jellyfish". Dropping the tank on these old cars is Job # 2, which comes right behind Job #1, which is pulling the pan and checking the oil pump.and fixing as required to get some pressure. Most of us have been there/ done that, and it's not a big deal. It raises your comfort level a bunch, and saves those embarassing tows home. Just treat it like an adventure and take your time.

Mr Earl, friend of Terry, also has a point, in that there will also be trash in the fuel pump filter bowl @ the bottom of the pump. one bolt to pull and clean out this small trash catcher. Check it for rust, 'cause water settles in there.

When you put her all back together, put a BIG clear plastic filter back at the tank, that you can see from your creeper, when you're taking naps in the garage.

Mike in Colorado