Barn find Super

Northshore Boyz

So Ive owned a restoration/speed shop for many years here in washington.I normally get quite a few leads on old cars and normally it an old ford ltd rusting in some field.This time was though I believe I scored one of my best finds of all time.Over the years Ive restored all kinds of different cars from grand classics to muscle cars but this is my first 56 buick.Im hoping the experts on here will help me thru the task of finding what I might need and documentation.There were a few nice old classics in this Garage.all so dusty you couldnt see throught the windows.But the the car that really caught my eye was the 1956 Buick Super convertable.only 23 thousand original miles.Been in ths spot since the mid 60s,Should be a nice resto cause every last piece of the car was there.all original.does need a complete resto though.survivor is out of the question.So thought I would include some pics and look forward to getting to know you.

Merry Christmas

Paul

post-90280-143139307099_thumb.jpg

post-90280-143139307114_thumb.jpg

post-90280-143139307127_thumb.jpg

That 1956 Buick Super has a TON of potential !!

A great find !!

One of my (many) dream cars is a red & white '56 Roadmaster convertible, and the Super is about as close as you could get.

My best advice is for you to read up as much as possible before starting a restoration.

If you are not yet a member, I urge you to consider joining AACA. You can phone our headquarters 717-534-1910.

Our library has a wealth of information, and you will also have access to our research team.

There are tons and years of experience on this forum, and in the AACA, as well as the Buick Club.

Welcome to the FORUM, and feel free to ask for whatever advice will help.

There are no "dumb" questions -- only the ones we do not ask.

Best regards,

Marty

They also added 56 Roadmaster "bombsight" fender ornaments...and replaced the rear window on the top.

I've been in the BCA for a few years now and that is only the 2nd 56 Super convertible I've seen. Great find, and a great ride too. I already love this SUPER car!!!

Already paying off with great info and contacts.Thank you all.I do have some questions about that rear window.Im told that the window should be plastic but the top is original from what I can tell and that window sure looks factory.the patina on it looks very correct along with the interior light just below it.Did not know about the bomb sights but they also look very original and the undercoat covers the scews that hold them.also with the correct patina.I just dontt know.could this be some sort of copo car?There is an x afer the serial number.just not sure at this point.This will be fun.I will join the AACA ans look for some sort of Documentation.Is any one aware if there is a version of a Marty report but for Buicks?

Thank you in advance.

Paul

The interior is not bad.the front seat is pretty split,the door panels are good but have some warpage.the back seat is great.there is a small hole in the floor pan infront of the drivers seat.all the power windows need to be rebuilt im assuming but should recondition well because the car has such low milage they are just atrafeed from sitting for 50 years.everything is there though.just for giggles i hooked up a batt and fount the signals worked the headlights work the horn works,the dome lights work,gauges work.not bad for sitting as long as it did.

post-90280-143139308435_thumb.jpg

Already paying off with great info and contacts.Thank you all.I do have some questions about that rear window.Im told that the window should be plastic but the top is original from what I can tell and that window sure looks factory.the patina on it looks very correct along with the interior light just below it.Did not know about the bomb sights but they also look very original and the undercoat covers the scews that hold them.also with the correct patina.I just dontt know.could this be some sort of copo car?There is an x afer the serial number.just not sure at this point.This will be fun.I will join the AACA ans look for some sort of Documentation.Is any one aware if there is a version of a Marty report but for Buicks?

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Very Nice!

X is for the hydraulic pump for the convertible top.

I would doubt the top and window were factory. They are only good for a few years. (edit I reead your post. Sitting snce the early '60s that could be the original top. If that rear glass acme with the car I would bet a dealer add-on.)

AACA is good. for your Buick documentation BCA is better.

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

From TeamBuick site http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/56.php

<center style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333015441895px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 204);">322 cid V8</center><center style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333015441895px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 204);">[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD][h=2]1956 Buick Production Figures[/h][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SPECIAL SERIES56specwagon.jpg

Model 41-Four-Door Sedan......................................66,977

Model 43-Four-Door Riviera....................................91,025

Model 46C-Convertible Coupe....................................9,712

Model 46R-Two-Door Riviera...................................113,861

Model 48-Two-Door Sedan.......................................38,672

Model 49-Estate Wagon.........................................13,770

Model 411-Stripped Chassis........................................96

Model 413-Stripped Chassis.......................................576</pre>[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SUPER SERIES56_super.jpg

Model 52-Four-Door Sedan......................................14,940

Model 53-Four-Door Riviera....................................34,029

Model 56C-Convertible Coupe....................................2,489

Model 56R-Two-Door Riviera....................................29,540

Model 520-Stripped Chassis.........................................1

Model 521-Stripped Chassis.......................................336

Model 531-Stripped Chassis.......................................144</pre>[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CENTURY SERIES56cent.jpg

Model 61-Four-Door Tourback Sedan..................................1

Model 63-Four-Door Riviera....................................20,891

Model 66C-Convertible Coupe....................................4,721

Model 66R-Two-Door Riviera....................................33,334

Model 69-Estate Wagon..........................................8,160</pre>[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ROADMASTER SERIES56rmriviera.jpg

Model 72-Four-Door Sedan.......................................11,804

Model 73-Four-Door Riviera.....................................24,779

Model 76C-Convertible Coupe.....................................4,354

Model 76R-Two Door Riviera.....................................12,490

Model 721-Stripped Chassis........................................144

Model 731-Stripped Chassis.........................................96</pre>[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

</center><center style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333015441895px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 204);">Total Production...............................572,024</center>

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

Thats really cool,Thanks for the info.I do believe the extra upgrades were most likely Dealer add ons.Love the production numbers.Thanks again.Should be moving the car to the resto shop here in a few weeks.Ill include pics with updates on how its going along with any "suprises" always interesting.

Happy new year

Paul

Nice Find. :cool: As a general rule we guestimate maybe 10 percent of any given model to survive to be 25 years old. And then a few are lost every 10 years after that. Most likely less than two hundred left in various condition, which includes parts cars and projects. Looks like you have a good solid start. Dandy Dave!

Guest garys64wildcat

Paul,

I live in Port Orchard also and I have a white 64 Wildcat Convert. Great find, looks like a nice project car. There are a few Buick owners in Pt Orchard. What is the name of your shop? Because I need some help on fixing a small dent that I got at a car show last summer. I need an estimate for the insurance co.

So I can have it fixed before spring cruising season. I also belong to the Puget Sound Buick club.

I would love to see the car.

Gary gandcman@hotmail.com