I got the Packard back from the paint shop today....

Guest 37Packard

Guest 37Packard

....and I was very happy with the job they did. They only had it for 8 days and they did a lot of sanding and they also removed the headlights. They put on one coat of primer, three of base and three of clear coat. The car was originally green but was painted this bronze color back in the late '60s so I just went with that again since most people seem to like it. I think the job is well worth $5000 and I would have been happy to pay that amount but when the guy said it would only cost me $975 I almost fell over. Next I'm going to paint the black strips in the bumpers and the little red areas on the bumper guards. It turns out that my wife isn't too crazy about the car since it doesn't have a heater, radio, turn signals or seat belts so I may put it up for sale in the near future....

post-87438-143139267352_thumb.jpg

post-87438-143139267356_thumb.jpg

In 2013 there are several AACA Tours within easy driving distance of you. Sign up for one and introduce your wife to the real fun of

the antique car hobby. See the USA in your antique car. The touring group is mostly couples and she'll have something other than

the cars to look at and meet the nicest people, both locals and AACA tourists while seeing the USA from the backroads.

Guest 37Packard

Thanks, Don.

My wife has no interest in old cars, Paul. She's a gardening nut and has at least 15 gardens which are always keeping her busy. Plus, we have 7 dogs so one of us always has to stay home with them. Our last "vacation" was two nights in Peoria, Illinois in July 2000 at the annual convention of the Edsel Owners Club. We drove over in a '58 Citation in 95 degree heat and the car had some overheating issues so she didn't get too much enjoyment out of it. She goes to her gardening clubs and activities without me and I attend old car shows and cruises by myself. We're both happy with that arrangement and that's what is important. Thanks again for your comments....

I wish I had a paint shop like that around here. Even if I do all the prep work myself the guy said materials were going to be 1500. That doesn't include what his labor is going to cost and I will be the guy to cut and buff the clear. I've been told 5,000 is the starting price around here. I've learned to like my cars with a little more patina;)post-43003-143139268691_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143139268689_thumb.jpg

Guest 37Packard

Mine had too much patina. I tried to "touch up" the paint but probably made it look worse. There were several areas on the car that I tried to touch up but I quickly learned that I had no clue what I was doing and that I needed to take it to a professional and I'm obviously very glad that I did....

post-87438-143139268693_thumb.jpg

post-87438-143139268696_thumb.jpg

Guest 37Packard
What brand of paint was used? Did you talk price when you dropped the car off? WOW, what a deal, seems like he forgot to add materials.

I'm happy for you, HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING.

Regarding your bride, all that counts is that you two are happy with your lives.

Best wishes,

Dale in Indy

He gave me a written quote when I dropped off the car which included an extra $150 for sanding and removing the headlights. I don't know what brand of paint he used. My brother in law took his '92 F-150 there a couple of months ago and they fixed a couple of dents including a big one in the top of the tailgate, then they painted it a different color including the door jambs and he paid a little over $1000 for all that. He said he felt that he underpaid since they did such a nice job and I feel the same way. When I picked it up today I left the 8' topper there off my '94 F-150 and they're going to paint it for $150. The topper is red and the truck is dark blue so it didn't exactly match too well, but $150 seems very reasonable too.

I hope you and yours have a nice Thanksgiving too, Dale....

Guest 37Packard
That's a gorgeous paint job! Do you have the exact name of the paint used by chance?

I agree-they did a great job. The color came on a 1985 Subaru and it's called Inca Bronze and the code is #70207. I probably offended some Packard purists by not going back to the original green but everyone seems to like this color including me so I went with it again. Thanks and have a nice Thanksgiving..............Dave in KY

Guest 37Packard

It originally had a heater but it was removed at some point before I bought it. I blocked off the two holes in the firewall where the heater hoses were. I know you can add all that stuff including turn signals but I'm going to just drive it as is and let the next owner add those things if they want.

One thing I would like to do is eliminate some of the free play in the steering. Can I just tighten up that bolt on the steering box or could that damage it? I read somewhere that if I tighten it too much it could damage it....