1929 Stutz with Buffalo wires with one central wheel nut

Otahuhu

What side of vehicle has the left hand threaded nut?

If the left hand nut is on the right side of car wouldn't the wheel rotation lossen it?

Is there a technical reason as to what side of vehicle a right or left hand central lock nut fits?

Take it from my experience...there IS a difference. I made the mistake of putting a left handed hub on my MGA right side once. The knockoff unscrewed itself and my wire wheel went out the back of my front fender, rolled across the intersection and ended up on someone's front porch.

I am pretty certain that if my MGA wheel knockoff unscrewed itself, yours will, too. I doubt that there is someone on the forum that has had that happen to their Stutz. And yes....usually the left handed studs, nuts or caps go on the left side of the car.

The Buffalo hubs are labeled Left side and Right side with directional arrows. The threads are quite deep and will not go on the wrong side. There is a bit of an art involved in getting them on and off but not hard to do. You don't by chance have a spare left side on do you? I need one for the Marmon in my avatar.

-Sam

Simple Answer ---

It has to do with centrifugal motion:

as the wheel turns in a forward motion, if a "left wheel" with a conventional; right-hand thred were not properly tightened, the spinning (centrifugal) motion could cause the nut(s) to loosen even more, causing the wheel to come off of the car.

This happened to me late one night on the NY-17 Quickway. A "mechanic" did not tighten the lugnuts on the left front wheel of my '58 Impala convertible. I lost a wheel at 60 mph -- not a fun experience !

My '66 Dart GT convertible and my daughter's '66 Baracuda, as well as Dad's '57 and '56 Plymouths all had left-hand lugs on the left (driver's) side.

Interesting... the rear axle of my 1910 Mitchell is full floating (the wheel is mounted on the axle tube and not directly attached to the axle). The ends of the axle tubes have a LH thread on the right side and a RH thread on the left side on the threaded collars that retain the wheel bearings. Its always been like this as there is no way to change it.

Interesting... the rear axle of my 1910 Mitchell is full floating (the wheel is mounted on the axle tube and not directly attached to the axle). The ends of the axle tubes have a LH thread on the right side and a RH thread on the left side on the threaded collars that retain the wheel bearings. Its always been like this as there is no way to change it.

Interesting indeed! Do you by chance have a cross section drawing or photo of that axle setup? Maybe something from the instruction book for the car?