wheel bearings

79 speedster

Try an industrial bearing supplier. Not a car parts place.

If you have the Timken number all the better. If not, walk in with your bearing. Measure the diameters of the shaft with a vernier if possible & take a photo to the supplier

Google:- NOS bearings, car bearings, wheel bearings, Timken replacement bearing and what ever else you can think off

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

As stated above your local industrial bearing supply house is your friend. We use Kaman Bearing, not sure if they are nationwide or not. Take your original bearing in. Likely they can find something that will work. At worst you might need to have a sleeve machined to adapt the i.d. and/or o.d. to your application. You will be surprised how much less expensve bearings are from a bearing supply house than from an automotive bearing supplier.

Thanks for the response from all. I did go to our industrial supplier which told me that they are out of production. The bearings in question are Timken outer bearing # 236 with cup # 2320 and inner bearing # 236 and cup # 2520.

I took the bearings in and they took all of the dimensions and came up with nothing stock fromTtimken except for one of the cups that is listed for $1200. Hoping they are missing something and where mistaken. I don't know if there are suppliers that specialize in old stock sizes so I'm reaching out to everyone for some input or advise.

Seldonguy, Thanks for the response That will be my next step. I had been told they where available but seems it would be easy to adapt the hubs to a close match as long spindle taper matches something available. On a different note, you had mentioned to a friend of mine in this forum you had some dealer pictures of the 14 overland speedster. Would you share those with me?

Just for the experience I've tried finding these on the internet. A quick search shows they could be found, but the price is astronomical. Re-working the hubs is almost certainly the way to go. I've done this quite a bit with earlier brass cars for which the bearings are almost never available and always found something that could be adapted, albeit often with really creative machine work. If you take the measurements, you can compare them to the current Timkin catalog to see if there is something quite close. An easily replaced bearing is always a better choice.

I Have a couple of cases of nos old bearings I will check out those numbers for you. It will be a few days before I can get to them. Bill